TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have ridden in Mexico, did you buy insurance for your motorcycle and if so from whom?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't do it. ….. I have ridden the Baja to Cabo and the mainland to Guatemala on road bikes…. Mexico is a absolutely beautiful country filled with warm and friendly people...... but it is also very dangerous......because the cops and robbers will rob you of everything you have and you will be happy to escape with your life..

I ran out of luck and was thrown in prison.... not jail...prison...my only crime being that I was a "rich" American....I managed to bribe the Warden and the Mayor and got out on bail and rode the back roads all night to escape across the border at Nogales ….only because the Mexican Border Patrol were sleeping... spent the next week crapping and throwing up and thanking my lucky stars I was safe in the USA...

If you go, you will need car/bike insurance..... and make sure your health insurance will cover you...... and buy a medical evacuation policy because if you have a accident and survive it...they will kill you in the hospital...

Read the State Department Level 2 travel advisory for Mexico....No Muy Bueno ….

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The medical evacuation insurance is a good idea .

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have been going to Baja since 1964...... and just got Back from Catavina for 10 days. Go to discover baja.com They have the best insurance and road information etc. for Baja lots of good reading.

ronnydog

·
Registered
311 Posts
Where are you heading? I've got a buddy who winters in Baja in the the Cabo/Los Barilles/La Paz area. He camps in his Delica van and has a TW (not a forum member - yet). I can connect you if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have been going to Baja since 1964...... and just got Back from Catalina for 10 days. Go to discover baja.com They have the best insurance and road information etc. for Baja lots of good reading.

ronnydog
come on ronnydog, lets see pics of cataviña!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At this point I am just investigating what is needed to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle. I was thinking of crossing into Mexico at Yuma and travelling east and head back into the USA below Tucson. Not sure if this is worth while and Linda would prefer that I do not try this at this time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The State Department keeps statistics on crime against Americans in Foreign Countries and issues advisories ….

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
For those of you who have ridden in Mexico, did you buy insurance for your motorcycle and if so from whom?
I buy it online from Baja Bound but thankfully have never needed to use it. You will also need to get a FFM (tourist permit) and a TVIP for the bike if you are venturing into mainland Mexico at the border. The TVIP requires a deposit that you can put on a credit card. They refund it when you leave and you will not have a problem getting it back.
We have crossed at San Luis Rio Colorado near Yuma before. Crossed last January at Sonoyta. There is no Banjercito there so you can't do the TVIP but you don't need it for Baja. My favorite is to cross at Agua Prieta and ride down Rt17 just past Esqueda, and then cross over to the Rio Sonora and ride down Rt118 to Banamichi and stay at the Los Arcos Hotel. It is a great introduction to Mexico and is owned by an American....with a TW200!
This is Tom Matthews, owner of the Los Arcos Hotel:

Banamichi:

Here is a link to our ride report from last January's ride to Baja and back to Tucson: https://advrider.com/f/threads/me-mrs-trip-we-got-a-thing-going-on.1033329/page-32#post-34018956

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
There is so much to see within our borders, there is no way I am taking the chance to visit Mexico. The hoards that are trying to get out of there should tell a reasonably bright person it is no place to be.

·
Registered
604 Posts
At this point I am just investigating what is needed to travel in Mexico on a motorcycle. I was thinking of crossing into Mexico at Yuma and travelling east and head back into the USA below Tucson. Not sure if this is worth while and Linda would prefer that I do not try this at this time.
Just ride through southern AZ then. You get to stay in the states and the scenery is just about the same. Start in Gila Bend, south to Why, then just west of Tucson at Three Points go south again. East at the Arivaca turnoff then a gravel road from Arivaca to Nogales. From there you can go to Patagonia, Sierra Vista, Bisbee, and Douglas. Then back north to Tombstone, Benson, and Tucson.
I've done that run many times and there's always something interesting from feral pigs to turkeys to aliens. The illegal kind. Oh, and a buttload of Border Patrol Agents. During late winter, early spring the weather and the scenery is phenomenal.
But if you do cross at San Luis and ride east through Mexico, I suggest you cross back over at Sonoyta/ Lukeville, then north to Why and over to do the rest. There are very few vehicles or structures of any kind and no law enforcement between San Luis and Sonoyta . Just you, dirt, rock, reptiles, and circling buzzards. From there to Nogales you have to travel further south into a part of Sonora that is unpredictable, unforgiving, and the locals are the law and prey on everything in order to survive. Mexico isn't exactly a tourist group ride through Africa.
There is my suggestion. Take it or leave it, but that is how it is. Good luck my fine fellow.
Jason

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hey, ejfranz, its really easy. Here is the border between Douglas, Az and Agua Prieta, Sonora.
That looks like a wall to me?

Vamos a Mexico!

This is the US side. They are just scanning you. Nobody says "goodbye"

You just ride through. They usually will just nod as you enter Mexico, once in a while they will ask a question or tell you where to go. Otherwise, once you ride through the border, take the first right and pull ahead and go into the fenced parking lot on the right. The guard there keeps an eye on things. Mrs Trip has her helmet and her paperwork in hand, and is going in to get her permits.

Oh, look! that rusty POS in the background is the border wall. Steel slats.
Go right up this ramp and in the door. Smile. They know why you are there and will be happy to take your money. You can use a credit card. You go to one window, get the paper, take it to another Banjercito desk and pay, then back and get it stamped. If it is not crowded, as it usually has not been when we've gone, it will take 15 - 20 minutes tops.

They have decorated the wall on the Mexican side.

That's it!
Then just ride south on Mex 17 out of Agua Prieta. The ride to Banamichi is beautiful, through the mountains and along the river through little towns. Banamichi itself is like Mayberry RFD, very laid back and totally non-threatening. You will arrive well before dark to a really nice hotel. You should take your wife with you!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts