TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a fun day in the woods on March 18, 2016. Was cold out - mid 30's, with lots of slush and soft sand. Was a challenge for me - still learning to ride. Hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed the ride. Music: Government Mule. Song: "Mule". First time loading a video, so hoping this works! If it is slow loading, watch it in 480p.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Had a fun day in the woods on March 18, 2016. Was cold out - mid 30's, with lots of slush and soft sand. Was a challenge for me - still learning to ride. Hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed the ride. Music: Government Mule. Song: "Mule". First time loading a video, so hoping this works! If it is slow loading, watch it in 480p.
I used to love on Long Lake, just a bit North of there. Tons of great riding all around that area. Cool video, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Nice! I ride that area a lot. I live about 7 miles from Fife Lake from April thru Nov.

Last year I crashed pretty hard on a road like you were riding. I hit a big trench across the road made by some logging equipment. The bike stopped and I didn't. I wish I'd have had my GoPro on. My 67 year old bones held up but I still laid there in the sand for a while taking inventory.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I used to ride all those trails from Lake DuBonnet (Interlochen), to Baldwin, Fife Lake south... Didn't recognize that bridge or swamp area. Where is that at, what loop?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good ride...thanks for the video we should try to get a spring ride with a group together some great trails here in Michigan.

·
Registered
114 Posts
we should try to get a spring ride with a group together some great trails here in Michigan.
Let me know if you decide to get a ride together. Depending on my recovery from knee surgery, I'd be game.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice ride! Glad you were able to get out in the cold. I was in MI this past weekend; kzoo area. Really wished I could've been on my TW, as it looked like there was a lot of great riding to be had! Are there a lot of trails and loops in the area, or were you riding on private land?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Amanda:

Here is a link to an index of all the Michigan DNR maintained/administrated ORV trials. There are more than this and many are interconnected.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_14793_55471-38330--,00.html#cedar_creek_trail

Many are ORV but a lot are just single track (motorcycle only).

As you can see at the top there are quite few in Lake, Grand Traverse, Wexford, Roscommon, hell the whole northern half of the Lower Peninsula. A very cool day drip is the one you see at the far left half way up, Silver Lake Sand dunes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=silver+lake+sand+dunes&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIl6eXhtXLAhVlnIMKHcyXC3oQsAQIMw&biw=1366&bih=673

I used to live about two miles from there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was in MI this past weekend; kzoo area. Really wished I could've been on my TW, as it looked like there was a lot of great riding to be had! Are there a lot of trails and loops in the area, or were you riding on private land?
The Great Lakes Dual Sport club has made maps and they share them. 3500 miles of single track, 2 tracks, forest roads, and gravel roads connected all in one state but on both sides of the big Mac bridge. Their electronic maps are free or you can buy printed maps. GLDS Expedition Michigan | Great Lakes Dual Sporters

Where were you around Kalamazoo? I live near Kalamazoo just north of Plainwell. If you come up this way I can take you to what's around here (mostly over in Barry County) but there is a lot more as you go north of here a little over an hour away.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a spot we could meet and ride from in Gladwin. Acces to a few areas. Plenty of room to park and a shop if something's needs wrenched on. Gladwin ORV is close, St. Helens is 30-40 minutes. image.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've got another video on different trails which includes some hills and deer. Will get some Joe Satriani guitar in there and finish it up. That little footbridge is about 2 miles east of where snowmobile route 55 crosses Supply Road at Fife Lake Road. After that, a few hundred yards later I headed north on the snow-covered trail up to the north branch of the Boardman, where you saw the washout. I DID make it across...(took a long loop around to the east and north - wasn't brave enough to try crossing).

I get up there a lot all summer. Will let you all know in advance and see if we can coordinate a ride. Hope you're feeling better Tirebiter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot a shoutout to Devils Advocate for the trail links. Thank you. Amanda - I was on all state land, actually the Traverse City State Forest. You can ride for hours legally without duplicating trails. There are single track trails which are much tighter - will send a video in a few weeks when I hit those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Amanda:

Here is a link to an index of all the Michigan DNR maintained/administrated ORV trials. There are more than this and many are interconnected.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_14793_55471-38330--,00.html#cedar_creek_trail

Many are ORV but a lot are just single track (motorcycle only).

As you can see at the top there are quite few in Lake, Grand Traverse, Wexford, Roscommon, hell the whole northern half of the Lower Peninsula. A very cool day drip is the one you see at the far left half way up, Silver Lake Sand dunes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=silver+lake+sand+dunes&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIl6eXhtXLAhVlnIMKHcyXC3oQsAQIMw&biw=1366&bih=673

I used to live about two miles from there.
When I lived in Durand I made 6 or 7 trips a year up to and around Glennie and Curran hunting. I wish I had owned a TW back then because there were countless two tracks to explore.

Tom

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oscoda to Glennie has endless two tracks and roads, trails to explore. Lots of sand, but really cool exploring.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Oscoda to Glennie has endless two tracks and roads, trails to explore. Lots of sand, but really cool exploring.
I was too poor to own a motorcycle when I lived there. However I found the money for camping, hunting, and fishing gear. I had a nice canoe as well and I spent more time in that than I did in my bed at home:D

Tom

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am fortunate that my family and friends have places "up north" that I have been able to visit most of my life. My mom lives in Tawas, on Lkae Huron, we have a family cottage in Gladwin and one of my best friends since High School has a 600 acre "ranch" in Lake Ann. If my wife liked the woods, we would never be in the city if there wasn't school or work ��

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like we may have some interest in a Michigan spring ride with so many great spots to pick from.... I'm in the middle an I'm in....who else??? When??? What kind of ride??? Give me some feedback before starting a thread for the ride. Sorry didn't mean to jump this thread but it has the title spot on...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My wife and I prefer Da-yooooper.. We have land by Paradise.. Good two tracks with a little less sand.. We ride sleds near Indian River.. We've tried the dubs but can't get away with the darn "SOFT" sand.. Baldwin hasn't been that kind to us either....OMM.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts