TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Tdub to NM this weekend to get some much needed trail riding in. Rode the Capitan Gap Road. This is the mountain range in Lincoln National Forest that burned in 1950 where Smokey the Bear was found. The road was rugged and climbed quick in some places. It was a great challenge for a newbie. I had a blast, learning is living! :D
DSC02626.JPG DSC02618.JPG DSC02622.JPG DSC02609.JPG Had what we think could of been 2 bears climb the trail behind us. I've never seen a bear in the wild nor their tracks. We saw their prints in the sand on the way down. Hell of a weekend!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Great ride. Thank you for sharing the experience.

Tom

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Sounds like you are having some good adventures. I like the bear paw pic, Smokey must have been on your trail.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Nice ride even though like many places up yonder here, fire area. Interesting it's also where Smokey Bear was found. I probably learned that in elementary school, but long forgotten on my part.

I'm always aware of the bear when I ride. Wolf's and moutain lions too! Them is some attention gettin' tracks! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Nice looking day for an adventure... nice pictures. And yes Admiral, "those is some attention gittin tracks"

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Always fun looking for tracks and trying to ID them. I even have a little book to help. Awhile back me and Joemama were riding in his area and we were seeing bear tracks everywhere....and yes I did see a bear zoom into the brush. I'm always on the look out for critters. Makes riding more fun.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
So Troll we hear you are good at harassment mitigation counseling, is a big stick advantageous when counseling bears?;)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
So Troll we hear you are good at harassment mitigation counseling, is a big stick advantageous when counseling bears?;)
don't know.... I wasn't brave enough to try.... The bear in the photo is very respectful and doesn't intrude on your space. The big stick has a sharp point for pitching salmon over the weir.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DSC02602.jpg DSC02589A.jpg DSC02620.JPG

Took me a week to figure out how to make pictures below 5mb limit. I wanted to share a picture of the bikes on this adventure. The trail 90 made the climb with us without any major problems. That's one tough little bike.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Great pictures troll, hope you know I was just teasing.
Sp cache, so how did you figure out how to reduce photo file size below 5 mb limit? I still have difficulties with existing photos and have just commanded camera to take low resolution pics in future.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wow! Great Pictures! Is that near where you live or on an adventure, troll?
A friend and ridding buddy of mine manages and operates a fish weir in a very remote watershed. The weir is a carcass weir designed to catch the dead bodies of spawned out king salmon so that scale and ear bone samples can be taken. I was privileged to be invited in to the camp for a week. The bears are amazing and very tolerant of the three or four people working the weir. At any given time we would have 5 - 8 adult female grizzlies within sight, some with cubs. At times we had 700lb bears within feet of us. It was truly an experience of a lifetime. Two hour drive and a half hour helicopter ride from where I live.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend and ridding buddy of mine manages and operates a fish weir in a very remote watershed. The weir is a carcass weir designed to catch the dead bodies of spawned out king salmon so that scale and ear bone samples can be taken. I was privileged to be invited in to the camp for a week. The bears are amazing and very tolerant of the three or four people working the weir. At any given time we would have 5 - 8 adult female grizzlies within sight, some with cubs. At times we had 700lb bears within feet of us. It was truly an experience of a lifetime. Two hour drive and a half hour helicopter ride from where I live.
Wow, that's amazing! Great post and history, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I uploaded photos to Paintshop on windows. Saved and uploaded to forum. It dropped to 4.98mb not sure why, but it worked. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts