TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Riding Regulations in your state/province

7K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  oldworld 124 
#1 · (Edited)
I met an adventurer rider at the Flying Monkey Rally and he had a 1/2 dozen OHV permits on his bike.
Could we start a list of requirements for each state / province to ride off road there?

In BC you are fine to ride street legal motorcycle off road and non street legal vehicles on FSRs if you have a minimum of $300,000 3rd party liability insurance. For those of us in BC who do ride single track, I would strongly suggest you purchase a trail pass either from BCORMA or your local motorcycle club. I support DualSportBC as they are working to keep trails open in BC on our behalf.

In Oregon if you are going to travel the dunes you need their OHV card (FREE) which you can get online after taking a test and you purchase a OHV sticker (~$10 for 2 years) for the vehicle you plan to use on the dunes and a flag. The TW meets all the other requirements. For those of you in Oregon is this also required for other OHV trails?

As I do not plan to be riding in California in the summer, I believe I am good to go. I see that there are areas that are closed from June 30 to Sept 1. Anyone care to explain what is needed in this state.:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Here in NB you just need your license, insurance, and the bike to be plated for road use. Those looking to get their motorcycle license need to take the equivalent of the MSF course ($400), then do at written test at the motor vehicle office. You then get a graduated license; essentially the same as a kid getting his learners permit..can't ride after sunset, can't carry a passenger, zero blood alcohol on the bike, and can't pull a trailer. After a year with the graduated license, you go and do your road test with the driver examiners following you and telling you what to do via 1-way radio. After passing that you have your 'full' license.
No yearly safety inspections on bikes, so nobody has those ugly fork stickers or placards.
As for riding off road...that's a farce...sort of. The majority of New Brunswick (Canada) is woods, but there is no bike trail system. There are official 'managed' trails through the provincial ATV federation, and maintained (grading, dozing, bridges over running water, etc) by the area ATV clubs. 2-wheeled bikes are not permitted on an official, managed ATV trail..subject to fine by the OREO's...the Off Road Enforcement Offers, a part of the RCMP cruising the trails on ATVs and snowmobiles. There is also a network of managed snowmobile trails, open to use by anyone through spring/summer/fall (until around the middle of December when they start grooming). After that point, anyone not a snowmobile can be fined, or more likely, beaten and left in the woods for dead by pissed off snowmobilers. It sounds great that anyone can run the snowmobile trails in the off season, but because of the fact that they're 'trails' when there's snow and ice over them, they often pass right through the middle of bogs...also, rocky and rough trails that would just beat you to death.
The ATV federation use a $100/year pass system for their managed trails. The snowmobile federation has a pass system, more expensive for most but the price drops with the age of your sled.
You cannot buy a trail pass for the ATV trails for a 2-wheeled bike. The clubs won't sell you one even though they're always crying hard times. Even if a club did actually sell one, the OREOs have stated in no uncertain terms that a motorcycle does not fit the definition of 'an ATV' in the act, and will fine you.
The ATV federation won't share their trails with the snowmobile federation, so there are usually trails in the woods running somewhat parallel to each other or at least ending up at the same place...ATVs only on one, sleds only on the other..and each of the federations running their own groomers day and night. The ATV federation won't allow motorcycles on their ATV trails even though they say they can't afford groomer fuel, even though there are tons of dual sport and dirt bike riders that would drop the $100 for a pass for their trails in a heartbeat.
All that said, pretty much the rest of the trails are fair game. There are no OHV parks or 'state forests' that you have to pay a fee to enter and ride. Crown land is open to everyone, with small exceptions like newly lumbered and reforested areas being gated off. People around here are pretty good about land use, and the only big plots of private land that's usually posted No Trespassing is placed where people are actively working, cutting wood, etc.
My rule of thumb when finding a little 'Hmmm, I wonder what's down there?" road or trail is, if there's no sign, chain, gate, or rope across it, and it doesn't have a civic number sign by the road, it's open to go explore.
I can't complain...the trails that are closed to bikes because they're managed ATV trails are a tiny drop in the bucket if you look at the amount of trails and dirt/lumber roads that are wide open for riding.

I just really can't understand why the ATV and sled federations can't play together...share the trails and share the grooming in the winter.

#3 ·
Nevada is pretty liberal, one can now even drive side-by-sides on public roads in towns with less than 100,000 residents. Usually no special permits other than for a few localities like Sand Mountain, a dune riding park outside Fallon. Motor vehicle use regulations on Federal lands within the state simply state that vehicles must conform to Nevada state law.

#4 ·
Ever try riding a sled down a trail that has been destroyed by an ATV?? We have the same issues in WI.

Our biggest problem is the state taking over and tarring the rail road right a ways for bicyclist. Once the state takes them over there is NO motorized recreational use, PERIOD. Even though the snowmobilers are the ones that secured the use of the old rail ways.

#5 · (Edited)
Shucks, in Nevada there are still open road races like the Silver State Classic where you can hang it out over 90 miles of highway. 250 mph speeds over the finish line have been recorded, but not for this old ’37 Ford.

Or take a drive to Virginia City.

Hijack, if just for the sound effects...nothing to do with Riding Regulations

#6 ·
When we went to the Black Hills in South Dakota we had to get an OHV sticker there as they didn't recognize Idaho's OHV sticker. So, best to check with each state ahead of time and what area in a state such as state land or federal land requirements.

Generally, in Idaho your good to go if your vehicles are registered, licensed, proper OHV stickers and what not in your state or province. Idaho will recognize yours at least for a time period.

It's way too complicated for me to navigate the information and present it here as fact. Old web information is mixed with current information.

Here are some links if you're interested.

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/activities/atv-motorbike

https://www.offroad-ed.com/idaho/studyGuide/OHV-Registration-and-Title/40101401_700074556/

https://www.offroad-ed.com/idaho/atv-law.html

http://idahostateatv.org/IdahoOHVSurvey.pdf

#39 ·
Black Hills

When we went to the Black Hills in South Dakota we had to get an OHV sticker there as they didn't recognize Idaho's OHV sticker. So, best to check with each state ahead of time and what area in a state such as state land or federal land requirements...
The trail system in the Black Hills is managed by the USFS, and they are the ones that issue and require the OHV permits. It's not done by the state of South Dakota, and that's why no reciprocity. :( $25 annually for residents and non-residents. Oh, and if you're going to ride in the Black Hills in Wyoming, you need that sticker too. Info: Black Hills National Forest - Recreation Passes & Permits

Reactions: ejfranz and admiral
#7 ·
California: “As I do not plan to be riding in California in the summer, I believe I am good to go. I see that there are areas that are closed from June 30 to Sept 1. Anyone care to explain what is needed in this state.

In California if your motorcycle is street legal and currently insured and registered in any state or nation you usually need no further permits for operation on or off-road. The seasonal closure cited refers only to “
red sticker” vehicles, i.e. ORVs manufactured after 2003 that are not compliant with CARB emission standards ( Think modern 2-stokes ) . Non-compliant pre-2003 ORVs and all complaint ORVs require a green sticker for off-road operation on public lands. These seasonal closures
for red sticker vehicles are based on air quality concerns and varies by location and date.
These regulations are not relevant for dual purpose bikes like our liscenced TWs.
I fell into a grey area once when my Washington plated KDX 2-stroke’s legality was questioned on a forest service road above Sonora Pass. It took well over an hour for a female ranger, then a sheriff, then a Federal Law Enforcement agent to show up, argue with each other about jurisdiction and statute interpretation issues, call in to supervisors and Washington DMV before they finally released me. The unfortunate part was during the time the Law Enforcement Agent interviened I had to be uncomfortably handcuffed “for my protection”. No apologies were ever offered for their infringement on my rights. The presumption of innocence is limited to the judicial system, law enforcement often operates on the assumption of guilt.

#8 ·
California: “As I do not plan to be riding in California in the summer, I believe I am good to go. I see that there are areas that are closed from June 30 to Sept 1. Anyone care to explain what is needed in this state.

In California if your motorcycle is street legal and currently insured and registered in any state or nation you usually need no further permits for operation on or off-road. The seasonal closure cited refers only to “
red sticker” vehicles, i.e. ORVs manufactured after 2003 that are not compliant with CARB emission standards ( Think modern 2-stokes ) . Non-compliant pre-2003 ORVs and all complaint ORVs require a green sticker for off-road operation on public lands. These seasonal closures
for red sticker vehicles are based on air quality concerns and varies by location and date.
These regulations are not relevant for dual purpose bikes like our liscenced TWs.
I fell into a grey area once when my Washington plated KDX 2-stroke’s legality was questioned on a forest service road above Sonora Pass. It took well over an hour for a female ranger, then a sheriff, then a Federal Law Enforcement agent to show up, argue with each other about jurisdiction and statute interpretation issues, call in to supervisors and Washington DMV before they finally released me. The unfortunate part was during the time the Law Enforcement Agent interviened I had to be uncomfortably handcuffed “for my protection”. No apologies were ever offered for their infringement on my rights. The presumption of innocence is limited to the judicial system, law enforcement often operates on the assumption of guilt.
Even if you were riding a motorcycle that wasn't plated and compliant, handcuffing you during the process, shame on them or whoever did the handcuffing. That is just ridiculous.

#9 ·
So Fred, would my 96 DT200 street legal smoker lead to me being handcuffed in California?

#10 ·
Fred This video showed up after one of the ones you posted above

Can you look into getting all the info this guy has into your videos: Heart-rate, elevation, grade, speed, distance and where you are on the course?:D

For those of you with some time to kill this is so far is a good watch (I am at the 12 min mark). Admiral you may want to look away around 4:30 mark as the rider does the unspeakable - cross country.
This looks to be a fun ride, but I would not want to race it.

#15 ·
Fred This video showed up after one of the ones you posted above

Can you look into getting all the info this guy has into your videos: Heart-rate, elevation, grade, speed, distance and where you are on the course?:D

For those of you with some time to kill this is so far is a good watch (I am at the 12 min mark). Admiral you may want to look away around 4:30 mark as the rider does the unspeakable - cross country.
This looks to be a fun ride, but I would not want to race it.

Oh man, I thought you were gonna say "water crossing"! :D

Looks like another video to add to my "watch later" (in the winter) library. Though it does kind of look and feel like winter already so I guess I could be like you and start watching it now!:p

#11 · (Edited)
As far as the ’96 DT200 2-stroke goes I think you would face some serious scrutiny but not likely be handcuffed since you have an honest face and a Canadian passport.
Depending on your and the officer’s attitude they might want to throw the book at you though...make sure your headlight is not too high or low, license plate properly illuminated, horn subjectively loud enough, all turn signals work to the officer’s satisfaction.
Just be polite with any seemingly unreasonable officers. Most are professional and nice, others just might be having a bad day or don’t like bikes. Keep your Go-Pro running.
My incident with the KDX dates from the late 80s and since officer was responding to multiple back-up requests he figured I must be seriously afoul of the law even though my record had come back squeaky clean.
Simple answer? Go ride in Nevada.:p

#14 ·
As far as the 2015 TW200 (make sure your headlight is not too high or low, license plate properly illuminated, horn subjectively loud enough, all turn signals work to the officer’s satisfaction...
I'm in trouble.:p

#13 ·
Sometimes I see bicycles with the cheap Chineese 2 stroke add on engines running around. I see them a few times each and then never again. I always figured the rider got tired of it but maybe the local law enforcement ended their "reign of terror". I think small 4 stroke add on engines are still OK.

I know a forum member that bought a 2 stroke engine for his bicycle. I asked if he had any trouble buying it being from Commiefornia. No real problem except he had to assemble it once it got here. I guess technically he didn't buy an engine, he only bought parts and parts aren't banned, at least not yet.

#16 ·
CONNECTICUT - Fun is illegal. NO ATVS (4 wheelers) anywhere, anytime, ever, on land that is not private property. No mtorized anything on all state land. The end.

Only 2 exceptions

Off road 2 wheels:

Pachuag State Forest in eastern Connecticut - open all year, street legal, PLATED, registered, insured motorcycles on the Enduro loop trail system. No fees. Any kind of bike at all as long as it is street legal . Not sure how diligent the rangers are with inspecting "street legal" part (lights, mirrors). But, there are numerous 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes in Pachaug, all plated and lights. The problem is location. It takes a bit oven an hour for me to drive there.

Thomaston Dam - Seasonal (2018 scheduled opening May-October??), REGISTERED with the DMV, stickered dirt bikes (must be shuttled there, can't ride those on the road to get there, unload the bike and ride), no need to be street legal, but of course if you're plated just ride there and enter. No fees. Must have 96db limit, spark arrestor, etc. Rangers check. I've seen it. This place is only 25 minutes ride for my house. But it's mostly hard. Not very big. Once you've ridden there a few times, and if you are chicken of trying the hard stuff (ME...) it seems small.

There are also off road races which are sponsored my NETRA and other clubs, which do take place with the State's OK. But limited only for a day on the weekends every so often.

That's it.

#17 ·
CONNECTICUT - Fun is illegal. NO ATVS (4 wheelers) anywhere, anytime, ever, on land that is not private property. No mtorized anything on all state land. The end.

Only 2 exceptions

Off road 2 wheels:

Pachuag State Forest in eastern Connecticut - open all year, street legal, PLATED, registered, insured motorcycles on the Enduro loop trail system. No fees. Any kind of bike at all as long as it is street legal . Not sure how diligent the rangers are with inspecting "street legal" part (lights, mirrors). But, there are numerous 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes in Pachaug, all plated and lights. The problem is location. It takes a bit oven an hour for me to drive there.

Thomaston Dam - Seasonal (2018 scheduled opening May-October??), REGISTERED with the DMV, stickered dirt bikes (must be shuttled there, can't ride those on the road to get there, unload the bike and ride), no need to be street legal, but of course if you're plated just ride there and enter. No fees. Must have 96db limit, spark arrestor, etc. Rangers check. I've seen it. This place is only 25 minutes ride for my house. But it's mostly hard. Not very big. Once you've ridden there a few times, and if you are chicken of trying the hard stuff (ME...) it seems small.

There are also off road races which are sponsored my NETRA and other clubs, which do take place with the State's OK. But limited only for a day on the weekends every so often.

That's it.
It's interesting what we consider an inconvenience. It takes us a bit over/under an hour to get anywhere out here and I don't think twice about it. If it takes us two hours to haul the camper/TW's somewhere for the weekend we think that's a quick trip. Unless you live in the metro area's out here, everything else takes time to get to it.

I did get checked this year to see "if" we even had an exhaust by the forest service. First time. I have been checked for our off-road sticker twice and each time I was still legal to ride without the sticker so I'm not sure why they checked it. We had ours and they were satisfied.

#18 ·
Connecticut sounds like a horrible place to try to ride a new Beta Xtrainer. Much sympathy.
It takes a bit oven an hour for me to drive there.” More sympathy from a guy who bought a place he can ride out the back door directly into the woods.
In the wide open west I’ll think nothing of a two hour shuttle to a worthy day ride destination, or four hour drive to a multi-day camp-n-ride adventure. 11 hour annual drive to Moab can almost be done on autopilot.
It is a shame that so many
places like Connecticut are not off-road friendly. I’ve happily hiked and paddled there and rode my friend’s sisters Harley Davidson Baja 100 a few times on private dirt roads picking berries on Mt.Riga...guess I was an outlaw.

#23 ·
The 2 stroke did better in the tight rocky sections. At around the 12 minute mark, I don't get why they were having so much trouble get through that section. It was like some of those guys had never seen rocks and water. We should plan a TW ride of that loop.

#24 ·
I’ve followed a friend on a play day sample of some of the Gran Prix course on his CR500. He was heavy guy with taller gearing so he screamed ahead in the open stuff and struggled in the tighter canyons. I didn’t enjoy it...rocky, dusty, no shade, no water & without a worthwhile destination. There are better rides and destinations in the region in my opinion. Come visit so Rider21 & I can share some.:p
We have gotten very off-topic in regards to ejfranz’s regulation-by-state investigations prior to his next trip.
Where else may he wander? Need input r.e. Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico?

#25 · (Edited)
I like the sound a 2 stroke makes.

To ride the way the guy in the video rides one has to be in really good shape. Strong arms, strong legs and lots of stamina -- read that as not being out of breath after a few minutes , you know, huffing and puffing trying to get caught up with your oxygen deficiency.

Edit: I finished watching the entire movie and it was pretty good. That guy is a good rider however I noticed towards the end fatigue was setting in and his reactions times were getting longer. I could hear huffing and puffing too. All that being said, I wish I was half a good as he is.

#26 ·
Rules in New Mexico are so rare I'll probably not remember them. If you are 16 or under you have to have a helmet. If you are on a public road you need a license plate. Many of our public roads are so primitive that even LE don't know whether a plate is needed or not (no maintenance). Our public lands are so abundant and roads on them are so isolated, there is really no need to ride offroad. Many areas are marked as wilderness study areas, but that designation only means stay on existing trails (not an encumbrance for me).
As to availability of riding areas, my most frequent ride is a 40-50 mile loop, that involves only about 3/4 of a mile on pavement (from my house) and otherwise is two track or isolated sand or unmaintained gravel across sage flats or pinyon juniper arroyos and bajadas. I might see two other vehicles on that ride, but maybe not. If I go the other way, I ride 14 miles of pavement and am in a vast area where I can literally pretend I'm 20-30 miles from any town (because I am) and at the extreme of a 40 mile one way ride, I'm at least 10 miles from any but 2 ranch houses. In short, I sympathize with conditions in the east, and remind you there is a reason why some of us live where we do. Come enjoy our west but respect it, because if not it will go away behind locked rancher gates, and restricted wilderness areas.
I avoid riding offroad, because I don't need to -- I have plenty of isolated, primitive, and hard scrabble road to ride on without running over cactus, lizards, or living soils.
BTW I don't necessarily live in the sticks; I'm 7 miles to a loaf of bread, PO, or liquor store, and 45 miles to an airport, university, and hospital. What more could I ask for.

#27 · (Edited)
New Mexico is indeed the Land of Enchantment and home of simple roads and liberal riding. I spent 3 weeks working while camped at mouth of Montechello Box Canyon and would only occasionally see the school bus splashing down the creek/road/ bus route canyon floor, never anyone else. Great riding on existing simple roads. Nice adobe ruins of old fort whose claim to fame was alleged overnight holding pen for Geronimo. Perano, you could likely suggest a few dozen nice rides to demonstrate freedom one gets with few regulations.

This is the school bus route: Wadi Mountainous landforms Canyon Narrows Valley

#28 · (Edited)
wow! pine trees sure make effective trail brakes, stopped him dead in his tracks.

obviously the tdub isn't going to win any races with 2-smokes, but that is a low speed race that the tdub could hold it's own in. seems like a lot of the "trouble spots" where people went down, the dub would roll up and over with less problem.

#29 · (Edited)
Washington State

In Washington you are able to ride on and off road in most* places with a street plate with up-to-date registration, and proper driver's license with proper motorcycle endorsement and a DOT rated helmet.

Specifically for non-residents... Washington offers broad reciprocity rules. Basically, if you have everything you need license and sticker wise to ride where you are from and where you are from would allow Washington residents to ride there, then you are pretty good to go. Regarding OHV/ORV/ATV specific stickers: Washington has a registration type plate/sticker for off-road vehicles that applies to residents. Stickers are not available over-the-counter. This registration is only needed when a vehicle is NOT registered for on-road use and street licensing. Again, reciprocity rules are generous, so if you bring a bike with no plate but a current OHV sticker from where you live, you should be okay.

*This allows you to be on any public street or highway, ferry boat, ocean beach, and forest service road within the state. This also applies to designated motorcycle trails inside US forest service or any other public land with the exception of some Washington state owned lands. It may be in your best interest if you plan to ride in Washington State DNR forests or ORV areas (state owned not federal forests or lands) to also pick up a Discover Pass Discover Pass, WA - Official Website | Official Website $35/annual or $11.50/day. Available online or over-the-counter at many sporting goods stores, etc., anywhere that sells a fishing license.

For further info, see my full write up in the Washington specific thread here: http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-.../9133-washington-state-tdubers.html#post95128

#30 ·
I am going to bump this thread as it has some good info and some mild hijacking’s.

Reactions: Leisure Time Larry
#31 ·
In Colorado, all plated bikes have to have an OHV sticker to run on anything that is designated a trail ( even jeeps, cars and trucks who are on a trail must have a sticker). Non plated bikes must have an OHV sticker/registration. Many who sell the stickers including those who work for state parks don't even know there is a difference. Colorado DMV does not register or plate any side by side or atv. They also do not recognize any other states laws on that. Some counties do allow non plated vehicles on public highways/roads to get from one trail to another, providing the operator is at least 16 yrs. old, has a drivers license and the vehicle is insured. I have 6 bikes and they all have OHV stickers. This money does get distributed to various profit and non profit groups for trail maintenance etc. They also have accountability reports where all the money goes.

Reactions: ejfranz
#32 ·
I have plates and a license, and I just ride wherever I am at........from near the Artic Circle to near the Equator and I have never had a problem related to licenses or permits........ I did get my ass thrown into prison in Mexico, but I managed to jump bail and escape across the border at Nogales ...... no muy bueno...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.