TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I often ride alone into the remote areas of the Shawnee National Forest here in southern Illinois, where there are roads with no houses for miles and no traffic. I am in my late 60s, and I don't know anyone else that rides. Most of my contemporaries think I am nuts to be on a motorcycle anyway.

Before I leave the house, I tell my wife my general location where I am riding and share my location with her and my son on my iPhone. However, in the areas I ride, cell phone service peters out and there is no signal.

I never take chances, but that doesn't guarantee that a crash or breakdown won't happen.

I was wondering if any of you other solo riders use any of the personal locator beacons or satellite messengers used to send one's location in case of emergency.

I've wondered about those vehicle trackers, but they appear to use cell service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Several members use them. Hopefully a few of them will chime in.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
"What!? That sounds dangerous! You should never to that!".....Yeah, right! Like tommy said, many of us do, that's how we roll.

I did this research earlier, as I knew that I was going to be backcountry riding alone in Utah after the Moab gathering.

The choices:

-PLB (personal locator beacon)
-Private service i.e. SPOT or inReach

If your purpose for having it is for rescue if ever needed, then go with a PLB hands down. If you will primarily use it as a tracking device so the wife or others can tell where you are, or you want the sat text features, etc. go with the other services. They have SOS features, but you have to have your subscriptions up to date, and they are no where near as reliable IMHO. The PLB is a one time purchase, no subscription fees to keep up on.

I chose a PLB... this one: http://amzn.to/2styUoD

Also, when carrying a PLB, consider keeping it on your person somewhere and NOT mounted to the bike. What if you are in crash where you are separated from your bike and are too badly injured to make it back to your bike to activate your device for rescue?

Resources:

How to Choose a Personal Locator Beacon or Satellite Messenger | OutdoorGearLab

p.s. I copied this from my original post in this thread: http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/20426-gps-locator.html This topic is also discussed here: http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic/41249-what-if-situation.html and here: http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/23073-communication-rescue.html

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
This is also a worry of mine, I quite often get off the regular seasonal roads because I'll find an old trail hidden from view and want to see were it goes. Sometimes these trails get unrideable because they are so over grown and other times they go for a long ways into places that probably haven't seen a motor vehicle in a long time. Not a good place to crash or breakdown by yourself. I worry about it, but I still do it. One of these days, it'll probably bite me.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Don't wait till it's too late Scotti, sounds like you should get one bro. ;)
This is also a worry of mine, I quite often get off the regular seasonal roads because I'll find an old trail hidden from view and want to see were it goes. Sometimes these trails get unrideable because they are so over grown and other times they go for a long ways into places that probably haven't seen a motor vehicle in a long time. Not a good place to crash or breakdown by yourself. I worry about it, but I still do it. One of these days, it'll probably bite me.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I think anything that has been mentioned will give you or your wife peace of mind.

I still use an earlier version of SPOT (2nd Generation I think) and it does great for me.

As mentioned, I can use the constant 10 minute tracking function but typically I just send out a message using the "I'm ok" feature.

It also has the "I'm not dead or hurt but need help feature" and as you can see I don't know what it's called and then there's the "No Shit there is a major malfunction" 911 SOS feature. I've not had to use these and don't want too.

Short and sweet answer.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I've carried a PLB every time I go solo into my backcountry for 15 years, which is ten times as remote as Illinois and ten times as dangerous. I have never had to use it. If I ever did have to use it, I would expect it to work MUCH better than a Spot or InReach. However, I have no interest in telling anyone where I am hour by hour. It is only for life threatening emergencies.....and I expect to pay a very large fee for a helicopter rescue.:eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've worked in SAR both as a civilian and as an active duty SERE instructor. I've seen many stories end tragically that didn't have to. Devices like a Spot prevent this. I keep mine, along with a basic survival and first aid kit with me anytime that I hunt, fish, hike, kayak, etc whether I am alone or not. Money well spent.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Somebody must sell helicopter rescue insurance........

I think my pops-in-law buys Helo insurance directly from "LifeFlight". He has a sticker in the window of his truck.

Anyway, here is a screen shot of my "Check-in's" on yesterday's ride. These are the one's where I push the "OK" button and not the 10-minute auto tracking waypoint.

I also included the pop-up of one of the messages as it would appear to the receiver via txt and/or email. These "OK" messages go to my wife by the way! :p

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Krissy Pooh?? :laughing7:

I think my pops-in-law buys Helo insurance directly from "LifeFlight". He has a sticker in the window of his truck.

Anyway, here is a screen shot of by "Check-in's" on yesterday's ride. These are the one's where I push the "OK" button and not t10-minuteute auto tracking waypoint.

I also included the pop-up of one of the messages as it would appear to the receiver via txt and/or email. These "OK" messages go to my wife by the way! :p

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
...and I expect to pay a very large fee for a helicopter rescue”
This brings up the issue of rescue and emergency medical insurance costs since we all don’t live in Canada.
I have the GEOS SAR insurance through Spot. $100,000 coverage for $17.95 per year is a great deal, and it covers both Lynn and I. We also carry the GEOS medical extraction insurance... covers medical transport to a hospital near home whenever we are more than 99 miles away. Worldwide coverage. It will also pay to repatriate my remains.:(

https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=104

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I have the GEOS SAR insurance through Spot. $100,000 coverage for $17.95 per year is a great deal, and it covers both Lynn and I. We also carry the GEOS medical extraction insurance... covers medical transport to a hospital near home whenever we are more than 99 miles away. Worldwide coverage. It will also pay to repatriate my remains.:(

https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=104

I don't know how all this compares price wise but under $20 for SAR insurance a year. That's got to be competitive at the very least. I'm going to have to look into some of the other stuff on the spot site. I'd guess there are comparable insurances with the other providers (Inreach, PLB's etc).

Really good info Rhodetrip, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
"The GEOS Member Benefit has you covered around the globe; with the exception of these six places: Afghanistan, Chechnya, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Somalia, and Israel (West Bank, Gaza, and Occupied Territories” - And I had been so looking forward to that Somalian Vacation

Actually the rescue insurance seems good value. I picked up a SPOT, time to activate it despite expense . I believe basic service comes with the tracking feature now so M’lady can at least check on my location for her piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dont they have a tracking app for phones to so you can see where your kids or loved ones are? They may work off of cell service but also may use gps. Your phone has a gps in it and it works when cell service doesnt. I use a app called locus and download sections of maps in my phone so when i ride i dont need service. Gps always works and the maps are downloaded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts