TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

riding with bike armor and pads

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  ronnydog 
#1 ·
just wondering how much riding armor and pads you wear when riding, if at all. What kind, and how much. Jacket, shins, ect. Riders pants or heavy clothing .

#4 ·
Minimum: Mesh pants and jacket with CE armor including upgraded back armor, hard soccer shin guards on shins and forearms, armored gloves, 9-inch work boots with lugged traction soles that have ANSI toe and sole protection since feet are too wide for real motorcycle boots, reinforced brush guards over the levers, either full face street helmet with face shield or goggles or MX style helmet with goggles, drug and alcohol free rested mind. I am allergic to roadrash.

#5 ·
For off road only , a rider "could" get-away with MX gear I believe. For on road I wear all Motoport gear gloves included (some folk say this brand is a bit expensive , but it is no more expensive than good leathers.....and alot less expensive than a skin graft ). Motoport gear has two material selections : 1. Denier nylon & 2. Kevlar (I went with the kevlar). Kevlar is durable and light . You also choose between a mesh fabric or a stretch fabric for both the pants and jacket .

#6 ·
Being that TW's are dual sport I figured I was free to choose from any type of gear. My #1 objective was to make it so easy to get on and off that I would always wear it.

Olympia Stealth mesh suit with full armor in the older Silver color (not black!). Am quite happy with the suit after some modification, will be adding more mesh to a few areas. I ultimately decided that all the mesh suit needs for cold/rain conditions is a very light waterproof rain shell over it and layering underneath.

"Modular" full face helmet so I can flip it up and talk or get a drink. Heavy duty leather hiking boots. Selection of motorcycle gloves depending on what sort of riding it will mainly be and what the expected weather conditions are.

Will be continuing to dial it all in: ATV boots are on the list. The HJC helmet fogs up in rain, otherwise good.

#10 ·
I also wear mesh year around. My rides have started with sleet falling, seen triple digits in the afternoon, and riding on ice at the end of the day. The air under rain gear provides a lot of insulation value, especially with an additional insulated layer or two between the mesh and rain gear. Add a wicking layer against the skin and the air moving around through the mesh dissipates moisture, which prevents hot and cold spots, providing a very wide comfortable temperature range.

Get a pack of those little cork or rubber circles with sticky backs that go under lamps and such to prevent scratching furniture. Get the smallest you can find. Stick one on the bottom inside edge of your face shield so it doesn't quite close all the way. The tiny bit of ventilation reduces fogging 90% and isn't all that cold.

#7 ·
Boots, chest protector and helmet offroad. Jersey pants and gloves are worn as well but I wouldn't call them protection. Street riding I wear an alpinestars jacket, shoes and gloves and some jeans and a t shirt.

#8 ·
i have a Klim Lattitude jacket and pants and Alpinestars Scout boots I wear all the time for everything. If I get to start woods riding I will probably get some more mx style gear for hot weather comfort.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.