TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend, I joined 12 other guys for a 2-day ride through the sandy trails of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - between Marquette and Copper Harbor. I have a BMW 1200GS that I take on other rides with these guys. BUT - this was going to be tight trails and deep sand for two days. I knew that my TW200 was the better bike for the job. With lots of input from this forum, I "adventurized" my TW and headed up. The best advice I got was to upgrade my front tire to a Kenda K270. It was great in the sand.

At first, I was a bit intimidated by the NINE big GSs on the ride. But - after the first 1/4 mile run down a narrow sandy trail - FOUR of them bailed out. After dropping a 500+ lb. bike in the sand a few times - the fun starts to drain away.

The TW200 was fantastic. I went everywhere with little drama - not one fall. I had no problems keeping up with the bigger bikes. The speed limits in the paved roads is 55 mph - well within my capability. Off road, I had no problems. I was usually waiting for the bigger bikes after they fell and had to get back up. I would take the TW again in a second.

I did have one problem: while riding on a nasty rocky trail, I sucked a rock into my chain/sprocket and cracked a chain link. I was able to limp back to the hotel, but I was done for the weekend. We did have a chain breaking tool, but not enough links to replace the damage to my chain. Next time I'll have a chain kit...

Here are a few shots of the trip.

Registered
Thanks for sharing this trip with us. I have a R100GS and can echo your thoughts on which bike to bring to the trails. I have spent some time in the sand near Lake Superior with the TW and have never regretted choosing it over my GS.

Registered
Sweet! you certainly picked the right bike to ride on that trip. As long as your not going high speed the mighty Tdub can hang with the big boys and show them up in the nasty stuff. I've went on rides with Harley guys and we were taking twisties on coastal roads and no problem keeping up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Great story John, thanks!

Are my eyes deceiving me or are those some mongo storage tubes?

Brian
Those are "Mega Tubes" from the www.thetooltube.com site. They each fit a 1.5l Primus fuel bottle. They still have the fuel in them because I never needed them on this trip. Better safe than sorry.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet! you certainly picked the right bike to ride on that trip. As long as your not going high speed the mighty Tdub can hang with the big boys and show them up in the nasty stuff. I've went on rides with Harley guys and we were taking twisties on coastal roads and no problem keeping up.
I do think that next time I will change to a 47-tooth rear sprocket. First gear is really a crawler and I'd like a few more mph on the top end.

Registered
That's cool! Great pictures! So what did your riding buddies say about you leaving the GS home and taking the TW?

Registered
Those are "Mega Tubes" from the www.thetooltube.com site. They each fit a 1.5l Primus fuel bottle. They still have the fuel in them because I never needed them on this trip. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks John!

I had forgotten seeing those somewhere before (I think that the high price must have blocked them from my memory :D).

Brian

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
That's cool! Great pictures! So what did your riding buddies say about you leaving the GS home and taking the TW?
At first, I think they were very skeptical about me slowing them down. After the first deep sandy trail when 4 of the 9 GSs got into trouble and bailed out, that all changed. On the other hand, the remaining GS riders like the challenge of getting the big pigs through. I think they still saw the TW200 as the "easy way out". It was easy and fun - the nastier the trails got, the more the TW excelled. I still love my GS, but the TW is the right tool for the job on these trails.

In general, I guess that many guys buy more bike than they really need. It is cooler to show your pals your 500cc KTM rocket than the lowly TW. Yet, on these trails, we were lucky to average 35 mph on many stretches. In the deep sand, we were averaging 25 mph. You don't need a motocross bike for that!

Registered
Looks like great fun. For sure the TW is cut out for that job!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Is that a 5.10 -18 size tire. I want to order one just like that.
Kenda K270 Dual Purpose Rear Tire
Color- --, Size- 4.50-18
SKU#44004

$61.98 delivered from
Motorcycle-Superstore.com

Swapping out the front tire was the best piece of TW advice I got. The front was very stable in the sand and I never dropped the bike. I also had no problems on the highway up to the 67 mph top speed of my bike.

Registered
beautiful area. great terrain for the tdub.

the one time i was there i only had a rental car, though we managed to find a dirt road or two for some fun. i crashed the 4th of july parade in copper harbor and ended up riding in a fire truck with ms 4th throwing candy to the kids. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts