TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 TW 200
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there . I need some advice. suddenly ,my engine start switch button doensn't work .when I push the starter button sometimes works & sometime won't works .So I look through the internet and find a OEM part, they need $164 dollars including shipping cost to the sri lanka .that's too much .I could buy a ( 2001) newer model OEM stater switch a lot cheaper ( $50 dollars )than the older model one. actually older modle oem part discontinued & hard to find .I could easily swap a newer oem switch over older model what do you think ? will it works or won't works
Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle
Peripheral Audio equipment Gadget Cable Wire

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Many times you can just clean the contacts. Have you tried cleaning your contacts first? You should be able to use a newer switch. A newer switch could possibly require moving the wires in the connector but that is easy to do.

·
Registered
1987 TW 200
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many times you can just clean the contacts. Have you tried cleaning your contacts first? You should be able to use a newer switch. A newer switch could possibly require moving the wires in the connector but that is easy to do.
yeap , I cleaned the contacts with parts cleaner.and switch works without any problem but I wanna replace it with brand new part

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
84 Posts
The plug may not match up, but if you have three wires coming off the old switch then it's just a game of figuring out which wire matches the other as most likely the wire colors will be different. If you can find them, I would use Posi-Lock connectors, excellent wire to wire connectors that can be undone in seconds, and re-used:
Posi-Lock - The Connector of Choice for OEM & Military Use

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
84 Posts
I would assume Black is ground(confirm with a muti-meter). If so, my guess would be to combine BL/W with B? Test prob all 3 wires before hooking anything up.

Maybe someone here with more electrical background will chime in....better than my WAG(wild ass guess).
On second thought, maybe it's the R/W and B......hard to call with out it in front of you and using a meter.

·
Registered
22,381 Posts
When mine failed on eve of an out-of-state trip I replaced starter switch with an old house door-bell switch sitting in a drawer. Aaah, the miracle of Zip Ties, much less messy than duct tape.:)
Once home I installed a generic combo switch I had ordered for around $10. Correct wiring was easily determined with multi-meter and a little logic. TWs are a little different in the kill switch with reversed polarity from most other bikes, a question of an open vs a closed circuit being required for engine operation.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
When mine failed on eve of an out-of-state trip I replaced starter switch with an old house door-bell switch sitting in a drawer. Aaah, the miracle of Zip Ties, much less messy than duct tape.:)
Once home I installed a generic combo switch I had ordered for around $10. Correct wiring was easily determined with multi-meter and a little logic. TWs are a little different in the kill switch with reversed polarity from most other bikes, a question of an open vs a closed circuit being required for engine operation.
I used an intermittent switch that had a round button on it. I had to rig up the mounting inside but it looked like the factory switch when I was done. That wasn't on the TW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts