TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share this as an example of what can happen.

3 Weeks and 400 km of mindful break in driving and nothing more then half throttle. I did an oil/filter change which was good for an hour or so of putting around.........So we start out on a long journey (of course) and a 1/4 way out I start hearing and feeling an intermittent awful screech. I pull over and have look thinking it's the front brake. Looked fine so I started it up and it was good for the first few seconds. Then it went really bad at which point it was obviously the piston rings. I put it in neutral and got a tow from an ATV (scarey). We got it home and checked over the oil situation and all looked good. It seems like an unlucky and unavoidable situation.

The dealer is picking it up and it should be covered under warranty but talk about bad luck being midsummer and we were planning a camping trip within the next few weeks......

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I recently performed an oil change on my 2015 and all is well.

Couple curious questions. Did you replace the oil filter or clean it? Did you "bleed" the oil from the oil check screw? Some folks swear bleeding the oil isn't necessary, though I always do.

When checked, can you tell us what the dealer said was causing the screeching?

Thanks, and hope they can fix or replace as necessary.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took off the big drain bolt and the top refill cap. Rocked and tipped all that I could to get it all out. Replaced the filter with a new one the dealer supplied. I even checked/ cleaned the screen from the drain hole. On the first oil change there were some grindings but what I suspect as a reasonable amount for break in. After screeching I changed the oil again to check the filters and no additional grindings were visible. I did exactly what the manual says...must be a coincidence that this happened after an oil change.

I'll keep ya up to date. The dealer made a big deal about getting me back on the road asap so I'm guessing it's somewhat a priority due to how new it is.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure. The dealer sold me the filter. When I checked it after the screeching it was ginding free with plenty of oil in it.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I bet they gave you the wrong filter. One with only 2 holes rather than the 4 needed. So, it's burning up the top end of the engine.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
Using the "bleed screw" above the oil filter confirms that there is oil flow through the filter to the valve train. Littletommy might be right. The dealer's big deal about getting you back on the road a.s.a.p. might be due to concern that their service tech may have installed wrong filter. Like a doctor they might prefer to quickly bury their mistakes.:p

·
Registered
925 Posts
1) Dealers have sold the improper oil filter in the past. It must be in stock for some other bike.

2) Always check for oil flow with the "check bolt". It makes a mess but saves top ends.

3) Sometimes this happens during break-in for almost no discernible reason. The reason it happened to me was that the shop that rebuilt the top end on my 1995 TW were idiots (no longer in business). I rebuilt it myself the next time and found ALL their errors.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Using the "bleed screw" above the oil filter confirms that there is oil flow through the filter to the valve train. Littletommy might be right. The dealer's big deal about getting you back on the road a.s.a.p. might be due to concern that their service tech may have installed wrong filter. Like a doctor they might prefer to quickly bury their mistakes.:p
Yep. That's it!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
A screeching top end just screams "I've got no oil up here!!!" I think they messed up...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great advice...should be in the manual. I followed the manual and no mention of a "check bolt". While it is possible they gave me the wrong filter it fit well and had more area to circulate oil then the stock one IIRC.

SO... if I did this following bad instructions (manual) or with the wrong filter does this make it my fault and no warranty coverage? If they don't make this right I won't be back and I'll spread the word. Not good for business.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
The screeching could be another cause other than engine oil, but if it was oil related and there was enough oil in the engine, an incorrect oil filter would be a strong suspect.

Checking oil flow from the (called many things), oil gallery bolt, oil bleed screw, oil check screw etc., all are meaning the same thing. Anyway, the main service manual has this step as the last step when completing an oil change. See below.

Problem I'm discovering, not everyone has or needs the service manual. We all should have an owners manual. In the owners manual I have of a PDF copy of on the computer, it makes no mention of checking the oil flow as is described in the service manual.

With the absence of this information in the owners manual, how would anyone know the oil flow could or should be checked? If only using the owners manual, I could see they (Yamaha) are indicating the oil flow does not need to be checked when changing oil. However, the service manual does list this step. Does it or does it not need to be checked after an oil change (oil flow).

Do all owners manual's omit the oil flow check?

However, I think this oil flow check is just to verify actual oil flow, and is not the cause of oil starvation. Something else is causing that, right?

Now I'm going to check my real copies of the owners manuals (2005 & 2015) I have at home and see if the absence of the oil flow check procedure.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Wow....come to think of it it appears they gave me the wrong filter. The spark plug was light grey. They better own up to it and fix it for free.
The 4 holes are a must have!! Or there will be a problem. If you got it from the dealer, they should take care of it, unless they are insistent on doing the first maintenance themselves.

;) *You could send someone in to the dealer and have them buy a filter for you and bring it back for you to look at, it might tell all, unless they have already realized their mistake and yanked all the bad ones off the shelf....

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Has Yamaha changed their oil filters a little?

2 weeks ago I changed the oil and cleaned the oil filter on my 2015. The oil filter looked considerably different than the ones we've see in the past. I didn't take a photo of it, thinking the filter has changed as this was brand new and the oil hadn't been changed until I did it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought the stock one looked funny like a blank as it had no folds or ribbing...smooth papery material.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I thought the stock one looked funny like a blank as it had no folds or ribbing...smooth papery material.
I like the brass mesh ones. I would have no use for a paper filter, I want to be able to see what's in it and be able to clean it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts