TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the ol Jim and i made it from Mooresville IN to Charleston WV trouble free today on our voyage. If the weather holds out we should be going by the new river gorge bridge tomorrow and maybe a bit of the blue ridge pkwy.
It was a bit nippy "33" this morning. Im glad he let me borrow a heated vest and thank you tusk for the cheap mittens. More pics to come hopefully

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well for you, and looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your voyage! Where's the popcorn eating emoticon?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we made it to the new river gorge bridge today! It started raining about the time we got there. I had to lay down to even get part of the bike in the pic and most of the other pics were to dark. We then took 39 all the way to Lexington VA. An awesome road it was and im sure its beautiful when its not foggy and raining all day. lexington is a neat town with nice rolling hills and really cool old houses in town and a nice military university.
Hopefully some pics of town tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You have to love my tank bag! Its a kids backpack that i decided to try and strap it on at 1:30am the morning we left. Its actually fits really well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
We are down here in townsend tn give us a holler .Maybe we can meet up.So far we seen 10 bears 1 wolf more rack bucks than we can count 1 wild boar hog.Went over the mountain yesterday an seen some elk an some of the bulls were bulging.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Touring in a metro.. Its alot like touring
on a tw. I seen this car by the new river gorge and its loaded to the gills and its from Montana.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We took state road 39 to Lexington were we stayed over night then back up 39 to 252 then 606 to 56 up to the blue ridge pkwy. All of these roads were beautiful and twisty. To bad it was raining/foggy/cold most of this part of the trip. Here are a few pics on the blue ridge.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It pretty much rained all day Sunday and Monday so we dropped off of the Parkway and stayed in lower ground so we could see. We stayed in jefferson nc the next night and from there i dont remember the next few road but we ended up taking 151 "pisgah highway" back up to the parkway and what a killer curvy road it was. Its about like the gap but going uphill to the parkway. We stayed on the parkway almost to cherokee and hit the Heintooga ridge road which runs into Balsam mountain road which is 28 miles of tight twisty gravel road. Part of it is one wayso you have to go the way we did. We had more fun flying down this gravel road than anything. If

You get down by Cherokee its a must do loop.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Towards the beginning of the Heintooga ridge rd this bull elk walked right up to me. How close is he? I took this pic with my phone if that helps.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pic on the Balsam mountain rd.

We did a loop east of Cherokee off of 19 on Jenkins creek rd and that was a nice gravel loop back towards Cherokee. I would recommend this one also. There was a bunch of atv paths off of this route that im dying to go back and check out with some fellow t-dubbers. There's a bunh of gravel/offroad roads around the cherokee/maggie valley area that are worth checking out and i cant wait to go back. We then hit 28 towards fontana dam. As soon as it goes into two lanes we got behind a slow moving car and i seen a hi-viz helmet coming up so i waved him by. I thought it was a kid on a rocket but Well it was a tall feller on a aprillia 250'scooter . So when he passed and went around i thought this could be fun so me and jim pass the car and start flying low behind this guy. I was laughing like a little kid. We were pushing these slow machines hard. On the uphills the i was reaming the tw to death and the scooter was wide open and we were accelerating at about the same pace. We road like that for probably 15-20 minutes on 28 which is an awesome twisty road thay goes all the way the deals gap and the little store. We were both laughing when we got off the bikes. He was almost dragging the sides of the scooter and i was a dragging my boots through the turns. The shinko definitely sticks to the pavement darn good. Then we went down the dragon and shot straight home. Once we hit knoxville TN we jumped on the interstate all the way to Indianapolis. The tw was only getting 49-50mpg on the interstate
We put in a little over 500 miles yesterday and somewhere north of 1600 miles on the trip "i havent calculated it yet."

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Outstanding photo's. The photo above the clouds is really neat, not to mention the Elk. In a few weeks, I hope to be that close to an Elk!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Here is a pic on the Balsam mountain rd.

We did a loop east of Cherokee off of 19 on Jenkins creek rd and that was a nice gravel loop back towards Cherokee. I would recommend this one also. There was a bunch of atv paths off of this route that im dying to go back and check out with some fellow t-dubbers. There's a bunh of gravel/offroad roads around the cherokee/maggie valley area that are worth checking out and i cant wait to go back. We then hit 28 towards fontana dam. As soon as it goes into two lanes we got behind a slow moving car and i seen a hi-viz helmet coming up so i waved him by. I thought it was a kid on a rocket but Well it was a tall feller on a aprillia 250'scooter . So when he passed and went around i thought this could be fun so me and jim pass the car and start flying low behind this guy. I was laughing like a little kid. We were pushing these slow machines hard. On the uphills the i was reaming the tw to death and the scooter was wide open and we were accelerating at about the same pace. We road like that for probably 15-20 minutes on 28 which is an awesome twisty road thay goes all the way the deals gap and the little store. We were both laughing when we got off the bikes. He was almost dragging the sides of the scooter and i was a dragging my boots through the turns. The shinko definitely sticks to the pavement darn good. Then we went down the dragon and shot straight home. Once we hit knoxville TN we jumped on the interstate all the way to Indianapolis. The tw was only getting 49-50mpg on the interstate
We put in a little over 500 miles yesterday and somewhere north of 1600 miles on the trip "i havent calculated it yet."
Great area to ride.. My wife and I were there 4 weeks ago... The tail was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fun.. We liked moonshiner 28 better... Then we ran back roads to the trail of tears... It was so narrow I can't believe it's possible for two cars to pass.... OMM.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Family and I are headed up there Sunday. Staying a week in "our" "Family Friends" cabin.. Wish I could take the TDub with me!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Great ride report! Love the pictures, especially looking down on the clouds. Awesome shot of the bull, but kind of scary. Those guys tend to get a little ornery this time of year and can do some serious damage with those antlers. Thanks for sharing your very cool adventure with us.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bama sorry we didnt get to cross paths. There were three bull elks on the road and they friendly bumped heads a few times but you could tell they werent in rut yet. In 3/4 weeks i wouldnt want to be within a hundred yards of those fellers. If they act anthing like whitetails during the rut it would be very interesting to watch them go at it. Speeking of that where is ol mossy horns at? Im sitting in a tree waiting on him right now.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Great pics. that is very close to that elk.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hate we did not get to meet up an ride but at lest we got to talk on the phone.But we had a great time I did get to meet an ride with FtPayne an ride around little river canyon with him he is a great guy. Hope to go back up in may if they have another tw meet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts