TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, fairly new to the site. Have had my TW for a little over a year. I have been taking it on moderately long road trips...I'd say 100-200 miles for solo camping adventures, but would eventually like to go a little farther. Over the course of a few days riding. I enjoy the challenge and stamina required with the smaller engine. My bike seems to do fine at 60-65mph. However, I have read a lot of discussions on this site with a lot of opinions about possible long term damage to the engine running at those speeds for sustained periods of time. I'd just like to get another discussion going regarding people's opinions on the matter. Is it well within the capability of the little engine, or am I asking for trouble? Thanks! Hope everyone has a fun and safe riding season this year. -Nick

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had to do a top end rebuild at about 8k because a previous owner turned it into a cafe racer and it couldn't take the abuse of high rpms.

Having said that someone else on this forum once noted they run at high rpms a lot and have put on many more miles without harm by changing the oil very frequently. If I remember correctly it was every 400-800 miles.

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you do some searches on this site, you'll find that there are a few folks who have rode their TWs long distances: Utah to Alaska and back, across the USA, the west coast from Neah Bay to San Diego. If you realize that this is a bike that will cruise at 55 and not 75, and keep an eye on the oil, the TW is up for long distances. I think the real limiting factor is not the bike but the rider.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This brings up an interesting question that I wonder if anyone knows the answer to. Let's assume with the stock gearing, the Max Cruise Speed (MCS) is 55. I saw a video of a guy hitting 70 on his stock TW. Are higher speeds for short distances ok? If we want to raise the MCS should we calculate the RPM at 55 with stock gearing and do the math to keep that RPM at our desired MCS or is there an RPM we should look to not exceed? Anyone have a tach on their TW that knows where red line should start or how many RPMS we can safely turn?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you running stock gearing?
Either way just ride it however you would like and properly maintain it. If the engine wears out early then you are ready for the 225 upgrade swap or a big bore.
Don't worry, he happy.
Good point man. Thx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This brings up an interesting question that I wonder if anyone knows the answer to. Let's assume with the stock gearing, the Max Cruise Speed (MCS) is 55. I saw a video of a guy hitting 70 on his stock TW. Are higher speeds for short distances ok? If we want to raise the MCS should we calculate the RPM at 55 with stock gearing and do the math to keep that RPM at our desired MCS or is there an RPM we should look to not exceed? Anyone have a tach on their TW that knows where red line should start or how many RPMS we can safely turn?
Great questions!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maybe read Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon and find some slower roads for your road trips.

I often use Google Maps, uncheck the highway box and often use bicycle routes when I'm dreaming/semi-planning post-COVID road trips.

I've driven across the US and Canada a few times (in cars). The most memorable trips were the ones off the interstate, and using an old RandMcNally book style map, with only a vague direction and itinerary.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I run mine at 55-60 for long periods of time almost every time i ride it because theres nowhere close to home thats worth being at around here. Mines never had an issue with it and ill occasionally top it out when theres a long straight away. Thats probably not good for it but im pretty confident in its durability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run mine at 55-60 for long periods of time almost every time i ride it because theres nowhere close to home thats worth being at around here. Mines never had an issue with it and ill occasionally top it out when theres a long straight away. Thats probably not good for it but im pretty confident in its durability.
Nice. That's reassuring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts