TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , sorry to burden everyone again on tyres, I have trawled the forum on tyres and tbh am still no further forward /convinced on which brand I should go for .
My riding now is pretty much 90% road 10% off I can get a pair of kenda tt k761 tyres at a good price off eBay , or I can go Dunlop k180 tyres standard fit on Suzuki van van. That is pretty much the choices in uk now , there is the Bridgestone Ax41s dual sport but its a tubeless type tyre, as far as I am aware you can put a tube in a tubeless tyre as long as rims are of a certain code type , and also the inside of tyre is not ribbed in construction as it can wear tube out .
The other alternative is to pay twice as much money and have tyres shipped from USA
Any thoughts on above choices? Sorry post is nothing really exciting
A rather disgruntled tdub rider at present ( you are so lucky in USA as bike is still sold there so loads of tyre choices )

·
Super Moderator
6,110 Posts
Bridgestone 203/204 are good for 90/10 - or you can go TW34 rear (import), and save some money with a Hiedenau K60 on the front (the K60, not the K60 Scout)

From what I've "heard", the K761 is too hard for the TW's weight, but the K180's seem to be OK .....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bridgestone 203/204 are good for 90/10 - or you can go TW34 rear (import), and save some money with a Hiedenau K60 on the front (the K60, not the K60 Scout)

From what I've "heard", the K761 is too hard for the TW's weight, but the K180's seem to be OK .....
What about the Shinko 428 tyres , tbh the company’s I have contacted say anything between 2- wks to 2- months for delivery of tyres at present

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the Shinko 428 tyres , tbh the company’s I have contacted say anything between 2- wks to 2- months for delivery of tyres at present
One guy I’ve been talking to say the prices of tyres for this bike now are more expensive than big sports bikes due to the model being rare in uk and other parts of the world ( not USA)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One guy I’ve been talking to say the prices of tyres for this bike now are more expensive than big sports bikes due to the model being rare in uk and other parts of the world ( not USA)
I have had a reply back from Bridgestone and the AX41s tyre is approved for Fitment of tubes and there would be no issues with rim fitment or tube wear , now has anyone tried these tyres

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
344 Posts
Ok , sorry to burden everyone again on tyres, I have trawled the forum on tyres and tbh am still no further forward /convinced on which brand I should go for .
My riding now is pretty much 90% road 10% off I can get a pair of kenda tt k761 tyres at a good price off eBay , or I can go Dunlop k180 tyres standard fit on Suzuki van van. That is pretty much the choices in uk now , there is the Bridgestone Ax41s dual sport but its a tubeless type tyre, as far as I am aware you can put a tube in a tubeless tyre as long as rims are of a certain code type , and also the inside of tyre is not ribbed in construction as it can wear tube out .
The other alternative is to pay twice as much money and have tyres shipped from USA
Any thoughts on above choices? Sorry post is nothing really exciting
A rather disgruntled tdub rider at present ( you are so lucky in USA as bike is still sold there so loads of tyre choices )
USA rider here. I’m 90/10 & chose the Bridgestone 204 rear, based on exhaustive research. Would have considered the Shinko equivalent, but found a good deal.

-Not that this helps you, given your issue is mainly with availability & shipping costs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
USA rider here. I’m 90/10 & chose the Bridgestone 204 rear, based on exhaustive research. Would have considered the Shinko equivalent, but found a good deal.

-Not that this helps you, given your issue is mainly with availability & shipping costs.
Yeah , can’t even get the Bridgestone 204 from sites I’ve been on 😟, honestly , so far a tyre dealer says he can get shinko 428 series front and rear but they will come from Holland :oops::oops: and take at least a month to get here ? Good job I’m not desperate for tyres
I have looked at forum regarding inner tubes 😱 man I did not realise there were so many variations and stem types !!!!, I think I will just order up the original spec from dealers , it’s all starting to get silly now , if this bike or the smaller version was still sold in uk , then I’m sure I would not have all this hassle

·
Registered
633 Posts
For two May's in a row now I have planned on flying in to Dublin to go to the Isle of Man TT. I have Platinum status on the airline I fly with a 4 bag check on limit. I usually travel the world with a carry on. I would gladly bring two (or maybe four) TW tires with me.

Maybe next May...

In the meantime:

Motorcycle Tyres Online » FREE DELIVERY » Oponeo.co.uk (had 204s in stock)

Of course these tires are usually drop shipped from somewhere. But at least it shows they are "in-stock".

Mytyres.co.uk seems to have the most selection, and claim to be the biggest in Europe, but doesn't have the Shinko's in stock. Sorry.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For two May's in a row now I have planned on flying in to Dublin to go to the Isle of Man TT. I have Platinum status on the airline I fly with a 4 bag check on limit. I usually travel the world with a carry on. I would gladly bring two (or maybe four) TW tires with me.

Maybe next May...

In the meantime:

Of course these tires are usually drop shipped from somewhere. But at least it shows they are "in-stock".

Mytyres.co.uk seems to have the most selection, and claim to be the biggest in Europe, but doesn't have the Shinko's in stock. Sorry.
Thanks for the link I will take a look

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Maybe next May...

In the meantime:

I hope you get to the i.o.m for the tt next year you will be amazed at how fast 200 + mph are on normally 30 mph roads , I love the place , sadly I have not been since 1998 but had been every year for 9 yrs prior , I will get back there again one day ( hopefully)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope you get to the i.o.m for the tt next year you will be amazed at how fast 200 + mph are on normally 30 mph roads , I love the place , sadly I have not been since 1998 but had been every year for 9 yrs prior , I will get back there again one day ( hopefully)
Thank you for the very kind offer of couriering over tyres if/ when you come over to uk (y)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Do you think I should order up the shinko’s purple and give them a go ? No one chimed in about them ?, tbh I do get that bike over in the corners hard , not sure how hard the compound is on them , the read ups on the bridgestone ax41’s are that they don’t come with much tread on and they have a sticky softer sidewall and harder centre section and don’t last very long ( on larger bikes ) or go for the Dunlop’s ?

·
Super Moderator
6,110 Posts
That’s a real hard “ask”, as I have no experience of the Shinko’s, from memory, the rubber is a bit softer than the Bridgestone 203/204 but that’s about it – can we even get Shinko over here ?

The K180 is a bit easier to answer, but not by myself – put a shout out to the VanVan owners on here, despite the bike being pants they should be able to vouch for the tires

Seems like only yesterday when you could get the 203/4 – sheesh, 5 years ago I was throwing them out

Don’t be afraid of the Shinko, it’s good munchies if you can get them ……….

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s a real hard “ask”, as I have no experience of the Shinko’s, from memory, the rubber is a bit softer than the Bridgestone 203/204 but that’s about it – can we even get Shinko over here ?

The K180 is a bit easier to answer, but not by myself – put a shout out to the VanVan owners on here, despite the bike being pants they should be able to vouch for the tires

Seems like only yesterday when you could get the 203/4 – sheesh, 5 years ago I was throwing them out

Don’t be afraid of the Shinko, it’s good munchies if you can get them ……….
Thanks purple I can get shinko from a local tyre guy who knows someone in Holland , but will take up to 2- mths to get ( they are all ex moto x racers )

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I've been using the Bridgestone 203 and 204 and never had an issue with them. I have had really good luck with Shinko on my other bikes so I ordered a set for my TW. I have been running the back tire for quite a while now and I can't tell the difference between them. I am still waiting for the Bridgestone front to wear a little more before putting on the shinko on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts