TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my buddy Troll....one of the late Robin Williams, who sadly offed himself today from depression, drugs, alcohol, related issues....this is one of my favorite Stand Up Routines of his, about Canada: Caution for you with sensitive ears...F~Bombs throughout.

:p

Reactions: Adam-n-nevada

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This end of the trail isn't always easy or comforting. There is no romance in leaving a desiccated, wrinkled up old corpse

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
I have been an avid Robin Williams fan since Mork and Mindy days. So sad to learn once again that another gifted comedian has had a long struggle with depression. As a simple kid I always thought comedians must be really happy fun people. Often not so. May have to go rent a classic like "Patch Adams" or something to relive the magic of his brilliant improvisational style.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I had recently read that he was close to bankrupt from two nasty divorces. Hard to imagine how a person who has made so many films and comedy appearances could possibly be broke, he never had a brake in his career where he was not working on something. Also pretty hard to fathom how a person with such talent can fall so deeply into depression.

R. I. P. Robin but I wish you could have stayed and fought rather than cut and run.

GaryL

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is sad. The thing is that there is a lot of sadness through out the world. For example right now there are mothers and fathers watching their children being decapitated somewhere in Iraq. Even here on this site we have individuals grieving for loved ones who through no fault of their own, are gone. Sad. ...But with Williams, what a waste. So much talent, so much wealth, and nothing to show for it, but depression, divorce and suicide. Understand this is NOT meant to be critical, yes, it sounds critical, and yes I understand depression is a serious condition. No stock or easy answers here. I guess I don't understand these things. But what I do know is that without some purpose, outside of the trappings of this life, what's the point. Money, Sex, Fame, Power, yeah, they are all fun for a time, (especially the sex) but it just doesn't seem to cut it in the long run. (I wouldn't mind giving the money and power thing a test run though.)

Sad.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'd like to think that money would buy me a great deal more happiness than I now have but would not change much in my life. Sure, the wife could retire and we could do some traveling we want to do but as far as sex, drugs, gambling and a lot of the other sins, never gonna happen. We enjoy cocktails on a very limited basis and that would not change.

GaryL

·
Registered
458 Posts
None of us here can fathom the immense pressure that this great man had within. I don't even want to. I think all suicides are indeed a waste, but it's hard to specify that to one individual. In the end, we all walk in our own shoes and it's up to us to either keep walking or to stop - no one else can make that decision. Nor can anyone on the outside justify the decision. He left behind a massive amount of greatness for millions to enjoy and to continue to enjoy. I'm mostly sad for his children; as with most suicides it's the family that endures the brunt of the pain.
R.I.P. Mr. Williams.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think the Buddha would say that life here is suffering (Samsara). I think that it is this perception of suffering that drives Homo Sapiens to look for a higher order of being and why religion offers solace with an afterlife based on merit.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Since when is sex a sin or even alcohol? Dude, you said "wife", so have at it! Give me hope you older retired guys...

(I'm not going to get banned for this, I hope.)
My wife was 22 years younger than me, hot enough the college boys all flirted with her, and I've never even seen a little blue pill. There is hope.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Since when is sex a sin or even alcohol? Dude, you said "wife", so have at it! Give me hope you older retired guys...

(I'm not going to get banned for this, I hope.)
Sex becomes a sin when the guy with deep pockets spends money on it. All is well right here in that field and I would not spend a dime on it outside my happy home. That's not to say it isn't expensive even for us old retired guys who keep it home.

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
TS Garp's mother from the movie The World According To Garp said all women were prostitutes, and she wasn't kidding. You'll pay, brothers, one way or another.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts