TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any west coast folks tried Zume Pizza yet? Billed as the Amazon of pizza, imagine robotic pizza manufacturing where a 50 oven delivery vehicle makes and bakes your pizza you order on-line while delivery van drives hot and delicious cyber-pizza to you. Eventually in order to eliminate as many american jobs as possible van will be autonomous too, no driver. Isn't progress great? Personally I think we need a job explosion to accompany our population explosion.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Its interesting. I was reading an interview recently with the CEO of General Electric on the return of manufacturing to the US. He said, "because of automation, there's now only 2 hours of labor in a refrigerator. I can build them anywhere. It doesn't matter."

·
Registered
206 Posts
Its interesting. I was reading an interview recently with the CEO of General Electric on the return of manufacturing to the US. He said, "because of automation, there's now only 2 hours of labor in a refrigerator. I can build them anywhere. It doesn't matter."
But once you've made the investment in that automated plant, that's where you'll stay. Until that 2 hours of labor costs too much. Or sales drop. Or a foreign government takes over your plant. Or... And if shareholder profit is the only driving force... Well, there you have it. The US economy in a nutshell.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
His point was that the US is now competitive, that's why they are building a new plant here. Shipping costs now outweigh the labor cost.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Personally I think we need a job explosion to accompany our population explosion.
THIS is why I "Liked" Fred's post! Where are the jobs in the USA? Looks like most are in the service industries. Service jobs require a population base that has a good manufacturing job industry to support it well. Otherwise the money that fuels the whole thing is depleted... The money that continues to drive jobs ends up coming from finite resources, such as the sale of property when a parent dies & the kids sell the property & spend the money... That money goes around, but much of it ends up going offshore for the purchase of foreign goods, or in the hands of government, or to someone else where it never returns to the flow of dollars that continue to keep employment strong & growing. This is just the way I see it, but what do I know, I'm just a codgy kimmie from the Boont region... :toothy5: m.

·
Registered
206 Posts
His point was that the US is now competitive, that's why they are building a new plant here. Shipping costs now outweigh the labor cost.
So automation which eliminates jobs to the point where you only need 2 hours of "skilled" labor is the way we create jobs? Or that is the way a US company is competitive in a global marketplace? We are rapidly coming to a "perfect storm crossroad" (sorry for the mixed metaphors). Automation and "AI" is screaming forward, while populations are exploding, while baby boomers (where a large part of middle class wealth and traditional buying power resides) are, or will soon be, dying off (or getting Alzheimers)? Meaning they stop buying stuff! Help Mr. Wizard! I wanna get off! (to mix a couple more gems from aging American culture).

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
So automation which eliminates jobs to the point where you only need 2 hours of "skilled" labor is the way we create jobs? Or that is the way a US company is competitive in a global marketplace? We are rapidly coming to a "perfect storm crossroad" (sorry for the mixed metaphors). Automation and "AI" is screaming forward, while populations are exploding, while baby boomers (where a large part of middle class wealth and traditional buying power resides) are, or will soon be, dying off (or getting Alzheimers)? Meaning they stop buying stuff! Help Mr. Wizard! I wanna get off! (to mix a couple more gems from aging American culture).
Automation does NOT eliminate jobs. What it does is reduce job's for low/no skill employees. Unfortunately, trade schools that would train young people in the skills needed to maintain that automation equipment are too often shunned in favor of college degrees in fields of study that do not lead to meaningful employment.

Tom

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point Tom. Anyone familiar with the the Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs TV show? He has a foundation that provides scholarships to trade schools as an alternative to 4 year college degrees that take graduates no where with their liberal arts or humanities degrees. After all only so many government jobs can be created with pensions and Obama-care exclusions for counselors to dissatisfied immigrants. We need real jobs with real productivity in the private sector.
About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good point Tom. Anyone familiar with the the Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs TV show? He has a foundation that provides scholarships to trade schools as an alternative to 4 year college degrees that take graduates no where with their liberal arts or humanities degrees. After all only so many government jobs can be created with pensions and Obama-care exclusions for counselors to dissatisfied immigrants. We need real jobs with real productivity in the private sector.
About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected
Does the Mike Rowe foundation train pizza delivery drivers? :p

Pizza shops are actually a very good model for economic principles, IMHO. Think about it. Great, now I'm hungry!

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of well paying shovel ready jobs for those willing to learn a trade and work. Not talking minimum wage no-future pizza delivery positions that cannot compete with welfare and other government hand-outs...real careers one can be proud of.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Robot pizza. Guess I'd try it once and see. It can't be any worse than college idiots who are too busy yapping on social media to make my order right.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The trouble is, Pride has been taken out of the little entitled pieces of crap. They expect hand outs.

And people ask me why I am reluctant to teach what I know.
Nobody wants to EARN anything anymore.
They all want to get out of school to get their CEO job right off the bat.

Lots of well paying shovel ready jobs for those willing to learn a trade and work. Not talking minimum wage no-future pizza delivery positions that cannot compete with welfare and other government hand-outs...real careers one can be proud of.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I raised 3 daughters. All of them are hard working, hard working as hell. They are never ungrateful and appreciate when they've been given a helping hand and have all worked jobs where the pay stinks. As for me, I often apologize to them that my generation (I'm 66 and retired) has left them a pretty f'ed up world. All have been or are in college or trade school. One went to cosmetology school before heading back to college where she is now, while at the same time working with developmentally disabled adults. All have college debt, despite help from me and the government (PELL grants, scholarships etc). One is living in Ecuador and has just opened a small bake shop and lunch grill. Why? Her rent for the place is under $200/month. Her apt is ~$150. This is a kid who graduated with a Bachelor's from a very good state university, achieved straight A's, was awarded a competitive internship at a downtown San Francisco retailer but simply could not afford to live there, without working 2 jobs or living in Oakland, commuting 3 hours a day. It ain't easy out there, living is WAY more expensive than it was when I struck out on my own. Everything is more expensive, banks "fee" you to death, cars, apartments and, yes, cell phones. Expensive with no end in sight. Economies collapsing throughout the world is common, everyday news, all of which impacts the good ol' USA in some way or another. We are a connected world, like it or not. And that is not going to change. Pull a trade string here or there, jobs get affected either directly or indirectly, such as when a sales force is reduced (RIF) because products aren't selling. Industries collapse too. Auto industry anyone? Coal mines? (Just ask me about Wyoming, where my retirement pension comes from). It's a mess. A connected mess. With a climate that is changing quicker than we can address it (no matter who or what caused it). Yes, I feel sorry for the current generation of 20-30 year olds. Some may be entitled little bastards. Mine aren't. But they've gotta find their way through the f'ed up future. I got no answers. But I'm sure glad my income producing years were in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s through mid 2014. And I lend them a hand whenever I can. My motto is do what you can for those you can help. And pray for the rest. And bless Mike Rowe. I wish he were the reality TV star running for the presidency. :headbang: :bootyshake:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts