TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the rocket arm and I’m way out of my depths. Haven’t been able to find any tw specific videos or images to help, and most of the pics in these threads don’t show up on my phone for some reason.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
It would probably be easier to remove the head first. I have never tried it while the head was on the engine. One of the rocker shafts is held in place by a head bolt, I think it was the intake but I am not sure. You will most likely need a slide hammer. The camshaft sprocket will have to come off first and then maybe even the camshaft. When you pull the rocker shaft out the rocker arm just doesn't fall out. You have to twist and play with it to get it removed. Yeah, take the head of first.

Whats wrong with the rocker arm?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would probably be easier to remove the head first. I have never tried it while the head was on the engine. One of the rocker shafts is held in place by a head bolt, I think it was the intake but I am not sure. You will most likely need a slide hammer. The camshaft sprocket will have to come off first and then maybe even the camshaft. When you pull the rocker shaft out the rocker arm just doesn't fall out. You have to twist and play with it to get it removed. Yeah, take the head of first.

Whats wrong with the rocker arm?
The Adjustment screw popped out and stripped the threads. I’ve dismantled everything I can, but was really hoping not to have to buy a slide hammer. They’re pretty expensive and I don’t think I’ll ever have to use it again- this is not a common problem.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My local Auto Zone will loan out tools. Put the deposit down and take home the tool. Bring it back and they cancel the deposit against your credit card.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
The Adjustment screw popped out and stripped the threads. I’ve dismantled everything I can, but was really hoping not to have to buy a slide hammer. They’re pretty expensive and I don’t think I’ll ever have to use it again- this is not a common problem.
Other people have had the adjustment screw pop out and they simply put the old one back in. Are you sure the threads are stripped? I would hate to see you go through all the work of replacing the rocker arm and not really needing to do it.

Harbor Freight has a small slide hammer that isn't to expensive. I don't use mine very often but when I do it is a real time saver!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I found a bolt that would thread in to end of the rocker arm, and a bushing (a deep socket might work) that was large enough for the rocker shaft to fit inside, and pulled it out that way. When the bolt bottoms out, you have to unscrew it, add some washers, and pull some more. You'll eventually get it out, but it requires patience. A slide hammer would be a time saver, for sure!

Putting it back in is a PITA also. If you're working on the intake side, be sure to mark where the groove lines up, before you remove it (you'll see what I mean, when you look at it). The back end of the shaft is notched to go around a head bolt, and if you don't get it indexed properly, the head bolt won't go in, and you'll have to pull the rocker shaft back out and try it again. Yes, I had to do that. :sneaky:

Have fun!

Reactions: elime

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My local Auto Zone will loan out tools. Put the deposit down and take home the tool. Bring it back and they cancel the deposit against your credit card.
I checked with them and another auto parts place. They don’t have the right size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the best way to remove the shaft is by putting the cylinder head in the oven and heating it. I de-greased mine and do 350 for a half hour. no joke. don't to this in the house!! have everything set up when you remove it from the oven and they come out nice. going back in is the same thing and you need a friend to help out. get a long 6mm bolt and 6 inches of square tube. drill a hole in the square tube bigger than the bolt. lay the square tube across the head and use the bolt to draw them out. WONT WORK ON A COLD HEAD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m going to try heating it, but I’ve heard a blow torch is just as effective, but I like your method for drawing it out. I was just going to use a heavy ratchet piece to slide-hammer it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts