TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the unfortunate injury of a fellow rider on a group ride this past weekend, the solution to getting all of the bikes out of the desert after 2-upping the injured rider back to civilization involved me riding the trail boss' KTM 300 out.

If you're curious, the trail boss piloted the injured rider's KLR 650 on the way out with the injured soul on pillion while I followed them up on my TW. We left the injured rider and my TW at a gas station and I got to know the trail boss a little better by riding pillion back in. If you've never ridden pillion over rough dirt, you're not missing any fun!

I thought for sure I was gonna get stuck on the 650 pig for the ride out, but instead I was treated to a few miles of desert riding on a machine the likes of which I'll probably never own.

Deep sand, ruts, bumps, who cares? On an unfamiliar bike I found myself cruising the trail at 10-15 mph faster than I was riding on the TW without even feeling like I was pushing it.

My first thought after parking the bike was "Oh!, that's why people like these things!"

I haven't put my TW up for sale or anything, but I definitely see the appeal. If I was interested in riding fast offroad I probably would have traded in my TW a long time ago, if anything seeing a more experienced rider than myself break a collarbone makes me happy that most of my trail getoffs have been at 20mph or less.

Still, for doing what they're made to do, those peppy little KTMs are really something!

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Very tempting addition or alternative to the TW. Thanks for the teaser about KTM 300 EXC. Sorry about your test ride circumstances though, hurt buddy is muy malo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cant say i dont love my klx250s..its no ktm300 but it is def much faster off road then the tw.i owned it first and actually bought the tw for my wife...its still hers but i love the thing!

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Hope the downed rider is ok. At least you all were there to help out.

Been hoping to ride couple of my son's bikes out on the trail one of these days. One has a KX250F Kawasaki which I've ridden in the driveway, and the other a KTM 450 xyzabc something or other. Problem is besides the weather, they always doing maintenance on them and I never get the chance! Guess that's another good reason to keep the TW eh! ...but I would like to know how this bikes ride compared to the TW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have three friends with KTM300's. They love'em and they have their place. I had a KTM250 at one time. KX250. Husky400 4T. Now have a KLX300 and WR426. Today I'll be riding the TW200. No fuss, no muss, no surprises. No tensed muscles. Just relaxing all the way. Maybe I'll take my helmet cam.

BTW, this is Trailscout. I liked the Trail Warrior thing so much I've decided to experiment with it as a new moniker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a KTM 200 xc-w and it's the most fun woods bike I have ever rode. Still has a decent low end but can handle like a 125 at just 209 lbs and you don't need to wring the hell out of them to make power. When setup right with the correct suspension/sag they float over bumps, whoops, sand, logs and are really user friendly, and are single track dynamos! I was even lucky enough to get mine plated here in Maine too by being a little creative at the town office... but I would much rather take the TW down the road and through town, which I'm sure my neighbors would also agree.:)
200xcw.jpg

Also DonBenito, If you haven't seen this video about the 300EXC it's worth a watch. I think I posted it here once before.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Are you sure it is not love ?
Admiral: Want to go for a ride next Monday
Son #2: I would, but I think there is something wrong with my clutch
Admiral: Wasn't they way on our last ride
Son #2: It might also need an oil change
Admiral: Boy, you have to change the oil on that alot
Son #2: Do you have any room in your shop for me to work on it....
Admiral: Huh!

Admiral: Want to go for a ride next Monday
Son #3: I would, but I think there is something wrong with the engine
Admiral: Wasn't they way on our last ride
Son #3: I think the top end needs to be re-built
Admiral: Boy, you have to work on that bike alot
Son #3: Do you have any room in your shop for me to work on it....
Admiral: Huh!

My thought is:

1. These bikes need a ton of attention (which your comment may be on to something)

or

2. They're hinting they want me to work on there bikes!

You be the judge - Love of bikes or lets take advantage of the old man

:eek:

P.S. I already am working on Son #1's and Son #3's street bikes.

P.S.S. In order to get a ride on one of there dirt bikes, I suppose I'd atleast have to help them work on it...right?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I think a really good mechanic is obligated to take the bikes he has worked on for "test" rides. And a mechanic who is truly devoted to doing an excellent job is more than willing to take long test rides multiple times before return the motorcycle to its owner. I think it is a law in some states that this happens.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny the maintenance issue came up, another KTM that started out with us on that ride suddenly developed a fast oil leak and had to turn back early in the ride.

I get the feeling that KTMs are great bikes for the first few hundred hours, then they become headaches. With the tight tolerances and hard riding that a lot of them get put through I don't think it's any surprise they start to have issues relatively quickly.

There's got to be a price somewhere for that kind of performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Went on a really knarley ride today. Buddy had a KTM250 with the same trials tire on the back that I have. He's an excellent rider. He had more problems in the really hard spots that the TW did. TW purred all day. Seafoam. Good stuff.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Coming at this from the other direction.. I've driven her TW, mostly after fixing/tuning it, and it's a hoot. In fact, everyone who's taken it for a spin has come back surprised/impressed/grinning.
Only problem is, I find myself getting carried away, going a bit quick, then I hit a bump. I'm sure that's not a big issue if you're used to it, but it's scared the heck out of me.
BTW, Trail Warrior/Scout, I too have a WR426. Just added it to the stable, have yet to ride it, but I sure am looking foreward to it!

·
Registered
385 Posts
One extra benefit of having a short inseam [by most other Dual Sport standards] is that I had one option for mine -- Ahh, love that T-Dub. I figure if these other companies wanted me to buy their bike, they'd make model with a seat that's not quite to the stratosphere.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One extra benefit of having a short inseam [by most other Dual Sport standards] is that I had one option for mine -- Ahh, love that T-Dub. I figure if these other companies wanted me to buy their bike, they'd make model with a seat that's not quite to the stratosphere.
Dubzha, I'm 5'8 with a 31"-32" inseam and surprisingly, I found the numerically sky-high 38" (ish) seat height of the KTM surprisingly manageable. The bike's owner was actually a little shorter than I am, and he had no problem. With all of that extra travel, the first few inches can be pretty soft. I actually had a harder time putting down the kickstand than saddling up!

Of course, I've had plenty of practice tip-toeing my KLR 650!

I'd hate to deal with that seat height and lean in traffic, but off-road it was no big deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts