TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it was time to exercise the Rokon. I had planned on a fairly extensive ride but this 1950 technology was not to let me. After about 2 miles There was a terrible chain and sprocket noise so I immediately stopped. I could see that the front chain from the miter gear at the steering head to the front swingarm was off track. I had a reasonably full tool kit so I got to work and took off the forward chain cover. The upper sprocket was off the shaft. The roll pins that secured it had worked out and one was broken. The only tool I lacked was a hammer but a car stopped and loaned me one. I was able to remount the sprocket and chain and tap one of the roll pins into place. At low speed, ( even slower than normal Rokon speed I nursed it home only to have the sprocket dismount as I got there. I removed the sprocket and punched out the remains of the roll pins. I took the sprocket in to the Ace hardware and bought 2 of the correct roll pins. Back home I remounted the sprocket and tapped in the two roll pins until they met in the middle as they were supposed to. I figured I should probably add some spare roll pins to my repair kit so off to the hardware I started. At about 1 mile, I heard the start of that dreadful noise again and stopped in the middle of town and dismounted my wheelchair and dug out my pin punch and hammer. ( I had brought a hammer from home) and put it back together again. I left off the chain cover so that I could watch it as I rode the last 4 blocks to the hardware. I could visibly the roll pins coming out after only 2 blocks. I stopped and tapped them back into place, and went on. 2 blocks later as I parked at the hardware, the roll pins were again out of pace and the sprocket off.
In the hardware I selected a grade 8 bolt and a unlock nut. Remounting the sprocket, I secured it this time with the bolt and nut. I rode home with the chain cover off and was happy to see that it had held together this time.
This machine has only a total of about 200 miles since new and was totally disabled by the sprocket falling off because when this happens it jambs up the front wheel so that it cannot rotate.
Tomorrow I will telephone the Rokon designer and discuss his ancestry, IQ, sexual habits and those of his mother and what ever she practices them with. Rokon is a ripoff. I have ongoing head shake problems and a speedometer that failed at 90 miles. Now this. I cannot understand how they have stayed in business for nearly 60 years with this kind of lack of quality. I guess they haven't run out of new buyers because I seriously doubt anyone would buy a second one.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Sorry to hear about about your problems with the Rokon.

I owned a 1969 Rokon for number of years before getting a TW. They are unique machines and well suited for what they were designed for, which was to go places that no other motorized vehicles could go and for dragging dead animals out of the woods. While the newer ones like yours are certainly much more civilized than mine was, they are still basically an obscenely overpriced large mini-bike with a lawnmower engine. I had to chuckle when you mentioned that yours had a speedometer. Mine topped out at about a fast walk.

The first time that I took mine out for a serious off-road ride, the rear drive chain came apart into three pieces (the bike was already 30 years old when I got it!). I just stuffed the broken chain pieces into a jacket pocket and rode the rest of the day using only the front wheel drive. Much like a TW, if you recognize what a Rokon was designed for and don't try to make it into something that it isn't, then it will perform reasonably well. If you expect it to be a reliable dual sport motorcycle, you will be sorely disappointed. I kept mine for about a dozen years, but never rode it much. It was agonizingly slow and just not that much fun to ride. I always encouraged potential buyers to ride one before they bought one, as they are definitely a specialized type of bike.

If you haven't found it yet, there is a pretty active forum for Rokons at: Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

http://www.rokonworld.com/

Don't expect much support, or sympathy, from the factory unless they have improved their customer service since I owned mine.

Best of luck,

Brian

1969 Rokon 002.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't mean to belittle your experience at all (in fact I quite sympathize, having had similar experiences with other companies before...), but I haven't honestly laughed this hard in a while. You deserve an award for this diction :D :

"Tomorrow I will telephone the Rokon designer and discuss his ancestry, IQ, sexual habits and those of his mother."

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The few times I have ridden or been around the Rokons all I could see and feel was they are a tinkerer's bike. I had no desire to ever own one but by just looking them over I could see fixes I would have to make before I ever took off on any kind of adventure on one. My first impression is a guy came up with a good idea but stopped about half way through the design process and working out the bugs and started selling them long before they were ready for the open market. Much like our beloved TWs these have a Cult following and the prices are IMO off the charts simply due to the reliability factor or lack thereof. I would just sell it and take the money and run.

GaryL

·
Registered
325 Posts
I like that the longest riding clip is about 5 seconds. Between elementary and high school several of my friends and I got, or made mini-bikes. One of their dads got them a Rokon. We mostly rode on the streets and damn that thing was heavy and slow. And if one of us had a problem it almost always was the Rokon. We used to joke it was built to fall apart, slowly.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
We should probably refrain from bashing the Rokon's for which I am guilty. There are lots of guys who love them and probably just like us they love working on them and making them better. These just like our TWs are old school technology and have plenty of their own issues just like ours. I do not ever want one but they sure are a pretty cool bike in their own rather simple way as long as you can keep it running as it was supposed to.

I lean toward the Yamaha Big Wheels myself and would want the 350 CC model if I ever find a decent one at a reasonable price worth fixing up and close enough to go for it. I bet they have a box full of issues too just like the Rokons. The guys just up the street from me have a few Honda Fat Cats, one big one and 2 small ones I think are kids models. I don't know much about them either but I do know they are always working on them to keep them running. We all tend to beat them up and fix them so who cares what brand names is on them when it really is just all about the fun.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
ROKON's look great sitting on a bearskin rug in your living room or hanging from chains in your shop fun to look at and everybody asks about them!

I was buying a TW back in 2009 and the guy had a pristine 2008 ROKON he was also trying to sell and his prices were so dirt cheap I think I got the pair for $2700 old the TW that night for $3500 and had a paid for OD green ROKON that was literally like new !

I rode it up and down my cul-de-sac no more than a 250 foot ride and put it in my rec-room only to notice a bolt head sans the shaft and threads sitting on the engine. Turns out that was the upper engine mount bolt sheered off on it's maiden ride lol

I didn't care after all I stole it and it sat in my rec room for 2 years and was a fun conversation piece. I dreamed of using it in Shasta or Siskiyous county California fetching my gold gear to and from the Feather, American or Yuba River down a trail only I and the Indians ever knew about but needless to say I was taking care of a family member and couldn't leave home for a few years so I finally sold the thing for $4500 and had 3 guys fighting over who got to buy it.

I ended up flipping a dozen buying them for $4k to $5k and selling them for $6995 pretty much as fast as I could find them but the market dried up when everybody and his brother figured out you could ask $7k and up for the damn things!

I agree it's hard to believe they have a business with these things ROKON bragged for 2 years about a new pannier system they were coming out with that turned out to be 2 steel ammo cans bolted on each side for $250 as I recall lol 100 lbs more dead steel weight on a delicate bike that can't carry it's own weight

The thing that gets me is they brag about selling these to the US military for special ops I would think they would be shut down long ago F-ing the military but some how they are still around

Like you guys have said it's a great idea that was just never completed but a 2wd BW350 would be a selling MoFo if it was made reliable by Yamaha etc

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think Rokon owners love their machines. I think they are too embarrassed to admit they were taken in by the sales talk into buying a piece of crap,\
so they brag up just like the factory sales does.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The best I have ever seen was a home made one that had the engine powering a hydraulic pump that drove the hydraulic motors in the fronting back wheels.
Tires were the same as Rokon. The video showed it to be well made and smooth. It would be great if it went into production.
No chains or gears to deal with.
Some years ago Volvo built one like that with a sidecar and all three wheels were hydraulic motors. Alas, it was only an experiment and only one was built.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts