TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
But how does one fill up and then access the extra 2.5 gallons fuel or water stored in the hollow drum wheels?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Well being able to say you had one, especially a classic one is still Wayyyy Cooool.. :)

Yep!

I still have the garage door, but got rid of the Rokon about a year ago. It was a neat bike and I hated to see it go.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dangerous vehicle!

Rokon

The name shall long be remembered by me now :mad:

After riding dirt and street bikes without injury for about 45 years, last Friday I crashed on a friend's Rokon, in our parking lot at work. :(

His is a '72 in original condition, used, but all there except for the home made vinyl seat cover folded and stapled over the foam.
He bought it on Thursday and left it in the back of his truck to bring to work Friday and show off.
At lunchtime several went out to check it out on a ride around the office.
I had forgotten but remembered in time to be the last one to get out there.
As I arrived the one riding it hopped off and told me to try it.

I climbed aboard and saw there was a hand brake and a throttle for controls, no clutch and no foot brake.
(his has a three speed transmission shifted by hand?)
I eased on the gas and was soon rolling along at about walking speed (3 mph).

I had read that they have heavy steering so I started weaving to find out how bad it was.
No problem at all on asphalt! Easy-peasy turning.
Still cruising along at walking speed I leaned into the turn at the corner of the parking lot...

And the next thing I knew was feeling my head bounce on the asphalt. HARD.
One second I was riding and a millisecond later I did a face plant.
No warning, no trying to correct, nothing.

My most serious riding injuries?
Scraped skin on the back of my left hand, left knee, and the left side of my face (didn't improve my looks, darn it!)
I have yellow bruising now on my hand, elbow, face, shoulder, and leg.
Yellow? Why can't I get nice black and blue coloring at least!
Doctor checked me out and all is well, nothing broken, and no concussion.

What happened?

The guys all came running and arrived just as I picked the bike back up.
They (all engineers) said I hit Hard and that my head did bounce off the pavement.
NO helmet of course, it's just a Rokon after all, and minibikes go much faster...
And all my riding gear is at home with my bikes of course.
Yes, I am a ATGATT guy too.
Probably why I never got any real injuries from all my other crashes on and off road racing.

Oh yes, back to how it happened.
I had no idea and the guys said it looked like a 100 mph gust of wind hit me suddenly and knocked me down.
I was riding along and leaned over a little when the bike just went down sideways instantly.
Impossibly fast. Like riding on ice without studs!
So fast that I didn't even get my left hand off the handlebar to brace as we automatically do (good thing I didn't probably!)
Yep, feet on the pegs, hands on the grips and flat on the ground.

Ahhhhh, now we see the problem!

This Rokon's tires are STUDDED. But not with regular ice studs, no the PO had screwed in hex head lag screws for traction, on the edge of the tires.
Except that was some time back because the heads of the lag screws were rounded off so much you could just see that they used to be hex heads.
Now they are steel buttons to slide on the asphalt if you lean over enough to get the rubber middle tread of the tire off the ground.
About the amount of lean I did in fact. :eek:

The asphalt was scratch marked where the bolt head slid out and the engineers figured it all out in their forensic review.

How embarrassing is that?
Now when anyone asks what is the most dangerous bike I have ever ridden is... I have to say a Rokon! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
Hope you feel better soon bro!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts