TW200 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well Gang,
I think I'll pick up a 1 gallon Rotopax and mount but, first I've got to acquire a rack to mount it on. Lot's of choices out there. I don't need one that will hold a weeks worth of camping gear, just maybe the Rotopax and some small stuff. I might get a front rack too, one above the headlight. But, thanks to all who've responded to my inquiry. Very much appreciated. While the Rotopax is designed for harsh treatment, ANY form of auxiliary fuel carrying would be good.
Scott

·
Registered
19,605 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, I can't answer your question directly but will add my perspective. I've been (over)thinking about this same purchase for over a year now myself. I split usage between in-town errands and mountain/desert trail riding. I've carried a 1 gallon can on my rack a couple times and it's awkward.
I finally decided I'm going to just order a Clarke tank and here are the reasons why; First, buying a genuine Rotopax with the necessary accessories gets me almost halfway to the purchase price of a tank. Second, it's easier and less messy because I won't have to transfer fuel from can to tank. Third, it gives me the ability to more than double capacity (XT) to 4 gallons. Fourth, it lets me put my nice factory tank on the shelf or even resell it to help cover the cost of my Clarke. And lastly, leaves my rack wide open for gear, etc.
I like the XT tank on my TW a lot. It's BIG. And with the hockey puck mod (I used rubber sheet strips stacked on top of each other) it fits like a dream. Plus, with a small siphon pump on my rear rack I can refuel my stock TW if need be.

The only downside to the larger tank is that it makes the bike a bit top heavy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey gang,
Just wondering, who carries and uses a Rotopax fuel container and, what size? I'm dangerously close to pushing the order button on Amazon for one of these little 1 gallon containers. And of course, a mount too. There are of course, a few dozen imitations as well to consider. But, although I've purchased the non top of the line part/component/tool etc. before and have been for the most part, pretty well satisfied but, when it comes to carrying GAS, to help me get back from where ever I go, I want to make sure that, it's still gonna be there, not only on the rack but, STILL IN THE CAN! So, with all that jargon said, those you that have used and/or, are still using one, has it lasted, any issues, does it keep sealed, when it comes time to transfer the fuel to your tank, does it pour easily and or, does it come with a good spout that allows for easy transfer?

The imitations can cost quite a bit less but, in reading some reviews, some don't seem to last or have issues. I'd rather not experiment on this issue. Just get the best and be done with it, is my opinion. What say all of you?
Scott
Rotopax and a Clarke tank gets me some good range. With the crooked bolt issue I would not touch a Clarke tank for my TW until they go back to the good old days of just blemishes and need for right side plastic modification.

Rotopax is great, but their environmentally purposed spout makes me spill gas all over the place. Get the rotopax and also order the yellow spout for their water can.
Hey gang,
Just wondering, who carries and uses a Rotopax fuel container and, what size? I'm dangerously close to pushing the order button on Amazon for one of these little 1 gallon containers. And of course, a mount too. There are of course, a few dozen imitations as well to consider. But, although I've purchased the non top of the line part/component/tool etc. before and have been for the most part, pretty well satisfied but, when it comes to carrying GAS, to help me get back from where ever I go, I want to make sure that, it's still gonna be there, not only on the rack but, STILL IN THE CAN! So, with all that jargon said, those you that have used and/or, are still using one, has it lasted, any issues, does it keep sealed, when it comes time to transfer the fuel to your tank, does it pour easily and or, does it come with a good spout that allows for easy transfer?

The imitations can cost quite a bit less but, in reading some reviews, some don't seem to last or have issues. I'd rather not experiment on this issue. Just get the best and be done with it, is my opinion. What say all of you?
Scott

Just got done with my rear rack build. No i can carry 1gal rotopax with me
KIMG0471.JPG
KIMG0465.JPG
KIMG0466.JPG

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is really sweet looking! Having the tank under the rack makes all the difference. Congrats on a truly brilliant setup!

I'll have to think about doing that for my bike that needs a rack. It would be a lot cheaper overall than getting a Clarke XT.

Did you weld that up yourself from scratch or did you modify an existing rack?

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cycle rack with the hump cut and rewelded to the correct position. Cycleracks bag supports. They are fantastic. I had my rotopax mounted up on the rack and at a 90 degree on the rack with an L bracket. Believe me, the cyclerack bag supports are the ticket. They come with a plate predrilled for the rotopax mount. With tank down I hardly notice it. Zero clearance issues. Frees up my rack for more stuff.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice set up Apolloha. Just curious, does your Rotopax rub against the rear fender? I had to lower mine to avoid that.
I actually cut about 1/4" off the bottom of the side plastic. It would have been ok but it would have bugged me. BTW I am using the 1 gallon tank.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, nice job on the rack, Rudolf, but I would be concerned about the added weight on the rather fragile rear sub frame of the TW. That's why the Cycle Rack mounts on the seat mount and the passenger peg bolts. A gallon of gas is only 6 pounds but when you are bouncing around on trails that weight in multiplied.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I ate shit 3... maybe 4 times on my last ride last year in the mud and a rough trail, had an MSR fuel bottle in my tool tube pipe clamped to the side of my rear rack, took some hits and had no issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm a bit more lazy/practical, I just do short hops into the wild. I do plan a Botswana trip and for that I'll have my mrs and her boys driving back-up crew in the 4 x 4 carying the heavy stuff;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, nice job on the rack, Rudolf, but I would be concerned about the added weight on the rather fragile rear sub frame of the TW. That's why the Cycle Rack mounts on the seat mount and the passenger peg bolts. A gallon of gas is only 6 pounds but when you are bouncing around on trails that weight in multiplied.
Now you made me think a little im gonna keep a close eye on my subframe!(y)(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one of the clones 1.3 gal and have about a 1000 miles of desert two tracks this fall and winter on it and it is holding up just fine.

Not a TW but it works for me.

View attachment 202931
Is that a Dewalt 130 toolbox on the back? I was thinking of something like that with either the Dewalt or Milwaukee stacking toolbox. How has it worked for you?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts