TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do a round headlight conversion and need some advice on where to get 1 and weather or not they come with mounting hardware and anything else that may be required to do the job right. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
A plethora of round headlight options exist, ranging from taking one off another bike to buying new from the aftermarket. Side-mount lights usually work in conjunction with mounts that clamp on the forks. Stud-mount lights usually require making a bracket that bolts to triple tree. There really are now model-specific "kits". Mounting and wiring is usually too simple to justify specialized kits. Wander around any collection of naked motorcycles, especially older models, and do a bit of studying. You'll figure it out.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Has anyone done the dominator 2 headlights side by side I'm thinkin about going in that direction?
Not enough alternator output to burn two headlights at once. Well, you could use two 35watt bulbs on a late model bike and convert all the rest of the lights to LED to make up the difference, or you could use two HID coversions and convert all the rest of the lights to LED to make up the difference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
here is what I did to my 2005 a few years ago. I got some stock flat metal at home depot and bent it myself and drilled holes for the bottom mount lights. I tried to put the 55/60w bulbs in and after 3 miles got to push it back home
now I know the 35w is what I had in the first place I am going shopping in the morning. I really like the dominator setup and changing it out because I think mine sits to low

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Your T Dub looks like Baja 1000 bike. Looks good. Do you have any more photos...love to see them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey just joined..got a tip from one of my friends to look this site up...Im so excited! I love the single round headlight..I checked out the links and prob gonna do something like that. I have 07' white n black 200

·
Registered
68 Posts
Give me a few more days and I will take more pics showing how I mounted it behind the reflectors. My T-dub is at the doctor right now. carb and head rebuild
but I been told I am getting a good deal for parts and labor all for $500. If its not a good deal just dont tell me because I dont have alot of options in Korea.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was able to add a junk yard cb500 side mount. I shortened the signal light stem and used them to hold the new/old light. I modified the oem light mount and just made it work.

Wayne.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Doing the round headlight mod is pretty easy. I looked around for the longest time trying to find a "kit" and I even went as far as going to the UK's ebay site and trying to find a round headlight set up on there (since their tw's come with stock round headlights) Even though I had to be a real shmuck to even think about paying for shipping from the UK. Then a member on the old site found some universal parts on flyncycle (sorry but I can't remember his name to give 'em the well deserved credit) So I went the flyncycle route and bought a 7 inch round headlight with universal side mounts. The wiring is really pretty simple, it's all color coded. Just have a little patience (they say it's a virtue) It looked pretty cool.... good luck...

Talk about bad timing, I just sold the whole "set up" in the classifieds about a month ago. Went back to the square headlight....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why not LED....I'm thinking of getting a 6" LED bar over the stock light as a driving/off road light. They are pricey, but I was goingto have it mounted for a quick disconnect so I can use it on my ATV, Jeep, & sand rail. After all, can only ride one veh at a time....

They may have a LED bulb now to replace the stock headlight bulb as well...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Here's mine. Early Goldwing suspended by commonly available mounting ears:

·
Registered
84 Posts

This is a hot setup right here, I like the way this looks, AND I have access to an old CL175 headlamp, so this might be something I'll do.

Regarding THIS setup, does the headlamp shake or rattle when you hit bumps, or is it mounted pretty solid? I'd imagine those ears would flex a little bit??

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

This is a hot setup right here, I like the way this looks, AND I have access to an old CL175 headlamp, so this might be something I'll do.

Regarding THIS setup, does the headlamp shake or rattle when you hit bumps, or is it mounted pretty solid? I'd imagine those ears would flex a little bit??

No. It's rock solid. Notice that the lower part of the "ears" are resting on top of the lower triple. You can't see it, but I lined the inside of the part that clamps to the tubes with rubber.

The Goldwing housing is plastic. If I'm not mistaken the CCL's used a steel housing, but if not you can take a soldering iron to the inside retaining nuts on the plastic housing and push a little of the plastic around them. That way you don't have to remove the headlight guts to tighten them.

IIRC correctly the CL/CB housing is only a 5" reflector. I doubt the output would be much improvement, but at least you'd get the "look" you're after, and not pay the outrageous price that the so-called JDM folks are charging for a headlight that used to cost 10 bucks and was on the shelves by the dozens in every crappy chopper shop in the UU.S. 15 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No. It's rock solid. Notice that the lower part of the "ears" are resting on top of the lower triple. You can't see it, but I lined the inside of the part that clamps to the tubes with rubber.

The Goldwing housing is plastic. If I'm not mistaken the CCL's used a steel housing, but if not you can take a soldering iron to the inside retaining nuts on the plastic housing and push a little of the plastic around them. That way you don't have to remove the headlight guts to tighten them.

IIRC correctly the CL/CB housing is only a 5" reflector. I doubt the output would be much improvement, but at least you'd get the "look" you're after, and not pay the outrageous price that the so-called JDM folks are charging for a headlight that used to cost 10 bucks and was on the shelves by the dozens in every crappy chopper shop in the UU.S. 15 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So if was to go on to the FlynCycle site and get the side mount universal 6.5 mounting dia.. Would it be good light? Wonder if its very bright? HI/Lo a must. prob need a universal kit for mounting. Or I could just tweak the 6" factory brackets out a 1/4" on each side

1 - 20 of 39 Posts