TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other day I went out for a route recon to find a shortcut for some future rides. Since I was out...a while back a local rider from ADVrider (Papayolk), mentioned some local historical places I wasn't aware of, so thought I try to find them, along with a couple other places I've been wanted to find.

Old Fort Boise: Approximate site of the Hudson Bay Trading Company fort at the confluence of the Boise and Snake Rivers. Nothing remains here other than a monument and good views

More Old Fort Boise Info here: Old Fort Boise -- Pathways of Pioneers: Idaho's Oregon Trail Legacy -- Outdoor Idaho (Idaho Public Television)

Apple Valley Community?:

Rode by this old "City" lookin' building out in the middle of farm country. Looked on a map and it could be the community of Apple Valley. Most maps list it nearby, not here, but I did
find one which put it here. So, I dunno exactly, but still a cool old building in what is now an odd place

Nyssa, Oregon WWII German POW Camp: (Note: Nyssa, Oregon-The Gateway of the Oregon Trail. Nyssa was incorporated in 1903, Records conflict about the origin of the town name. Some believe it's the acronym for New York Sheep Shearing Association, or N.Y.S.S.A., since large flocks of sheep were raised here. Another naming version say a railroad engineer asked his daughter to pick out a name. She wasy studying ancient history and her book was open to St. Gregory of Nyssa. (courtesy of Nyssa Chamber of Commerce).

Last remaining building of the old WWII German POW Camp. Building is thought to be the mess hall.

Most of the camp has been torn down and was replaced by agricultural migrant housing. New housing seen in the distance to the center and right

Was gonna go closer, but someone had a pickup backed up to the building, so I took this picture and rode on

Closer

More POW Info here: Taisie's Blog | Musings of an adventurous, creative woman

Cow Hollow CCC Camp, Japanese Internment Camp, County Park:

Here is Cow Hollow Park, and was a WWII Japanese Internment Camp branch

Couldn't tell from here as almost all the buildings are long gone

Old foundation of one of the buildings

Did find one building. Use to be the Laundry and Shower building. On private property now so I didn't look inside...or did I? Only I know if I did or not!

And to my amazement, it was a Civilian Conservation Corp Camp before it was an internment camp. Wow!

More Info here: http://www.ochcom.org/pdf/LeeRussellOCHCWebContent.pdf and here: cowhollow | Malheur County

And just so you all know, I found my route shortcut too!:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the tour Admiral. It's nice to take a small trip from my I Pad. That's nice country. Makes me want to go for a ride. By the way........I really like the look of your TW.

·
Registered
184 Posts
thats one of the best things about a tw,going out and exploring ,seeing new things or old history.i like going out exploring our countryside finding old 1800's log camps and farms ,and old forgotten grave sites from days gone by.i try to imagine what life was like back then,we can learn alot from history.funny when i went to school i hated history mostly because of the having to remember all thoes dates.i would have loved to have gone on that trip with you admiral.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I love that brick building all out on it's own. Definitely makes you think about what used to be there and what the builders hoped for the future.

Thanks for the great historic pics!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way........I really like the look of your TW.
Thanks. I should wash it more though!:p

thats one of the best things about a tw,going out and exploring ,seeing new things or old history.i like going out exploring our countryside finding old 1800's log camps and farms ,and old forgotten grave sites from days gone by.i try to imagine what life was like back then,we can learn alot from history.funny when i went to school i hated history mostly because of the having to remember all thoes dates.i would have loved to have gone on that trip with you admiral.
You and I like finding similar places. I love having a destination to ride too (fire lookouts, old ranches etc).

I am so JEALOUS!
but you have ocean views we don't have!:D

I love that brick building all out on it's own. Definitely makes you think about what used to be there and what the builders hoped for the future.

Thanks for the great historic pics!
Car parked on other side of this building making it appear someone may live in it too. Does make me wonder what it was used for. Trying to find out info about the location, but have come up empty so far. Probably gotta talk to an old timer living nearby or use to live there. Maybe county historical museum.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
fun finding historical places! good pics!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Appreciate the tour. You did an 'admiral' job on this 'private' tour with a 'major' emphasis on history. Oops I'm just 'generalizing'. Had a pow camp near my place in Tennessee. German Afrikacorp mostly. A few Italians too.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
longroof, Ranks = funny.

Online article I read looks like the Nyssa POW camp was occupied by German Afrkacorp soldiers as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm from Apple Valley. Technically I am from Parma, because not many people still recognize Apple Valley as it's own community. The awesome Brick Building is the old Apple Valley Motel. Apple Valley also had its own school. I believe they had grades 1 through 8. Apple Valley kids had to go to Parma for high school. I'm not sure, but I want to say that Apple Valley didn't have grades 5 or 6 either. I was born a little late to get in on the best of the Apple Valley Community, but my father rode is motorcycle to the Apple Valley school house everyday starting in second grade. The main school house was demolished, but the building that his 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms were in still stands. It is used by a local farm to store their equipment now. The land the school was built on was donated by Andrew Nelson. If you want to go to the Old Fort Boise Replica in Parma, Idaho, you can see the Apple Valley school bell.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm gonna go play at Cow Hollow, and see if I can't find the POW camp too!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi! I'm from Apple Valley. Technically I am from Parma, because not many people still recognize Apple Valley as it's own community. The awesome Brick Building is the old Apple Valley Motel. Apple Valley also had its own school. I believe they had grades 1 through 8. Apple Valley kids had to go to Parma for high school. I'm not sure, but I want to say that Apple Valley didn't have grades 5 or 6 either. I was born a little late to get in on the best of the Apple Valley Community, but my father rode is motorcycle to the Apple Valley school house everyday starting in second grade. The main school house was demolished, but the building that his 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms were in still stands. It is used by a local farm to store their equipment now. The land the school was built on was donated by Andrew Nelson. If you want to go to the Old Fort Boise Replica in Parma, Idaho, you can see the Apple Valley school bell.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm gonna go play at Cow Hollow, and see if I can't find the POW camp too!

This is great information. Thanks so much for the contribution to this thread with your first hand local knowledge. Doesn't get any better than that! I've passed by the Replica Fort a hundred times. I believe it's been closed 99 of those 100, and the 1 time it looked open I was in a hurry to get...somewhere?:D

Somewhat related to the area, I searched and searched for a very long time before I discovered the location of where the old Parma Railroad Depot once stood. Found the picture's. Can you point me in the right direction to find the rest of the history of the depot? Basically when and why it was removed/demolished. ...and did Notice have a depot?

Thanks so much for sharing. Good stuff!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts