TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since I saw Randalls ROXOR at MOAB this year I have been drooling over them and was wondering if anybody else here has one or has experience with them?

I like the grill style on Randalls I think it's like the 2018 style the current grills look horrible but they say they are same as CJ bodies so maybe I can swap a really USA Jeep grille

I have not seen a used one for under $19,995 but might even just buy one in a no sales tarrif / penalty state to try one out

any impressions would be great

It's time for me to get a side by side but I hate the CVT over revving belt system I like to lug and put like a TW so the Honda Pioneer is the next best thing I have found at least they have a manual transmission and clutch like a bike would have and the ROXOR would be in that category too

I heard the new computer controlled CVT even mimic "gears" and shift points etc so maybe those would be cool too

I saw a Maverick Trail in Colorado when I picked up my blue 2016 TW and that narrow 50" with all the CanAm goodness looked like run!

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
255 Posts
Interesting, but at 2990 lbs, why not buy a used TJ or JK?

My Kawasaki Mule FX weighs 1600lbs, and it is just too big for some of the trails on my place, But the thing is a workhorse for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha TW200, 2021 CRF300L Rally, 2021 Ford Bronco
14 Posts
I don't know much about the Roxor myself, my boss has one. The one thing i do know is that sometime when they were building the one that looks like a jeep, jeep sued them over it and now they cant make it anymore. The newer ones look more like a fj than a jeep. so if u want one of the jeep looking ones, it might have to buy a used one.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have been looking at side x sides lately.....
They are about to become semi street legal in NC ..
The Honda talon looks interesting with the dual clutch transmission ....
I like the dct much better then the cvt and rubber band.....
But if you buy a new sxs and do the needed upgrades .
You are way into the financial ballpark of a very nice used Jeep ....
$30,000 - 35,000
Just wheels , tires and portals will be 6-7 grand .
Another grand for frame stiffeners and skid plates ...
And so on.....
Gas milage is about the same as a Chevy 4x4 dually.....lol
You definitely have to pay to play

·
Registered
2021 TW; 2016 Honda NC700X
951 Posts
ever since I saw Randalls ROXOR at MOAB this year I have been drooling over them and was wondering if anybody else here has one or has experience with them?

I like the grill style on Randalls I think it's like the 2018 style the current grills look horrible but they say they are same as CJ bodies so maybe I can swap a really USA Jeep grille

I have not seen a used one for under $19,995 but might even just buy one in a no sales tarrif / penalty state to try one out

any impressions would be great

It's time for me to get a side by side but I hate the CVT over revving belt system I like to lug and put like a TW so the Honda Pioneer is the next best thing I have found at least they have a manual transmission and clutch like a bike would have and the ROXOR would be in that category too

I heard the new computer controlled CVT even mimic "gears" and shift points etc so maybe those would be cool too

I saw a Maverick Trail in Colorado when I picked up my blue 2016 TW and that narrow 50" with all the CanAm goodness looked like run!
The local Yamaha dealer had a Roxor franchise. Then the pipeline dried up, with that series of lawsuits. Supposedly it's resolved with a new front clip, but this dealer hasn't taken any more. He may have surrendered the franchise.

The Roxor, as it appears, is BASED on the Jeep CJ. But it went on a different development path years ago.

Mahindra, Roxor's parent company, had licensed with Willys-Overland to build CKD Jeeps, and then locally-manufactured Jeeps under license. When Kaiser bought Willys in 1954, they strengthened the bond. When Kaiser liquidated and AMC bought the Jeep plant and trademarks...the agreement remained but was neglected.

Mahindra continued, first, to make CJ-5s with 81-inch wheelbases. NOT 83 inches, as 1972 and later CJ-5s were made. AMC stretched the engine bay to shoehorn in the Rambler six (which became beloved as the Jeep six, twenty years later with FI). Mahindra did not do this.

When the CJ-7 came out, apparently Mahindra got the rights to make it. BUT. They did it their way, and the Roxor body reflects that. They didn't use the lazy-J door cut, but a more U-channeled cut. They stretched the wheelbase but only to 91 inches, not 93. The interior remained as primitive as the original Jeeps.

Mahindra Jeeps were eventually outlawed, even in India, as not meeting safety standards for new cars. As well, FCA, now Stellantis, doesn't want to license ANYTHING. So, with the Jeep out as a road vehicle in India, Mahindra had the idea to make it an off-road vehicle and make it and sell it, here. It was a cheap use for the machinery - just ship it to the States, to Detroit, to make it with Mahindra diesel engines.

Daimler Chrysler gave the blessing for that original Roxor grille - and that was why the lawsuit. THEY GOT THE OKAY! But FCA, was politically connected, and they didn't like the idea.

So, the new grille.

How does this all tie in to the question? Yes, the pre-1972 CJ GRILLE will fit a Gen1 Roxor. One guy in town did exactly that. But the front clip off a Jeep, will not. The hood to body lines are different. The fenders appear mildly different.

Your best bet would be to get an original Roxor front clip, if you can. If not...you can try fabbing something up.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with the Roxor the diesel was what got me interested otherwise the Honda Pioneer is what I'm looking for and I plan to add a roof top tent albeit a small one

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Which Pioneer? The 700 is bulletproof but slower than it should be... it's basically a 680 Rincon engine. The 500 is very slow but the same width as an ATV so it will go anywhere a regular Wooler will.

The 1000 had... uh.. a lot of transmission problems when it was released. I'm not sure if Honda has gotten their ducks in a row on that one yet but it was certainly better than at launch when my tenure at the dealer came to an end in 2019.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been looking at side x sides lately.....
They are about to become semi street legal in NC ..
The Honda talon looks interesting with the dual clutch transmission ....
I like the dct much better then the cvt and rubber band.....
But if you buy a new sxs and do the needed upgrades .
You are way into the financial ballpark of a very nice used Jeep ....
$30,000 - 35,000
Just wheels , tires and portals will be 6-7 grand .
Another grand for frame stiffeners and skid plates ...
And so on.....
Gas milage is about the same as a Chevy 4x4 dually.....lol
You definitely have to pay to play
Live in NC and see them everywhere, soo cool

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd spring for a Mitsubishi Jeep J54 before a Mahindra. It's essentially a CJ3 with a 4 cylinder diesel. They made them under license until the late 90s. I remember seeing them new in the lot in Japan in 1996.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just met a really nice couple here in Payson AZ today with their 2019 Roxor and they let me give it the once over and I must say it seems to be built very stout even more than I expected

they say 50mph is top speed but they just play around the town of Payson so that’s perfect and I could see their kids loved it lol
Wheel Vehicle Sky Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Road surface Font Asphalt

·
Registered
175 Posts
The local Yamaha dealer had a Roxor franchise. Then the pipeline dried up, with that series of lawsuits. Supposedly it's resolved with a new front clip, but this dealer hasn't taken any more. He may have surrendered the franchise.

The Roxor, as it appears, is BASED on the Jeep CJ. But it went on a different development path years ago.

Mahindra, Roxor's parent company, had licensed with Willys-Overland to build CKD Jeeps, and then locally-manufactured Jeeps under license. When Kaiser bought Willys in 1954, they strengthened the bond. When Kaiser liquidated and AMC bought the Jeep plant and trademarks...the agreement remained but was neglected.

Mahindra continued, first, to make CJ-5s with 81-inch wheelbases. NOT 83 inches, as 1972 and later CJ-5s were made. AMC stretched the engine bay to shoehorn in the Rambler six (which became beloved as the Jeep six, twenty years later with FI). Mahindra did not do this.

When the CJ-7 came out, apparently Mahindra got the rights to make it. BUT. They did it their way, and the Roxor body reflects that. They didn't use the lazy-J door cut, but a more U-channeled cut. They stretched the wheelbase but only to 91 inches, not 93. The interior remained as primitive as the original Jeeps.

Mahindra Jeeps were eventually outlawed, even in India, as not meeting safety standards for new cars. As well, FCA, now Stellantis, doesn't want to license ANYTHING. So, with the Jeep out as a road vehicle in India, Mahindra had the idea to make it an off-road vehicle and make it and sell it, here. It was a cheap use for the machinery - just ship it to the States, to Detroit, to make it with Mahindra diesel engines.

Daimler Chrysler gave the blessing for that original Roxor grille - and that was why the lawsuit. THEY GOT THE OKAY! But FCA, was politically connected, and they didn't like the idea.

So, the new grille.

How does this all tie in to the question? Yes, the pre-1972 CJ GRILLE will fit a Gen1 Roxor. One guy in town did exactly that. But the front clip off a Jeep, will not. The hood to body lines are different. The fenders appear mildly different.

Your best bet would be to get an original Roxor front clip, if you can. If not...you can try fabbing something up.
[/QUO
Just met a really nice couple here in Payson AZ today with their 2019 Roxor and they let me give it the once over and I must say it seems to be built very stout even more than I expected

they say 50mph is top speed but they just play around the town of Payson so that’s perfect and I could see their kids loved it lol
View attachment 229808
View attachment 229807
View attachment 229809
View attachment 229811
View attachment 229812
View attachment 229810
View attachment 229805
View attachment 229806
Dang, Placer, that thing is really cool!
I think you need one REAL BAD!(y)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Which Pioneer? The 700 is bulletproof but slower than it should be... it's basically a 680 Rincon engine. The 500 is very slow but the same width as an ATV so it will go anywhere a regular Wooler will.

The 1000 had... uh.. a lot of transmission problems when it was released. I'm not sure if Honda has gotten their ducks in a row on that one yet but it was certainly better than at launch when my tenure at the dealer came to an end in 2019.
well funny you ask I just decided today I also want a 500 because they are small and I can find low milers for pretty reasonable almost like TW's and the first two sellers I called were interested in a TW trade

I want a 1000-5 though and a few friends who have them here in the Prescott area run the snot out of them including tipping on sides regularly and rolling them occasionally with no transmission complaints - I need a fairly flat top roll cage although I could easily build brackets for a slanted roll cage to support a roof top tent - the Teryx, Wolverine and Pioneer 5 seaters all seem like good candidates

I had a 2014 Teryx and hate the fact you have to rev the crap out of them to get them to move I like idling and lugging around on occasion and the Teryx was screaming just to go like 20mph I literally had to wear earplugs and that cannot be good for fuel economy - I have a buddy with a Wolverine and he says it's the quietest side by side he has found and he's had them all except the Honda

I hear the Talon and Pioneer 1000 are the same engine but not sure if they are the same Tranny but people seem to love the Talon transmission

good to hear ideas from all the forum members I figured there would be plenty of knowledge here

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it seems the ROXOR is very much like the TW200 in that stock units are very cool but really need mods and the mods seem to be unending and expensive lol

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
it seems the ROXOR is very much like the TW200 in that stock units are very cool but really need mods and the mods seem to be unending and expensive lol

View attachment 229829
I've heard the the Roxor seat is sitable for 25 minutes without novacaine. Seems more like a VanVan than a TW.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
934 Posts
My local Yamaha dealer has one on the showroom. But not for sale! Came in container with tractors, they also Mahindra dealer. They are not allowed to sell it in California.
Once you go outside of USA most 4x4 units are diesel powered, that’s what powers the third world. There’s a plethora of neato diesel little pickups and SUVs. Even the iconic Land Cruiser comes with diesel everywhere but the US. So there Are alternate if you wish to wade the morass of legit.
Worth it as the old school indirect injection diesels are so efficient and dependable. Like TW.

·
Registered
'20 TW with mods
171 Posts
Keep en eye out for a first gen YJ jeep that has leaf springs. They seem to be the lowest priced models. I'd like to find a 4 cyl one that needs an engine, then drop in a VW 1.9 ALH TDI. You can get conversion kits for them. I currently own 2 VW TDI cars. One has 400,000 miles on it, and the other 300. They are reliable little engines. You also have a couple of options that deal with the electronics. You can convert it to an M-TDI with a mechanical injector pump. This removes all of the electronics, or you can have the ECU reprogrammed to remove any unnecessary swap related things, like the factory immobilization, etc.

M-TDI

E-TDI

Here's an E-TDI swap

1 - 20 of 25 Posts