TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proved impossible to register over at the Enfield forum so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone can help.

Problem: Brake light is on all the time.

What I know:

Bulb is fine.
If I disconnect the rear brake pedal switch the brake light still stays on.
If I remove the front brake lever and DEPRESS the switch "tit" the brake light goes out and the tail light is on as it is supposed to be.
If I depress the front lever switch "tit" so the brake light goes out and depress the rear brake pedal the brake light comes on as it should.

What the heck is going on? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There appear to be two wires coming from the front switch. I can't tell what really activates it. I removed the front brake lever pivot bolt (the usual setup) and just lifted it away. In the housing is a little push switch. If I take a small screwdriver and push it in, the brake light goes out and the tail remains on as it should. I feel just like the guy in the post I linked...it seems backwards. Like pushing in the switch should turn the brake light on. But it doesn't. It stays on, and when I depress this little switch it goes out. It seemed like the guy in the forum posts I linked said that was the way it was supposed to work, but I am confused. He says something about cable tension keeping the switch depressed, which I take to mean when the brake lever is pulled this would some how take pressure off it. Very confusing.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like the front brake switch is a "normally closed" switch, opened when the lever is actuated. Is this so?
That's kind of what I gather from what I have read Gregor. If I depress the switch with a screwdriver it opens/turns off brake light. However, actuating the lever when it is in place does nothing at all. Which leads me to believe the switch isn't making whatever kind of contact it is supposed to with the lever.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Perhaps the "tit" is worn down or there is a depression on the lever or the lever never gets to full rest position and the switch never gets fully actuated when the lever is at rest.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the feeling it is one of those two, worn down or not seated correctly. I will investigate further. I was initially stumped by depressing the switch to turn brake light off. When I looked at the shape and mechanics of the brake lever, I just couldn't (and still can't sitting here) figure out how that would work. I'm on it. Thanks for the help, I will report back. I may even try the tightening cable thing suggested in the linked post too, front brake "feels" right to me, but hey, it's an Enfield, primitive as heck, field repairable with beer cans, moss, coat hangers and duct tape. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I think it works the same as our TW switches. Recently I changed bars and added risers to my bike and it was a little bit of a stretch. My brake switch pulled out slightly and then I had the rear brake on all the time. It has to be plugged in well for the plunger to depress or the light will stay on. I ordered a new switch (about 10 bucks) but it didn't want to stay in very well either. I ended up using the old switch and saving the new one for later use if needed. I plugged it in, held it in all the way and put a tiny screw in from the top of the housing to get it to stay. So far so good, it's fixed. If it's not in all the way, the brake light will come on. The plunger has to be depressed for the brake light to work right, then when you pull the brake lever, the plunger is allowed to come out and the brake light goes on.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense littletommy. Will be this evening's project if I get done in time from setting up a tipi for the American Heritage Girls campout this weekend up a t Scout Camp (first things first, I'll just ride the TW up).

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Makes sense littletommy. Will be this evening's project if I get done in time from setting up a tipi for the American Heritage Girls campout this weekend up a t Scout Camp (first things first, I'll just ride the TW up).
That one post you asked about...the one where the guy was mentioning cable tension?...He was speaking of the same thing, tension on the cable pulling it out some and causing a problem. I think your switch is fine, it's just pulled out some. If you push or hold it in, it works correctly, right?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. It is in as far as I can get it. It doesn't work correctly unless I remove the lever and depress it with a small screwdriver. Being an Enfield the approved fix may be to cut a strip of PBR can, bend it over and stuff it in the lever housing :D

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks littletommy. I at least understand the concept now, I think I can solve it somehow. My neighbor said just clip the damb wires..."how many times you stop with just the front brake anyways?" Bit extreme, but ya never know....

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use my front brake all the time, often before I use the rear. You don't want to start cutting and lose your front brake switch, just saying...
I totally agree with you. I think what he meant, and for me it is true, I seldom only use the front brake. So eventually the lights would come on. I think I can shim it out or something. Cleaning it and hitting it with silicone spray sure didn't do much.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
If you bypass it, the whole time you are using it, before activating the rear, the guy behind you doesn't know you are slowing down. Shim it and stuff something in the hole and button it up. I'm sure you'll have it fixed before the end of the day and will be good to go. I saw your post first thing when you posted it yesterday, and tried 2 or 3 times to respond, but wasn't feeling well and couldn't get my thoughts together well enough to type it. I felt guilty I couldn't help you yesterday. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts