TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have family up around Carson City, NV. Motorcycles, dirtbikes and rock climbing jeeps are their main form of entertainment (or skiing, but that's for work).
One year my uncle and cousin took me in their Unimog & jeep up to the Rubicon trail. We only went a short way along the trail, but had a blast climbing through some pretty country. A couple of ATV tours passed us at one point, which got me thinking... has anyone taken the TW's along the Rubicon? It seems like a great place to ride.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet link! Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
The Rubicon has some pretty challenging sections. The TWs are much faster than the jeeps but slower than full on enduro bikes. If you are skilled it makes for a fantastic destination though. I think some of us will try to organize a ride there this summer. I would like to test some difficult granite ledges with a full camp load-out to see if an overnight trip in there s feasible. I led a group summer before last trying to get in but encountered a road closure due to Jeeper's Jamboree. they had a "Parade Permit" giving them exclusive use of the trail. We had fun going only part way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fred,

I really think we need to start planning a group ride. I'd vote late June - that should allow for most of the snow to melt, whatta ya think?

Meet Friday night at Loon lake, wake up early, pack and ride in, camp, ride out Sunday?

Geez, the Rubicon is an already grueling event on a moto...I can't even imagine trying some of those obstacles fully loaded with gear. I reckon, if there's a will - there's a way though ;) I can only imagine Cadillac Hill being the most problematic under load. At that point, a nice cable puller and tow strap would come in handy.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Workout is right! It was a lot of fun and I would be up for going back and campout overnight would be sooo cool with the tw misfit gang!

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Unless you are boat camping all the primitive lakeside camping is closed off these days surrounding Loon Lake. You are still welcome to directly inject all the oil you want into the pristine lake waters with your boat's two-stroke outboard motor but the Forest Service seems to get apoplectic at the very idea that your truck could drip any oil or grease along the shore line.
As such we might have to either 1) Camp w/ TWs along lake shore where rangers can't find us 2) Make silly expensive reservations well in advance on internet for limited developed campground group sites ( I recall only one group site last time I was there).
or 3) primitive camp on the Wentworth Springs road just ~ 1/2 mile west of Loon Lake.
....otherwise sounds like a great plan Adam. Anyone starting out and finding things a bit too difficult can turn around at Little Sluice Box, Buck Island Lake, wherever, and return for lots of mellower riding amongst the many miles of asphalt roads branching off from the Ice House Reservoir Road. There is even riding hwy50 to Tahoe, or drop down to American River and go up Silver Fork (?) and it's multitude of secondary roads to Hwy 89 up by PiPi Valley (?). Then we all meet back at camp and swap tall tales.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts