TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you guys have a ruger mini thirty?...just wondering if the older series shoot as well and the recent series?.....shooting well from a mini might be a stretch...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I believe the newer mini-14s fixed some problems that were inherent in the earlier models. Don't know if the mini-thirty fell into the same situation; but there should be lots of info on those forums.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The Mini 14 and 30s are one of the few legal military type guns we can have here in NY. All of the ARs have to be registered while the minis remain under the wire with no pistol grip. I don't necessarily think they are a great weapon but they can get the job done when there is no other option. I know we can get 20 and 30 round mags for them but they too are illegal here in NY.

GaryL

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a new gen mini-14 chambered for 5.56mm and is accurate out to 300yds. Only problem I've had is the gas bushing is too large. This is fine for .223 ammo but it causes brass to be ejected way too aggressively when shooting 5.56mm mil spec ammo. This eventually caused the ejector to fail (fell right out). I should have changed it for a smaller diameter gasket after I saw the brass ejecting out about 20ft.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had a newer Mini 30 "Tactical" version. It was OK in the accuracy dept, good for 100 yards with open sights.

It didn't like surplus or steel cased 7.62x39 or WOLF etc... soft primer strikes, so I replaced the hammer spring the HD spring.

Mags are expensive too...boooo

Traded it for an AR-15, never looked back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Beeline- How did the .045 work? Do you know the OEM size of your newest gen. bushing that you replaced?
What do you think about the single large size they offer for $7?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Beeline- How did the .045 work? Do you know the OEM size of your newest gen. bushing that you replaced?
This just happened last week. I got the extractor plunger and spring but I'm still waiting for a replacement extractor (it got pretty beat up when the plunger failed). I'll post an update when I get it back together.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Beeline, What's a .045?
That's the size of the aftermarket gas block gasket. The stock gasket has a .085" hole which lets way too much pressure through and forces the bolt back with too much force. A friend explained to me that gun manufacturers have to build a gun that will work with any kind of ammo so in this case a large hole to insure low power ammo will still cycle. Unfortunately that's not the best setup for high power ammo.

wb908-Photo-30.jpg

BTW I've been calling it a gasket... it's actually a bushing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I finally got around to testing the new .045 gas bushing out. Worked great with Lake City .556 M193 ammo. Bolt cycles without slamming back as hard and brass is no longer mangled and will be reloadable. Brass was ejecting out to 20/30ft. It's now landing 6ft.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Very interesting Beeline! My Ranch rifle in .223 shoots just fine and does not seem beat up the brass all that much. It does however toss the spent casings about 20 feet and not so much in the same general area. I find them 20 feet north, 18 feet south and some go straight up and drop close but the bullets hit the mark on the target no matter what the casings do. I shoot all Federal ammo and don't know if that is considered high or low power. My rifle is what ever generation was being made around 2000-2002. Until you joined this discussion I would never have given this any thought just because the gun shoots fine, never jams and I have no complaints at all with it. You just had to do it didn't you:eek:?

Now I am wondering if switching the bushing to a lighter blow back might be better for the longevity of the gun? It is always nice when we can share the info that has been learned by those who went before us just like we try to do with our TWs. Here in NY the Minis are the only legal black guns we can still have that meet the BS, NY Safe Act regulations simply because they lack the AR style pistol grip that classifies any rifle as an assault weapon. I am not one who goes out to empty a magazine in as fast as it can fire but I do demand fail safe functioning on every shot.

My Marlin Camp 9 is a very similar action and has a recoil buffer block prone to failure probably for the same reason, too much pressure on the blow back and it disintegrates the recoil buffer block. I keep a few spare buffer blocks handy at all times because the gun is dead once the buffer crumbles. Ammunition often lists the FPS the bullets fly at but none that I know of list any of the recoil pressures they send the bolt back with. Back when I had my Wildy .475 Magnum it had an adjusting dial so I could match the blow back to the powder load of the ammo I was using. Great idea and concept except it was near impossible to ever get the action to function reliably when you changed the powder type or the ammount in grains for the various bullet weights I was shooting. Even with staying with the same weight bullet and the same powder charge if I went from 300 Gr. solid jackets to hollow points I had to mess around with the blow back adjustment and never could get it to function right on every shot if I changed anything.

I saved your link to where you bought the .45 bushing but don't know if I need it or not for my Ruger Ranch. I will rely on your advice and thanks for giving us you valued opinions.

GaryL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts