1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I think someone, Lizrdbrth I think, did some research on this a long time ago. Since you use your TW to commute, maybe you should consider one of those ATV tires. Just a thought.

·
Registered
601 Posts
really strange reading things like this, we in the UK dont change anything on our cars or bikes and then when the snow comes the country simply grinds to a holt.

No one can get to work, buses stop as do trains along with airplanes etc.

Strange how you guys can simply carry on in terrible conditions where as we do get snow but we cant say when and at its deepest its probably a foot and everything stops.

I cant wait until it snows as i shal be out on the TW every night!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I agree with Admiral. The problem with car tires is that they don't flex, even when aired down. Great in a straight line, but they only ride on the squared edges in even a very slight turn. The TW doesn't have enough weight to keep the tread face parallel with the road. I'm a desert dweller but it snows often enough here that I can tell you that the stock TW knobby is better than most on snow, but not great. On ice it's no better than anything else.l

I think an ATV tire would be a better choice.

But if you're gunna play with "darksiding" with car tires at least know the risks. Unless you find one which literally falls onto the bead the stiffer bead of an automotive tire can be a bit problematic. Read the entire thread, which shows a few things such as how the tire rides on its edge, and how it starts out with me thinking I'd killed a fat rat and ends in what could have cost me my head. Be just as careful about ATV tires for the same reasons:

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/1318-yet-another-rear-tire-option-maxxis-bighorn-mt-762-a.html

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys. Well all some of my thoughts are not very fruitful :)

Smathersfish, I only looked at this for winter traction. Winter car tire treads and compounds are very good.

I will keep searching for THE solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts