TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got the title to my 1987 (with 1700 miles on it) tw yesterday and went and got registration and tag and set out for much anticipated ride. i have ridden close to home for past month or so with little to no problems. took carb off when i first brought it home and cleaned to best of my ability, at the time i was able to extract the main jet for cleaning but could not get the pilot jet out...so it didnt get cleaned. ok, so it starts right up and runs great, i get going (still running well) and head down the road. runs good for about half mile to a mile (getting up to around 35 or 40, then it begins to backfire, cut-out and eventually die, and wont immediately crank back up. if i sit for a few minutes it will start back up and go for another mile or so and then die again and i have to wait and then go again. to me it seems to be burning the fuel thats accumulated in the bowl and then is starving for fuel?? any help is greatly appreciated

Super Moderator
i finally got the title to my 1987 (with 1700 miles on it) tw yesterday and went and got registration and tag and set out for much anticipated ride. i have ridden close to home for past month or so with little to no problems. took carb off when i first brought it home and cleaned to best of my ability, at the time i was able to extract the main jet for cleaning but could not get the pilot jet out...so it didnt get cleaned. ok, so it starts right up and runs great, i get going (still running well) and head down the road. runs good for about half mile to a mile (getting up to around 35 or 40, then it begins to backfire, cut-out and eventually die, and wont immediately crank back up. if i sit for a few minutes it will start back up and go for another mile or so and then die again and i have to wait and then go again. to me it seems to be burning the fuel thats accumulated in the bowl and then is starving for fuel?? any help is greatly appreciated
Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Have you checked for good gas flow from the petcock? There is a little bowl on the bottom of the petcock that you can take off and clean, look for junk in it and clean it out. I think there is a screen in there as well that you should check. You might try Lucus deep fuel cleaner to further clean out the carb as you drive. It did wonders for one of my bikes. Hopefully, its not the cdi going bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. i am going to check the petcock bowl, screen and line to carb. i had it off the other day and did have flow, how much should be flowing out (just a trickle or a good solid flow)? and what is cdi?

Super Moderator

Registered
Have you checked and changed the oil? My CRF230L did the same thing when I first got it. Ran for 5 minutes, died, and wouldn't start up for at least 3-5 minutes. Run for a few more minutes, die, wait, start, repeat.

I had checked the oil level prior to riding and it was OK - almost black but I figured one little ride wouldn't hurt before changing it. After barely getting the bike home I changed the oil and it had a watery consistency. The bike only had 2100 miles on it, so god knows what happened...maybe it was the break in oil or something long overdue thanks to a dumbass previous owner. :/

I changed the oil, and that alone solved the problem. Not one single engine cut out or miss since now at 3900 miles.

Registered
I would also check the fuel tank vent.

check what all these guys said...do you have a stock tank?...not sure exactly how the stock tank vents cause my tank was changed out right when i bought it due to a leak in the tank...i do still have the tank and gas cap so if you end up needing a cap i could sell you the one from my 2000 (just would need to get another key made for it)...i believe the key stays in the stock TW tank cap lock when you take the cap off right?...if this is the case and you have 2 keys just put the key in and loosen the cap a bit and use your other key to start the bike and ride around to see if that is the issue

my other bike would do exactly what you're describing and i had a gas cap venting problem...either the hose was kinked or the valve on it was junk (see first photo)...i also noticed when i bought the bike that this hose was disconnected so i pulled the hose back off the cap and rode it and it rode fine so i would just put it back on when i stuck it in the garage...after a while of doing this i just bought one of those dirt bike vent tubes which you can see in the second photo...on my TW i have a clarke tank so i put the same type of vent tube on that as well (see third photo)

Registered
Its 26 years old

Tank is FULL of who knows what

Pull the petcock itself for a flush and in the case of little crap

Get a PAPER filter type gas filter pilot jet smaller than many screens

Run the next 4 tanks with double dose of Seafoam, Seafoam works overnight so be patient

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to everybody who replied, greatly appreciated. havent been able to work on it yet, but when i do im gonna check out the petcock cleanliness and check the float (it was sticking pretty good when i went to clean it the first time). hope that gets it. a buddy of mine owns a small engine repair place and he said hes got an associate that has a michine that cleans carbs? says it come out looking like new...anyone ever tried this?

Registered
........... hes got an associate that has a michine that cleans carbs? says it come out looking like new...anyone ever tried this?

I have never tried it but have read on this forum and others that a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and Simple Green mixed 1:4 or 1:5 with hot water, changing the water / SG a couple of times, works miracles. Next time HF has their ultrasonic cleaners on sale I am getting one.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
well i checked out the petcock, by just unscrewing the plate where the on/off/res is, didnt know if i needed to go into more than that? also i pulled the carb back off. it wasnt super dirty or didnt have any junk in the bowl. recleaned anyhow. still no run good. it fires right up and idles smooth. get going down the road and up to speed, when i slow down and come to a stop it dies, and im left waiting for few minutes to start back up. it wasnt like this upon first getting going a month ago, had a few rides on it with no problems. starting to get frustrating...nice here in N. MS and i wanna ride!! im pretty stunmped on this one...

Super Moderator
Try going back to the petcock and below the little plate with the two screws at the very bottom is a little cap/bowl that unsrews also. Take it off, clean it out, look for the screen and make sure it is clean also. Reassemble, then check to see that you have GOOD flow when you open the petcock, no dribble, should be a solid stream coming out.

Registered
Tommy, if you have a filter bowl style petcock count yourself lucky, but they were not O.E.M. on Tw's.

Yours is probably from another model, so most won't understand what you're referring to.

Super Moderator
Tommy, if you have a filter bowl style petcock count yourself lucky, but they were not O.E.M. on Tw's.

Yours is probably from another model, so most won't understand what you're referring to.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought it was stock and came with it since it only had 1600 miles on it when I got it. Mine is one of those 87's

I wonder why it would have been changed?

thank you for the info Lizrdbrth!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Try going back to the petcock and below the little plate with the two screws at the very bottom is a little cap/bowl that unsrews also. Take it off, clean it out, look for the screen and make sure it is clean also. Reassemble, then check to see that you have GOOD flow when you open the petcock, no dribble, should be a solid stream coming out.

possible for you to post a pic of yours lil tommy?

Super Moderator
possible for you to post a pic of yours lil tommy?
Sorry, but I don't have a camera. I would if I could.

I assume you don't have one or you would have seen it.

Anyone else out there have this setup with the little cleanout bowl at the bottom of the petcock? If so, can you take a pic and post it?

Registered
Really? I didn't know that. I thought it was stock and came with it since it only had 1600 miles on it when I got it. Mine is one of those 87's

I wonder why it would have been changed?

thank you for the info Lizrdbrth!

The '80's were the beginning of the end for a lot of little features like that. It's entirely possible that yours was one of the tail-end units and I'm completely wrong.

By '85 or so they'd pretty much disappeared from the Big Three. They phased them out by first cheapening them with funky plastic bowls which usually broke the first time you tried to remove them, leaving you stranded. If yours has a cast aluminum bowl rather than plastic it's definitely from some other, earlier bike.

Oddly enough most Chinabikes still have them, even brand new ones. I guess they don't put up with that nonsense.

As far as why it may have been changed, petcocks wear out and/or start leaking. It's not uncommon for a bike to have its petcock replace several times in its life. Yamaha gets as much for the repair kit as they do for a complete new petcock, so most just go the new petcock route.

Super Moderator
The '80's were the beginning of the end for a lot of little features like that. It's entirely possible that yours was one of the tail-end units and I'm completely wrong.

By '85 or so they'd pretty much disappeared from the Big Three. They phased them out by first cheapening them with funky plastic bowls which usually broke the first time you tried to remove them, leaving you stranded. If yours has a cast aluminum bowl rather than plastic it's definitely from some other, earlier bike.

Oddly enough most Chinabikes still have them, even brand new ones. I guess they don't put up with that nonsense.
It's a aluminum bowl or pot metal. A lot of my bikes had those years ago, I was sure it was stock since it had so little miles on it.

I have a new petcock to put on when the bike gets a makeover soon. The one that is on there can be really hard to turn sometimes. Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I really love the fact that folks really try to help on this forum, there seem to be some great folks here. I lurked so long on the forum that I felt I already knew some of these guys by the time I joined.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts