TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally getting some solid miles on the 2014 tw....a few days break as my High School umpiring rolls into Summer Wood Bats and American Legion Baseball...I got out and put about 50 miles riding the blacktop and 2 lanes around the Northern part of Mercer County{OH}...sadly most of the classic bridges such as this one I took a photo of 20 years ago are gone:

GallmanRoadBridge.jpg

They have been replace by generic types and cookie cutter designs....here is the same location/different bridge as I crossed it this morning: :sad6:

tw and bridges 001.JPG

Some 1950s style bridges are still out there but the old ones are gone, except a few:

tw and bridges 006.JPG

The old Cemeteries are still around, but even some of those are sitting back in Corn Fields and hard to get to....this one opened in 1885 as a family plot: The cemetery itself can be seen well back past the corn rows:

tw and bridges 008.JPG

I was about to head south for some more bridges and better cemetery photos, when I noticed some heavy yellow and reds showing up on local Radar....might have to put that journey off until tomorrow when the Sun is expected to shine all day.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Nice explorations Pat. I kinda like those old bridges too. That blue TW color really looks good now that finally some sun is shining on it.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
I love the old bridges. Old railroad bridges are a bonus. I also like finding the old pioneer cemeteries. More remote and hard to find the better.

New bridges, while marvels of engineering, are boring...mostly!

Cool stuff Hoot and Croatoan.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Check out woodland cemetery here in Dayton. Its amazing! The Wright brothers are buried there too.

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
If yall like cemetaries, you need to go to the big island of hawaii, it is like the king of cemetary places. People came from all over the pacific and asia to cut sugar cane. When they died they were buried in ethnicity specific cemetaries. One for japanese, one for chinese, one for portugese, etc etc etc. The gravestones are spectacular and gorgeous, but a little neglected. Each ethnicity has a very specific style of tombstone. Its worth the price of a ticket. Also gorgeoous country to ride a TW throough. Lived there briefly years back. IMHO the best place on earth. Comparitively everywhere else in the world is a $#1thole. Curiously, it also has a lot of old and spectacular bridges.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back out today ...touring some of the south Grand Lake Area that I spent my High School years at....included are the Long Cemetery on Harrison Road south of the berg of Montezuma, Ohio...this place has stones dated as far back as the late 1700s, before Ohio became a state and long before Grand Lake was even hand dug back in the early 1800s:

The old farm house where we lived back in the 1980s on Coldwater Creek...our kids grew up here...sadly whoever owned it, 2 families post ours, tore down the barns and finally must have had it repossessed....out in the middle of nowhere, it was a great place to raise kids and Airedales for a decade....sad to see it in this condition.

Windy Point on the south side of Grand Lake....swam, drank beer, and chased girls, in my High School years....the Beach has been Restored, but with the Alga problems, not a lot of swimming going on here these days....

more TW 005.JPG more TW 002.JPG more TW 010.JPG

And finally Whiskey Run....after living in South Florida in the 1950s and early 60s...we moved to Montezuma, Ohio, and here is where I learned to Ice Skate back in the bitter winter of 1963-64

more TW 004.JPG

Just riding in the sunshine at 40-45mph on these back roads had those years of youth from 45-50 years ago coming rolling back to my mind...;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I enjoy visiting old cemetaries, I find them interesting. Not too many bridges of interest here in CO, but I like looking at others photos of them. :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing!

I enjoy visiting old cemetaries, I find them interesting. Not too many bridges of interest here in CO, but I like looking at others photos of them. :)
Yep HH, the old bridges are few and far between, most having been replaced over the past 25 years...but I'm still searching for some old ones to photograph....the next phase will be to head to Fort Recovery on the Ohio/Indiana State Line where the Wabash River begins it's trip from Ohio through Indiana to the Ohio River....some 480 miles.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beginnings of the Wabash River

When people think Wabash River, they usually think "Indiana"....and it's true that the majority of the famous river flows though the central and south parts of the Hoosier State...but it gets it's beginnings here in Mercer County, Ohio....about a mile from Indiana's State Line....it flows south for a few miles into Darke County, then back into Mercer and through the nearest town to it's beginning point, Fort Recovery. The "Fort" is famous for several things, despite it only being about 1500 residents in size....The Ambassador Park National Tractor Pulls in June and again in the Fall, the FR School system are the top ranked public schools in Ohio....and the original Fort Recovery is where General St Clair met his "Waterloo" as his troops had their asses kicked all the way back to Cincinnati by Chief Little Turtle and his boys of the Miami Tribe: I stopped there for the obligatory photo session: {the original fort is long gone and replaced in size and likeness}:eek:

Wabash and Fort Recovery 003.JPG Wabash and Fort Recovery 004.JPG

After a quick visit to the "Fort" I rode to Ambassador Park and took some back trails through gravel and grass, finally getting a few "Off Road" minutes on the tw...they have been few and far between since I purchased it in Maumee back in late March:

Wabash and Fort Recovery 010.JPG

Then I head backtracking the Wabash east and north of Fort Recovery through the town named after it, Wabash, Ohio, on St Route 29:

Wabash and Fort Recovery 001.JPG

Finally turning east towards home {Celina} I made my way to the site of my first MotoX Race....it was the fall of 1975 and I took my Dual Sport Street Legal Kawasaki 250 to the course at the corner of Hellwarth Road and Mud Pike, some 4 miles west of Celina....can't remember where I finished, but I did...also broke the front fender off and hitting another bike in a mud pit, I laid it down and me on top of the exhaust....just above my leathers...burned a nice half dollar spot in my right side, which left a nice reminder scar for many years....this is what the former course looks like today....a freshly planted field of corn: :p

Wabash and Fort Recovery 013.JPG

Enough Flash Backs and Memory Jogging for today....time to mow the yard and get ready for tonight beginnings of Summer High School Season, with a umpire gig here in Celina.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts