TW200 Forum banner

What weekend in June could you attend?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it is 4 degrees and going down with the mercury doing the turtle. It sure is a bad time to be discussing any kind of get together in these parts but lets start thinking about a place to do it and getting an idea on who is interested.

I figure NY, NJ, PA, VT, NH, CT, MA and Maine could cover most of this area but where to meet will be a trick. Here in NY there are not many places that would welcome us but in the surrounding states I know there are plenty of good rides we could take.

If we can keep this thread going and collectively pick a place and time some time after June we might be able to put something together. It is hard to tell just how many T Dubbers we have around here because lots of you don't have your profiles filled in.

Subscribe here to this thread and state your interest, state where you live and your ideas of a place to get together. Our weather usually is not conducive until around June or July so keep that in mind.

You don't have to have known Russ (Lizrdbrth) to honor he who is watching over us!

GaryL

UPDATE!

There is more info on Page 4 and 5 to see what has been discussed so far and there is no reason we can't do a few different rides in other areas.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subscribed. Northern NJ here.
Me, Bucknutz and Gregor are in NY but just over the NJ line from Montague.

GaryL

·
Registered
363 Posts
Will from Moultonborough, NH during the summer months. I don't think I really know enough trails in my area to interest the group, but I'd enjoy getting together.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Subscribed. I'm South of Buffalo at the Pa line. I mentioned in the original thread about a great location in Galeton, Pa on Rt-6 and someone else mentioned Marienville where the (fee) trail system is.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what happens. My longest day on TW so far is 80 miles....

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Subscribed. I'm South of Buffalo at the Pa line. I mentioned in the original thread about a great location in Galeton, Pa on Rt-6 and someone else mentioned Marienville where the (fee) trail system is.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what happens. My longest day on TW so far is 80 miles....
More info on the fee trail please. I think we'll have a hard time finding a place to ride off road. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bradford works for me. Wife's mom lives in Lewis Run.

I think both NY and NJ are pretty much anti off road with very few exceptions. VT, NH and Maine are a lot more friendly but also a lot farther for us most southern dubbers.

Keep the info coming on decent on and off road mixtures so we can at least agree on a location. I will do some checking here with a few of the big hunting clubs that have thousands of acres with some serious trails but all of them would absolutely require insurance and legal road worthy steeds to even consider such adventures.

GaryL

·
Registered
736 Posts
well..you know me Gary. I'm not sure about VT except the dirt roads thru the Green Mtn Nat'l forest in the south part of the state...around Bennington. and there is free camping down there at the reservoir

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Bradford works for me. Wife's mom lives in Lewis Run. GaryL
There are a ton of dirt roads and small paved roads right here locally and the trail out by Willow Bay also. Can ride on most of the forest roads around here too! That's why I bought the TW. I want to ride where I did over 40 years ago!

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a map of the Marienville Trails. I'm embarrassed to say that I have never ridden them.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5052724.pdf
Wow SHAG, that looks very promising. Would you be kind enough to do some research and get back to us. It will be great to know the trail conditions. I am sure some of us would love highly technical and difficult trails but I think most would like to stay on trails that are a bit more tame. This place might list the difficulty of each trail and nothing says we all have to ride the same loops.

We will need info on camping and if they have cabins or a large bunk house and all sorts of other info. We have plenty of time so there is no rush.

Look at it like there could be 30 guys trailering their bikes from as far as 500 miles for a weekend. Where to sleep, where to eat, trail difficulty and lengths. It would also be good to know if an ATV like my Polaris RZR could also be used as a chase vehicle to carry extra fuel, water and some emergency tools and stuff.

Don't mean to put you on the spot and when the weather gets better me and a couple others could come out to give it a good check over with you.

I am also sure there are good places in Vermont and NH that might be closer for some but it will take other members to get involved and get the details.

I can't say this for sure but to the best of my knowledge NY, NJ, MA and CT are not very friendly to ORVs. Around here where I live there are thousands of acres that would be great for what we want to do but I have to do some research on my end to get the permissions.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm currently in NM, but we have had a couple of get togethers at Pachaug
1st ever New England "Herd of Turtles Rally"

Free riding open to all street legal bikes. Have to pay for camping until Columbus day.

pachaug forest in ct

Had a good ride on Sunday at this fall's camp and ride as well, but only Tdub, Mrs Trip, and I could make it.
Official 2013 Pachaug Halloween Camp-n-Ride (Nov 1 - 3) - ADVrider

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
This too looks promising Rhodetrip. See what you can learn and thank you from all of us.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
We will need info on camping and if they have cabins or a large bunk house and all sorts of other info. We have plenty of time so there is no rush. GaryL
Marienville has some mom & pop motels along with food, gas and camping. It's an hour South of Bradford. I guess the reason I never rode those trails was because of the fee and owning big fat BMW GS's. There are so many dirt roads around here that you can ride on anytime anyway.

There are a lot of other options around here. KOA in Marshburg, Allegany State Park cabins and camping. Also a cheap Econolodge right in South Bradford close to food and gas.

Lets see what the interest is in this area and go from there...

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marienville has some mom & pop motels along with food, gas and camping. It's an hour South of Bradford. I guess the reason I never rode those trails was because of the fee and owning big fat BMW GS's. There are so many dirt roads around here that you can ride on anytime anyway.

There are a lot of other options around here. KOA in Marshburg, Allegany State Park cabins and camping. Also a cheap Econolodge right in South Bradford close to food and gas.

Lets see what the interest is in this area and go from there...
Agree on the waiting part. I am kind of partial to the camping/bunk house idea just because after the ride we can hang together and get to know one another by a camp fire. I have done these rides before and if we do motels then most guys go their separate ways after the day ride. Lots of time to figure this stuff out.

GaryL

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with the camping. Sounds like a more relaxed atmosphere than hotel/motel. I am partial to exploring the Allegheny national forest because it is a reasonable travel distance but I'm not sure if someone from Maine would agree?!! Any idea of dates? I would suggest September, what about others?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I'm currently in NM, but we have had a couple of get togethers at Pachaug
1st ever New England "Herd of Turtles Rally"

Free riding open to all street legal bikes. Have to pay for camping until Columbus day.

pachaug forest in ct

Had a good ride on Sunday at this fall's camp and ride as well, but only Tdub, Mrs Trip, and I could make it.
Official 2013 Pachaug Halloween Camp-n-Ride (Nov 1 - 3) - ADVrider

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
+1...

Pachaug has a 58 mile motorcycle trail that is open year round (except for mud season). The trail traverses through both wooded areas and public roads.
Motorcycles are required to ride either on the designated motorcycle trail or on roads that are open to passenger vehicle use. They are not allowed on hiking trails or any other section of a multiple use trail that is not part of the designated motorcycle trail.
The trail is marked by small red arrows attached to trees at turns and intersections.
For motorcyclists to use the trail, they must have a current motorcycle license and the motorcycle must have a current motor vehicle registration. An A.T.V. registration is not a valid type of registration to operate on our trail.​

forest info... DEEP: Pachaug State Forest, Chapman Area

motorcycle trail map... http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/stateparks/maps/pachaugenduro.pdf

1 - 20 of 135 Posts