TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you midwestern Tdubbers. Figured i'd follow suit and see what kind of interest there is in a TW rally for Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Dakotas, Nebraska and Illinois...maybe even north Missouri? You can come from anywhere for all I care!

I initially thought the second weekend in September would be ideal with the cool temperatures and possible Fall colors. I'm definitely open to suggestions though. As far as a location is concerned I was thinking about Whitewater State Park in SE Minnesota. Lots of gravel roads and even flyfishing. There's several nice campgrounds and beautiful scenery. Again, open to suggestions.

This would be a great opportunity to meet our forum buddies, enjoy some campfire stories, talk shop and RIDE!

If enough people express interest, I'll start working out details (e.g. area trail maps, campground rates, etc...)
Please share your thoughts on date and location, in addition to activities or events we could include.

What say you?

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
This would be a cool place. I use to fish the Whitewater River when I was a kid and remember the town of Elba, which was flooded often. Tons of good ole' back roads. Hope this works out for you all!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Count me in.
The 2nd weekend in September works for me. I am flexible so don't hesitate if other dates are favorable.
The Whitewater area is nice. Never been there on the T-Dub, but looking forward to it.

I read your post about the T.W.A.T. ride across Wisconsin. Part of that sounds like fun too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know the upper midwest is in a deep freeze, and if you are like me, you want to ride so bad you can taste it. It will get better.

That said , who will join us for the Russ Rally North Central?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm seriously considering it and have been checking maps and routes. I'd be driving from northern Michigan so the shortest route is through the U.P. and across from Greenbay. I think that would be a nice 600 mile roadtrip. I hate going around the lake the other way, through Chicago. Could take the ferry across the lake to Manitowoc too. Never done that. I guess you can count me in. I've never been to the Whitewater area and it sounds like a good place to see...and hang out with some new people :).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Calling all MN-Dubs and anyone looking for fun. How about some Minnesota Nice, and riding, stories, camping...

Okay I could have just said 'bump', but we are going to have fun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would like to make it to this rally. My schedule depends on many factors so I will put it on the calendar and hope it works out. Looks like a good spot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, four people so far...not sure we can call that a "rally". Come on people..
Theres gotta be more midwestern folks out there!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Born and (mostly) raised in Duluth, MN, I now reside in Lincoln, NE. The uncertainty of actually attending any sort of meet rests entirely on the fact that I am a poor college student with little time and even less money. Whatever happens, and wherever it takes place, I am with you all in teedubbing spirit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tirebiter, I haven't been a T-Dubber a week and yet and I'm ready for a rally. You mentioned coming down to the ferry at Ludington and going across that way. Cool idea. I would have to go up to Ludington to achieve that, to avoid Chicago (See attached maps). A bit shorter and more direct for me to just go around Chicago (425 mi.). It would be cool to take the ferry,though. ... In any event, I am considering this, schedule pending and it will be here before we know it. I'll follow the post for updates/info... 49085-LUDINGTON.JPG MANITOWOC-WHITEWATER.JPG WHITWATER-MINN-HIGHWAY.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
My other ride for the longer trips is seen sitting at Lake Michigan a month ago: 2007 Shadow Spirit 750. Memphis shades Demon windshield, River Road bags, Cobra rack and pad, Pirelli MT66's love 'em, 38 Tooth rear sprocket (was 41). 55+ mpg, X-Ring chain. She gets about 6,000 miles/year on her. With this bike I guess I subscribe to the same notion as with my TW; Why have more weight/power/size than you need? She did just fine on 4 days, 1700 miles to Appalachia/Shenandoah and back. You'll hear that you need a 1500, 1600, 1700+cc... Baloney. Been there with a 800+ pound 1999 Roadstar 1600 Silverado. Not my style anymore. IMG_20140329_195406.jpg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum TrailTodd. Good to see another Michigander.:)

Yeah, the ferry across the lake was a thought since I've never done it but I don't know anything about it...schedules, cost, & such... Since I've been retired I live from late April to December in NW Mich so it would be a possible option for me instead of driving around Lake Michigan. The only problem I have is I'm committed to going to the Streetrod Nats in Kalamazoo Sept 12-14. A bunch of us oldtimers have been hanging out together telling lies & stuff there for years. Some have passed on as we're getting older and I can't miss that, so if the Russ Rally NC dates conflict I'll have to pass.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, sounds like Russ Rally NC is picking up a little steam.
We've got Grizzlygpa, RocNE, Dubzha, 50short (me) in the mix as "count me in.
Leben and Tirebiter as maybes. Still not sure we can call it a rally, but in TW land 4 people is damned near a gang...
I hope we can pull this together as i'd like to meet you fellas. Keep me posted on interest levels and I'll try to fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Giving this a bump to see if we can pick up some new forum members, or those who decided that Minnesota is a great place.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just came back from Minnesota a week ago. Definitely a great place. I have it on the calendar and plan on making it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts