TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're back from the ride, tired and sore, but with great memories. Speaking for myself, I thought of Russ quite a few times on this ride. May have only been 6 phyiscally present, but it felt like the whole TW200 gang was along. I get sentimental sometimes. :)

I was worried when I set the date of this, but had to make sure the snow was gone in the high elevations and before the fire season. The fire season did start all over the northwest prior to our ride, but thankfully the fire gods lets us ride!

So you don't have to try and figure out who is who, I'll start out and introduce us.

Ron (Roninboise). I've rode with Ron a few times over the past couple years. Fun to ride with:)

Bob ([email protected]) Bob hadn't mentioned coming not knowing if he could make it or not. It was great he did.

Bill and Arleen. I did spell it right didn't I Arleen? :p(BillPacific and ArleenPacific). Unforseen circumstances prohibited Bill
from brining his TW, but said he would come, and by gosh he did!

Bills TW for this gathering:eek:. Bill and Arleen couldn't stay but a day, but I'm sure glad they came no
matter how long it was.

Us, Kris & Lori (Admiral and MrsAdmiral)

Almost forgot, Scamper (Ron's puppy and moose by our camp spotter)

and of course Georgie

more to come

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More, more, more please. I want to see if Scamper retrieved the moose.
The moose had a slight advantage in size otherwise I'm sure Scamper would have drug the moose on in too camp:D.
(These are Ron's picture's of the moose at camp)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey Admiral, thanks for the free sticker publicity ! Looks like you all had a good time, especially the dogs.

Will

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 1 Thursday

Pre-Report note. I'm disgusted with my video camera. I had 3 great days worth of video, however, the video robbers would rob me of Days 1, 2, and part of days 3 video. I got the second half of day 3. You won't be able to tell, but there is a lot of good stuff to show you, that is left only to our memories. Hopefully the photo's will suffice! This is the second time my video camera has failed to record! Aargh!

In order to maybe get an extra day of riding and scouting the local trails/roads, we headed up Wednesday after work arriving at camp around 11:00 p.m. We were tired! Camp was already occupied, so we hit the day for the night nearby. As luck would have it, all the campers left the area so we took it over! (Feeling like a campground Pirate Admiral:p)

Decided to scout out some areas along the Crooked River up near Orogrande. Rode up FS311 for a bit
and took a loop detour on an unnamed mine road which would bring us back down to Orogrande.

It was a bit chilly today (high 60's). We stopped at Old Orogrande, jct of 311/233 to sun ourselves and grab
a geocache.

I think this is the old Boarding/Hotel building in Old Orogrande.

Heading back to camp (slowly) we head up trail 807 near Five Mile Camp. It's an ATV trail now and is
very steep in places. My 55T rear sprocket did the job though I did bog down slightly in one very very
steep section.

With all the mining history of the area, I was hoping to find an old mine with some stuff to look at.
Bingo, we found one!! This appeared to be a mechanics/storage shed near the shaft enterence

Door was chained and locked, but I was able to squeeze the camera in for this shot

I love it when we find the old ore cart tracks

I'm in mine find heaven

Now, I won't go in an old mine cause of the danger, and this is a good reason why. Caved in just inside
the entrance

1 of 2 cabins at the mine. Looks like they had electricity. Most likely with a generator I suppose

Been a while since last occupied

Second cabin is directly behind the first one

All the comforts of home eh?

One last photo for the day while on top of the ridge before heading back to camp

When we get back, Bob and Ron will have both arrived. We chit chat around the campfire for a while, and
with all of us a bit tired, we bed down for the night.

More to come

·
Registered
445 Posts
We're back from the ride, tired and sore, but with great memories. Speaking for myself, I thought of Russ quite a few times on this ride. May have only been 6 phyiscally present, but it felt like the whole TW200 gang was along. I get sentimental sometimes. :)
I'm sure that Russ was there in spirit and as for the rest of us took a moment to think about you guys on your gathering. Thank you for honoring him. He thought highly of you guys.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ELK CITY RUSS RALLY
This was a fun event to participate in. I looked forward to it since it was first announced.

It went off so well because of the pre-planning by the Admiral and Mrs.Admiral. They had identified a great camp site; also many miles of interesting,scenic riding. Their consciousness of the Historic significates of this area added to the enjoyment. How the Admiral managed to find probably the only mosquito-free camp in this part of Idaho is a trick in itself.

Mrs. Admiral is a highly skilled ATV rider and she wore me out on both days of our adventures. Her ever present smile on rides was the stimulus we needed to keep on trucking.

I think I will always remember how my little dog, Scamper saved all our lives by warding off the wild woodland beasts. The day I arrived at the camp, ( I might note that the GPS coordinates that the Admiral provided got me within .1 miles of the exact location) I pulled up a chair by the common area and kicked back. I could see a nice dredge pond right next to our area. As I admired the surroundings, I began to visualize a critter face in the woods by the pond. I scooted back to my rig and grabbed my camera. I barely got reseated when the face materialized into a female real live moose. By staying in the shadows I was able to get several good photos of the natural drama taking place in front of me. Soon Scamper came over and peeked through the foliage. Right away he determined that that creature out there eating pond grass was something new in his life. He barked his displeasure at the intrusion into our serene surroundings.The moose was not quick to take offense. Eventually it made its way to shore and actually started walking in our general direction. Every time the moose would take a step, Scamper would take a step too (backward) and give another warning bark. I am sure that the moose was so intimidated by my (17 pound) dog’s challenge that it decided to wander off into the woods.

That was good because I don’t think Scamper could have eaten the moose in one setting. The moose must have been a curious sort because in the next couple of days, the moose came back to check us out but again, Scamper saved the day. As a side note, a white tailed deer came down to the pond three times and all it took was one bark to send it to flight. Apparently word must have gotten around the woods that our camp harbored a serious defender.

Georgie and Scamper got along really well for their first meeting. I am an early riser so each morning I would get Georgie and Scamper together and throw the tennis ball for them. It was fun watching the two of them racing each other for possession of the ball. At the end of each session, they would set like the obedient fuzzy kids they are and receive a doggy treat for their efforts.

We did not forget that this gathering was to commemorate and remember a friend that we all lost. Russ’ willingness to share his experience with the rest of us on the forum was invaluable to me in my quest to be the master of my machine; now that is really delusional on my part. When I research a particular technical topic on the forum, it is comforting to find that what Russ contributed on the topic of interest was spot on.

I had a great time, so did Scamper(THE MOOSE HOUND). I met some new TW kids and had a great adventure.

Happy Trails All
Ron in Boise

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Mrs. Admiral? I thought it was some famous fashion super-model you had specially flown in.
You two tell some mighty fine stories, I imagine we all missed a few good ones sitting around campfire with the group there. Looking forward to more, and here is to hoping The Pirate Admiral can find some missing clips in a video file somewhere because everything looks fantastic so far.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep, LittleTommy, Lori looks/sounds like a keeper to me too. Take good care of her Admiral.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Admiral, thanks for the free sticker publicity ! Looks like you all had a good time, especially the dogs.

Will
Yeah, I forgot to mention that and give you credit for helping out for the ralley. Folks, these really are good stickers, just ask me or joemma I think, which put them on his gas tank. If you need 'em, contact williamemack!

Will, I'm also gonna use the ones you sent me for another Lizrdbrth tribute deal I thought of, so stay tuned!

Also want to give thanks to joeband for his stickers, which some will also be used for what I've mentioned above!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Normally, my wife doesn't care to read stuff here on the forum. I showed her the nice comments you all made. She is humbled! She's avoided most of my riding buddies and doesn't like to camp and ride with others much, but after this past weekend, she even mentioned doing a group ride like this in the future. I never thought she'd go for this kind of thing, so maybe I'll organize something like this again.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Hi Lori! ;) You are some kind of gal to put up with that "Admiral"! We give you a lot of credit for that! He's got it far too easy, so you better "lower the boom on him, once in a while" and keep him in line! Keep smiling! You are an inspiration!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 2 Friday

Well, I really have to finish up day 1 first.

As I mentioned in my last post, when we get back, Bob and Ron had both arrived. Soon as we parked the machines and sat down, Ron couldn't wait to show us some photo's he took around camp. Apparently, we had a visitor. A big visitor. We would later learn from someone who was camped here previously that the Moose is a frequent visitor, sometimes walking right through camp. Didn't walk through while we were here, but I believe Scamper and Ron spotted the moose a couple other times during our stay.

Ron and I generally were the first to wake up in the morning. If we weren't here to ride, I think my wife would sleep till noon everyday. She likes her sleep. Anyway, after I woke up, Georgie and I went for a little morning stroll. Here is a photo from one of the many left over dredge mining ponds.

Today is going to be a good day for riding. Just as soon as my wife wakes up! Giggle

On our scouting trip up here, one of the places we had heard of was riding to the Buffalo Hump mining area corridor within the Gospel Hump Wilderness area. One local mentioned what a nice ride it would be up to the Orogrande Summit, but advised me not to go beyond as the rough was rough and one section was named "Devil's Staircase". Wife and I were up to riding the rough road, but not knowing who would show up for the ride and their skill level, we kind of crossed this off the list. Well, with only 4 of us riding, I brought the idea up to Ron and Bob. They were in, so off we went.

Our first stop of the day was the small mining mill site of Gnome

Wife and Ron

Me, Ron and Bob

After all these years there is still some standing structure's.

At Old Orogrande the road wye's, with Buffalo Hump road to the right.

We've been duly warned!

The road up to Orogrande Summit was a well graded easy going forest service road. Since we got a late start, we decide to
take a side trip to Wildhorse Lake for a lakeside lunch.

After lunch we head back to Orogrande Summit to make a final decsion whether to proceed to Buffalo Hump.
On the way to the summit, we get what I think is the first view of why it's named "Buffalo Hump"
Head on right, shoulder hump in center, rump on left. I can see it, can you?

Again, we've been warned, but no stopping us now!

The road does in fact get a little rough as we decsend into the Lake Creek drainage

Taking a short break at the first bridge (Kelly Creek)

Short while later we ride into and take another break at the Lake Creek Bridge

and of course, Lori and I gotta grab all the geocache's we come too!

Day 2 to be continued

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Lori! ;) You are some kind of gal to put up with that "Admiral"! We give you a lot of credit for that! He's got it far too easy, so you better "lower the boom on him, once in a while" and keep him in line! Keep smiling! You are an inspiration!
Oh, she keeps me in line alright. I don't get away with nothin!:p

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Admiral, two family questions.
1: final outcome on your sons shoulder?
2: did any 4-wheelers show up for alternate rides with the Mrs. - or did she ride with you guys?
Nice to have her, quad, and tow strap along if someone goes over the edge - literally, not mentally
(if the latter though, guess you could tie him up with the tow strap and throw him across the back of the 4-wheeler to get him home)
#3's shoulder is healing well, and without surgery. It better. He's going off to basic training in October!

Wife is only ATV and she rode everywhere we did. Don't want to give to much away before I get there, but I wish my video camera didn't crap out on me or you would see her (with a little help from me) go over the "Devils Staircase". I'm gonna post some photo's and video's from other people of this part of the Hump Road.

Oops! We left the tow strap back at camp. Good thing we didn't need it!

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Your beautifull pictures and captions tell a very inviting and pleasing story. My blood pressure just went down ten points from reading it. thanks.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm also loving the beautiful pictures, storyline, and history! Wish I could've been there. I especially like the pic of the small lake with morning mists and reflection of the trees. Thanks for taking us along, I'm looking forward to the rest.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Day 2 Continued

After departing Lake Creek, we started to climb towards the Hump. This is not my photo, but taken off the web from a section of the hump road. This is a fair sample of what we rode...continuously! I think Ron and Bob would agree!

Near the above photo, full of sweat from our arms bodies having to work so hard riding over the rocks, we take another well deserved break.

Just so happens it was at another geocache:p

Decisons have to be made.:confused:

I cannot put into words how awefully rough this road has been. It's only 6 miles from the nice Orogrande Summit too Buffalo Hump, but it feels like we've ridden 850 miles. We are hot, sweaty, tired and the darn mosquitoes are eating me an Ron alive at every stop.

We only have about a mile or less to go. Can we make it. I have the will. We think we've ridden past "Devil's Slide" so we should be ok. Bob looks uphill at the road and makes a comment about how steep it looks. Thinking everyone may not want to endanger their lives, I ask if anyone wants to continue. Ron say's his arms are about through and Bob has concerns with the steepness of the road along with all that rock. My wife says she's ok to continue. I ask Ron and Bob if it's alright for Lori and I keep going and they can wait here for us.

They are ok with that. Lori and I thought we'd be gone for 1/2 hour or so and will meet them back here. I did mention to Ron and Bob that if we weren't back in a timely manner, it was ok for them to head back.

So with everthing figured out, Lori and I continue on! By the way, the TW's and ATV are running great.

We weren't gone more than 2 minutes when we rounded a switchback corner and what did we see:eek:

Yep, you guessed it! DEVIL'S STAIRCASE. Oh my goodness gracious! I hope this works out. We were close enough to Ron and Bob that I think they could here us going through this section. Lori did fine with the ATV, but I stalled the TW in one part and it fell over underneath me. I was still standing. Once I got going and closed my eyes, I rode up without incident:p

If only my video camera was working. I thought it was and recorded going up and down this section only to discover when I got home from the trip, it didn't. Again, this photo is taken from the web and not mine, but this is the "Devil's Staircase".

And here is someone eles's video of the road from Old Orogrande up to the Hump. Devil's Staircase is about 7:55.

Now, just because the road is so rough doesn't mean it ain't pretty on the way up

I really wish my wife would wear a helmet, but she say's she don't want to mess up her hair:D

Relief at last. We made it to the top. Much easier riding now. Very expensive homes up here. These are at Hump Lake

We meet a retired forest service worker. He asks us if we been down to Jump Camp. We said no, this is as far as we're going. He tells us if we came all the way up here on that rough road, we should at least spend a little time up here and ride around. We figured when we haven't shown up for a while, Ron and Bob would head back to camp.

We ride on!

Here is the Concord Airstrip zoomed way in taken from Hump Lake area.

Later we ride past the airstrip down towards Jump Camp. Lots more cabins down here than we thought there would be. This is a very remote hard to get to place in Idaho!

and some look to be very awesome and very expensive

We ride past the St. Louis mine area, but decide not to ride the rest of the way to Jump Camp. We think it's about a mile ahead.

We do grab another cache just off the trail though!

After turning around, I catch a glimps of Oregon Butte Lookout. You can't drive to this one and must hike or helicopter in

The airstrip is private and blocked off from entering, but here is a building along side the airstrip. I believe the old mine town of Concord sits right next to the airstrip.
Maybe this is a Concord building.

I think the ride back down the road and Devil's Staircase was easier than coming in and we made good time getting back. As expected, Ron and Bob had
indeeded headed back on their own, not wanting to be eaten alive by the mosquitoes at the spot we departed.

As they rode back, they would wait for us at the bridges, but finally realized we were a good ways behind them. Here is Ron (and Scamper) resting at camp after a hard day of riding. Actually, Scamper stayed back at camp and was really rested!:p

and after a short time of sitting in camp, we saw someone approaching our camp on foot. As this guy gets closer, he asks if this is the TW camp. Well, it turns out it was BillPacific from the forum and his wife Arleen. They came all the way from Ogden, Utah. Bill had previously said he was coming and we felt bad when he hadn't showed up by the time we got back. He had a towing vehicle the trailer/TW issue he couldn't avoid and was unable to bring it. But Bill is a man of his word. He said he would come and by golly he came. We were only able to spend a short time with him. He and his wife are good folk and I hope to meet them on a ride sometime in the future.

Here's the full group minus me

End of day 2. Will continue on Day 3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts