TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out tomorrow to take a look at a 35ft fifthwheel with 4 slideouts. I am planning on chasing the sun, at least that is on my bucket list. With my gkids on the otherside of the nation would be fun to meander across the nation stopping here and there to ride with local TW riders. I figure this to be enough to feel at home anywhere I put the jacks down.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip and the right toy hauler for it. Chasing the sun from where you are should be in either a south or easterly direction but when you plan to make this trip will be the key. I have often thought about doing another cross country slow ride but I really do want to do the north route across the top of the US and that takes perfect timing and planning to hit the weather right. From Washington straight across to NY this time of year would be a disaster in the making. I have done the southern routes a couple times already but have to get up north to see Montana, Wyoming and Idaho which are all on the bucket list.

Keep us posted Plumb.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just don't get it so big that you are reluctant to move it around as planned. Do get it big enough to carry the toys (bike, fishing stuff and ??). I have the TW analog in RVs. A 22 ft MB sprinter van - I call it the fed ex truck with a bathroom, but it carries the spouse and me, the pedal bikes, or the TW with comfort. The joy is you can drive it anywhere, move often, use it as excuse to leave stuff at home, and when needed park it outside an AirBNB and enjoy the change of perspective. Notice I didn't say it was much cheaper than something much bigger . . . and you do have to like the person you are traveling with because you are in close contact. Good luck with the search and selection.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have a 37 foot 5th wheel with 4 slides. My family loves the living space during extended trips. You won't get more living space in any type of RV. It does add time on moving day to do the "shell in" and "shell out" (we think of our trailer as a desert tortoise). I think 5th wheels are great for those that want to stay and enjoy an area for a bit before moving on. There is something to be said about not feeling cramped when living in a trailer for weeks or months at a time. Motorhomes are more convenient for getting from point A to point B quicker. Speed is never on my mind while towing though.

I've had our trailer in some beautiful boondocking areas with TW trails as far as the eye can see in every direction. My trailer is not a toy hauler, but I am planning to purchase a "Ultimate MX Hauler" to hitch my TW up to the front hitch on my truck.

My one word of caution would be to make sure you have enough truck to handle the payload of the trailer. Stay comfortably under all of your weight and tow limits. Also, set the cruise control between 60-63 and enjoy the scenery ... never be in a hurry when towing a big trailer.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
We have a 37 foot 5th wheel with 4 slides. My family loves the living space during extended trips. You won't get more living space in any type of RV. It does add time on moving day to do the "shell in" and "shell out" (we think of our trailer as a desert tortoise). I think 5th wheels are great for those that want to stay and enjoy an area for a bit before moving on. There is something to be said about not feeling cramped when living in a trailer for weeks or months at a time. Motorhomes are more convenient for getting from point A to point B quicker. Speed is never on my mind while towing though.

I've had our trailer in some beautiful boondocking areas with TW trails as far as the eye can see in every direction. My trailer is not a toy hauler, but I am planning to purchase a "Ultimate MX Hauler" to hitch my TW up to the front hitch on my truck.

My one word of caution would be to make sure you have enough truck to handle the payload of the trailer. Stay comfortably under all of your weight and tow limits. Also, set the cruise control between 60-63 and enjoy the scenery ... never be in a hurry when towing a big trailer.
I have to agree with all of your advice. The 5th wheel seems like a perfect match to go with a TW. No rushing and just cruise along enjoying the scenery and remembering it is not the destination but the ride. Also totally agree that more truck and more power is always the best combination when towing a trailer. Set up and brake down time is always a PITA so better to land in a spot and hang for a few days just relaxing. Mother in law has a fairly compact Coleman motor home built on an F-450 chasis I think is 28 feet with a small tip out that is nice for about a week. They made a major mistake by going with the smaller engine and have always wished they went for the diesel because the truck can't get out of it's own way. It is however much better for the hit and run stop and go traveling they do and only takes about a half hour to set up and brake down. I highly prefer the idea of having a vehicle to drive after the trailer is dumped and set up.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Hope it suits you Randall. Since you will be living out of it the size becomes reasonable even if it occasionally limits places you can take it. A purchased RV trailer should be much lighter and a bit classier than the one you planned to build yourself . Even though the commercial model will have some compromises you have the skills to fix things to your liking. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Get some solar panels on it and you will need very little generator run time if any. Check out Handy Bobs blog everything you ever need to know about RV solar and batteries. 4-130 watt panels and 400 amps at 12v of 6v deep cycle cells. And a big inverter to run your microwave, TV, etc.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com

Come down here. We can do some trips together. dirtluvers retired now.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey Fred if you got the toy hauler. You could come down to warmer spots in the winter. I have found some great dry camping spots that are primitive and accessible by my rig. Then you use that for more remote trips camping from the bike like you like to do. That upholstery can be covered just saying. LOL. PS then your bed warmer will come with.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Get some solar panels on it and you will need very little generator run time if any. Check out Handy Bobs blog everything you ever need to know about RV solar and batteries. 4-130 watt panels and 400 amps at 12v of 6v deep cycle cells. And a big inverter to run your microwave, TV, etc.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com

Come down here. We can do some trips together. dirtluvers retired now.
yup...Handy Bob is great and with a cool attitude

·
Registered
435 Posts
Solar is the best upgrade you can do to a RV, well worth the $ and a easy install, best$ I ever spent on my TC. If I kept the TH i'd be installing it for sure.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was a good run, but you don't always get the true scoop from the seller, left it where it sat. Am still looking. Hope to find something in the 30ft range with a slideout or two. There are some nice ones out there, but I do not want a bunkhouse. Those extra beds that are stacked is a waste of space for me. One bed and storage is what I am looking for and a bumper pull if possible. Would like to keep the truck bed empty for toys and firewood.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Now is a great time to be looking for a trailer! Will give you the winter to get it ready. Me and the GF started looking at trailers early this year. After a soggy camping trip on the coast we decided we were just getting to old for tent camping. We really wanted to keep our camping experience as close as possible to real camping and not Glamping. There are some really nice but huge trailers out there. I personally didn't want to tow (and store a monster). We found a R-pod. Think tiny.....lol. But hey, its got a short queen bed, 2 burner propane stove, 3 way frig, sink and toilet in shower. We can easily tow it (2500 lbs) with my 99 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel. The best part is being to get it in tight areas. (Fred's easy red lake ride). Being able to unhook and go exploring with the truck is great. It sounds like your looking for something bigger and I'm sure you'll find whats right for you. Hope to see you and your new to u rig at a Tw group ride soon!

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
RV Trader lists Texas, followed by California, as having the most listed RVs for sale. A little more traveling might be needed to find the perfect rig.
If you’re going to be living out of it you might miss having a shop/storage/work area. Toy haulers are big compromises but do give you a man cave 2003 Weekend Warrior FS3000 59f24858055cfe769a0aec45.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts