TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
I thought of you when I saw the news about Wellington pilot's crash. A terrible tragedy, what a shock. My condolences. Sounds selfish but I am glad it wasn't you.

Reactions: rurlndum

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Funny, in a sad way, I never feel safe in a plane...even though I have flow hundreds of times, including over the Jungles of Vietnam in a C-130 and C-17, and rode shotgun on Helo Transports as a volunteer over Nha Trang in 1969...just never was comfortable, not really afraid, just not comfortable. Meanwhile I have thought nothing about jumping on a much more dangerous form of transportation, a Motorcycle, even with 2 nasty wrecks with injuries...

Not trying to hijack the tread...but just a personal view...may the pilot and your friend rest in peace, and God bless his family. :(

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sorry to hear this. There are so many things that can go wrong up there. When I see a small plane like this one I wonder what failed or was flying low and hit a downdraft. Like some of you I too did many hours in a helicopter in the jungles of VN and I have a plane today that I get up in when the sky is inviting. The laws of physics apply and you have to obey them to the limit, just as we have to with our bikes. The consequences can be bad. Just feel bad for all that knew him, especially his family.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My condolences to you, and his family and other friends. At least he was doing something he loved. Doesn't make it any easier for the ones left behind, though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a good friend whom I love like a brother too, and he flys 2-3 days a week. I have trouble with this but he is blessed to be able to do what he loves, I enjoy our friendship as much as I can and always try to be ready to let him go.
No matter what I do to brace myself I know that it will hurt deep. Thanks for sharing with us Rulindum!
Jimbo

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers for his family. My6 and I have just started learning to fly. Flying, riding, driving...you never know when it'll be your last time. Really sorry to hear this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you all for your kind condolences.

If you are in motion you are at risk. It doesn't matter if you are on your horse or your mule or your tractor or your motorcycle or if you're flying. If you're not sitting on the couch munching on Fritos you might be engaged in an activity that puts you at some sort of risk.

My point is: Be safe.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thank you all for your kind condolences.

If you are in motion you are at risk. It doesn't matter if you are on your horse or your mule or your tractor or your motorcycle or if you're flying. If you're not sitting on the couch munching on Fritos you might be engaged in an activity that puts you at some sort of risk.

My point is: Be safe.
More folks die on their couch or in bed than those out getting some excersize enjoying life. Like one man said many years ago, is better to live one day as a lion than a several years a sheep.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
no matter what we do there is associated risk, even sitting on the couch. just by the nature of life, there's always a known end waiting for us all, just a question of when.
mitigating the risks, while balancing it with enjoying life and activities is very different for everyone.

i'm sure your friend couldn't imagine life with out flying anymore than one of us could without some activity we do, be that our tdub or something else.

condolences to you and his family and friends.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first flight instructor also died in a crash, very unfortunately with a student. Mechanical failure that resulted in loss of control :(

My condolences for your loss.

·
Registered
765 Posts
As we all know, if there is something we love to do then we are willing to accept the risks. I love aviation as well and I'm sure he died doing what he loved. I'm sorry to hear the news, prayers on the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts