TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took guard dogs to dentist with me this morning. Coming home encountered coyote with one of my cats in his mouth. Just finished internment. Problem is I got cat from a young boy who rescued him from snowy streets but then discovered he was allergic to cats. Boy was so attached and so proud to have saved a life. Now what do I tell the boy? I do not look forward to explaining death.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm sorry Fred. I think the easiest thing to do for you and the boy would be to say that it passed on due to old age and you buried it. A domesticated animal vs a wild animal is a hard thing to see. The coyote was doing what it is supposed to do. Sucks it wasn't against another wild animal but such is life. Things aren't fair and we go on. Sorry for both you and the boy's loss. You both did a good thing for that cat and that is all that matters now.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I was unarmed. Coyote ran away after dropping poor Arthur.
Previously my live and let live attitude had me only shooting to scare coyotes away but now dark vengeance fills my heart. Coyote will be back, long guns will be chambered and ready at the door. No warning shots next time.
Sorry to burden readers with my grief, this is a sad counterpoint to yesterday's viral video of cat saving boy from dog attack. It is just that I have no children so am unsure how to deal with the little guy who entrusted me with his King Arthur. He is about 13 now but has special needs, has only single mother and am unsure if I should take cowards way out and let his mother explain loss. This is going to ruin his day.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Well that stinks.. i know how you feel. We have chickens and one windy day I heard them making alarm noises and I looked outside and they were just walking around the yard so I didnt think much of it. Well I went outside to get the kiddo out of the car and I seen our big rooster shredded across the yard. My boy called him "mean daddy chicken" because he would attack my boy, my mother, dogs and hawks if they would chase our female chickens. I had a 17hmr just inside the door so I ran in and grabbed it and no sooner than I got out the door a fox was chasing a hen across our yard and he almost had her so I took 2 quick shots at him while he was running. I was out of ammo so I went back in the house and grabbed the next closest thing which was my camo'd ar15 and ran back out. Either him or another came running out of the woods chasing a hen. I took a shot at him and thought I clipped him but he was never found. Small critters are hard to hit while running. Needless to say next time they wont be so lucky. Now I keep the 12ga out with the turkey choke and high brass 3" #4 turkey load in it. Running target s will now be in serious doo doo. Including the crow who just snatched up two baby chickens this week one each day. I have a good ol fix for him coming. I hunt mostly deer and I didnt shoot foxes in the past because they are beautiful animals but that changes when they kill 9 chickens in about 5 minutes. I let them pass me twice during bow season. That wont happen anymore. They will get the same treatment the coyote recieved "an arrow to the head". Hopefully you will get your chance at him again.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am past the second anger stage of grieving now, working through guilt and on to just sad acceptance and strategies to prevent coyote from getting two remaining cats. Boy's mother will soften news as PalmStateCrawler suggested. Life will go on. Dogs will be outside when cats are out.Rifles will gather dust at doorside and I will as always be unprepared next time I see Mr. Coyote or his cousins. Never have more than a few seconds to react anyways. They are just following nature's way as we encroach on their historical habitats. Unfortunately my wife remains in tears as she tries to bravely prepare for her friends wedding saturday.
Fortune has not smiled upon us this day.
Thank you all for your good advice and words of sympathy. Now go embrace life , enjoy what you have,live and love to the fullest. Please go have a save ride on your TruustyWagons.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you for your kind words Karl.
Not surprised to hear Indiana has big coyote populations since they do so well co-existing and profiting from us. Navajos have old nickname of "Trickster" for coyotes, rightly named in my opinion. Clever, sly, and opportunistic; I cannot blame them for looking for an easy meal here. Well watered non-native plants and other edibles attract many deer, birds, rabbits, squirrels etc from the surrounding relatively barren hills so it is only logical that the few remaining predators follow their prey here. In town I would probably have lost an equal number of pets to Buicks and city buses by now. Still not fun despite rationalizations.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck Fred.Hopefully the poor cat died quickly. Coyotes are an invasive species here in Nova Scotia and have been proven to have wolf DNA. They are a much larger,more cunning and dangerous creature and probably the most efficient predator we have in our forests and urban areas. There has already been one human death here attributed to them. They have really thrown the natural balance of nature here out of norm. Deer,young moose,rabbits,cats,dogs etc. If they can make a meal out of it they will. The friggan things will even eat each other. I snared one once and by the time I checked the snare all that was left was bones and even they didn't last long.
As far as I am concerned "the only good coyote is a dead coyote" period.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Sorry Fred, I can't keep cats here either unless they are imprisoned in the house only.

as for the boy, life is full of painful losses but a boy needs to learn how to handle this kind of stuff. What's wrong with telling him the truth? I would not lie about a natural event that I had no control over.

As far as Coyotes go, I have no use for them. I get all the stuff about they need to eat and raise their families too but they have no respect for any animal they can catch and do more harm than good. I see my deer show up with two fawns in the spring and in just a few days there are no fawns left. No one ever eats Coyote but coyotes eat all the game meat I would hunt for and eat. They compete with me so they have to lose the battle.

GaryL

·
Registered
385 Posts
Fred, I'm sorry for your loss. If you are getting rid of coyote's because they are running the place over, judicious aim and a firm squeeze are in order. But don't do it merely for the loss of Arthur.

Regarding your neighbor; life is tough sometimes. And even when they do things like rescuing Arthur, even that is not forever. The both of you gave Arthur a longer and happier life. Children are stronger than we give them credit for. Maybe if you get a chance to talk with his Mom, ask how she'd like you to handle it. Tell him how much it hurts you that Arthur was killed. Show him how you will deal with it. Be honest. Of course, make what you tell him approriate for his age. In other words, you may limit what you tell him, but tell him at a level he can understand. But I would talk with him about it.

Oh, and I am all for hunting coyote's that are overrunning our countryside.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While I would have felt obligated to tell the lad some truthful version I have deferred to my wife and this nice kid's mother plan to tell an age appropriate white lie.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I didn't say it before but sorry for your loss. I have lost many pets. It's hard I don't care if some people say it's just an animal. It can be worse than a human loss. Possible because others don't understand the amount of grieving involved.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The truth. And that the coyote did what coyotes do -not evil just a wild animal with humans to close.
F******* Coyotes need exterminated....when I raised Airedales on the Farm, they would chase down the Coyotes...and kill them. Will say it usually took 2 Airedale to dispatch a stinking Coyote, but they got the job done....Coyotes are pretty much useless, they provide nothing useful and are really cowards in the long run.:p I kill everyone I can....and even though a wildlife lover, they are one POS I enjoy dispatching with a smile on my face, at least back in the days on the farm....these days, I don't hunt, although if one came into town and in my backyard....he would be dispatched, if possible, with extreme satisfaction. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts