TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a lot of crap with me..and i cant fit it all on the bike. I don't enjoy lugging around a 50lb backpack for the entire day either. I ended up finding some saddle bags on clearance at walmart for 30 bucks. For that price, i thought id try and make them work.

My concern is the exhaust and the bag..i don't want to melt the bag, or cook my lunch either. A friend suggested put some heat wrap on the pipe and possible shield it with some wood. Then i got the idea of using UHMW plastic, which is very hard and i have it for a skid plate on my rzr. I dont know how it would hold up to the heat.. Besides buying a cyclegear rack, id like to hear some other peoples comments.

Ideas? Opinions?

Heres what i came up with just messing around. This is the idea im going for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do a quick google search for "automotive heat shielding" or "motorcycle heat shielding". Heatshieldproducts.com caught my eye during my one minute search. I frequent a local 4x4 board where this subject came up. Most people used/recommended a product that came in rolls of 2 different widths, self adhesive, shiny metal on the outer side, and worked great for both heat and noise reduction between their muffler/exhaust and floorboard. Can be found at auto parts stores.

I would be reluctant to use anything (wood, plastic) that could possibly burst into flames while I was riding.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like your idea! Your bags look almost just like the ones i paid $120.00 for online
Lucky you!! I will try your idea this week if it stops raining here and share my findings with you.

Thanks for the Idea!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
UHMW has a working high range of about 100 degrees C. (200+) They make a HT varity thatsrated higher.

The sharp edges will cut you bags wide open one ride, make sure to round them over.

As far as bursting in to flames, the factory plastic are thinner, closere and more flamable... But if you are worried carry a F.E.

I like your friends idea of exhaust wrap. The muffler does not get anywhere as hot as the head pipe,and will make a great barrier.

Another idea is silicone bakeware, rated up to 500 degrees F, plus you could use them to make cookies.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the thin factory plastic is that close and it doesn't melt, I'm still leaning towards my idea of the uhmw. I have some on hand and could build a little platform and sheild.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
As long as you keep air flow there should be no problem. If the plastic makes contact, then you need to worry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was thinking of taking my wife's cutting boards and trying them this week as a test but I am not sure I can handle the heat when I return them...LOL

·
Registered
796 Posts
go to lowes or home depo and get a thin metal plate that is half the diamter of the muffler,a couple of nuts that are 1/2 inch thick and some bolts to go with them. tack weld the nuts to the muffler. Bend the metal plate to the diameter of the muffler and drill holes in the same places as the nuts. Now just bolt your new head shield into place and your done.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
There are a few good homebrewed ideas on this site. They're for Serows, but the exhausts are similar. I like the PVC sheeting design near the bottom of the page, but I'd make it out of something tougher:

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/#packing

·
Registered
540 Posts
go to lowes or home depo and get a thin metal plate that is half the diamter of the muffler,a couple of nuts that are 1/2 inch thick and some bolts to go with them. tack weld the nuts to the muffler. Bend the metal plate to the diameter of the muffler and drill holes in the same places as the nuts. Now just bolt your new head shield into place and your done.
the bolt heads will melt the thin nylon material

1 - 11 of 11 Posts