TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Really? They really say this? "Motorcycle Saddle Bag designed by Paul Jr. himself"

But they don't explain which Paul Jr. they are referring to. Leaving it up to us to assume the famous one and a motorcyclist.

My first thought was, could anything good come out of Sears regarding motorcycles?

My next thought was and still is, are these at all water proof or resistant?

My final thought is, can't hurt trying them out.

I can't stand saddle bags on a bike that are throw overs but with the proper brackets mounted to the bike so as not to damage your plastics
perhaps you can make these work and be very happy with them.

Let us know how they work out.

Good find!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Or if you wanted to go really cheap like I did you could get the versa horse saddle bags which went for about $25. I didn't care for the floppy look so lined them with dry laundry detergent rectangular buckets which fit inside perfectly. I like how they sit low and if I happen to wipe out and crush a bucket. Down to walmart for a new laundry or kitty litter bucket to line it again.:).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Or if you wanted to go really cheap like I did you could get the versa horse saddle bags which went for about $25. I didn't care for the floppy look so lined them with dry laundry detergent rectangular buckets which fit inside perfectly. I like how they sit low and if I happen to wipe out and crush a bucket. Down to walmart for a new laundry or kitty litter bucket to line it again.:).
I bought a pair of those and haven't used them yet but I threw them over the bike last nite after seeing this thread. Can't used my top box with a passenger and it looks like I'll have one a lot this year. Great idea about the buckets for a hard liners. I'll watch my neighbors garbage for some empty ones. Thanks for the pics too:icon_salut:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not know who Paul Jr. is, but I hope he gave me his A game when he was designing the bags;
I do not snub Sears as my Craftsman tools put my bike together and take it apart;
Sears is a store and not a brand. The brand is Mad Dog. Chances are the same factory in China also makes them for Coleman. (What does Coleman know about motorcycles?).
A TW warrants a querky-non traditional approach, so Willie and Max are not getting this job;
When I fab these on, I will post.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I like the throw-over bags. I've used them on my Guzzi with good results. Nice find.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I do not know who Paul Jr. is, but I hope he gave me his A game when he was designing the bags;
I do not snub Sears as my Craftsman tools put my bike together and take it apart;
Sears is a store and not a brand. The brand is Mad Dog. Chances are the same factory in China also makes them for Coleman. (What does Coleman know about motorcycles?).
A TW warrants a querky-non traditional approach, so Willie and Max are not getting this job;
When I fab these on, I will post.

I agree with you. A TW is certainly not a Willie and Max bag machine.

I think SEARS fits well.

Paul Jr. ironically is the Orange County Chopper builder and son of Paul Senior who was "The Man" of OCC all those years.

For these bags to be Paul Jr. blessed they are in fact Willie and Max styled. LOL This is too funny.

Go for it brother and ride they heck out of it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got the bags in today. They are in a Coleman box branded by Mad Dog ordered from Sears. Without any doubt or reservation (they came with dust covers and are water resistant) I would put them up against any bag at more than triple the price. I will mount them up this weekend. These bags should be standard equipment on a TW. Anything more than $42.00 for TW bags is opulent. I may run the throw-over strap under the seat for a custom install look (like I ran the enduro bag straps under the seat). A few grommets and a tie strap or two and I may come out of this as Tommy Salami. To protect the side of the bag from the pipe I will use 3M spray adhesive on a piece of Nomex. I am going to be like a kid at school watching the clock tomorrow to get out of work. Just when I thought I was off the cool scale with my TW, along came these bags.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Put the bags on. Ran the straps under the seat even though they are sold as throw over bags. Fits like OEM. On the right bag, I used spray adhesive and lined the inside panel in its entirety with Nomex to duck problems with the muffler heat. I also ran a strip of Nomex across the front strap that goes over the muffler. These bags have TW written all over them. 2 straps under the seat, one strap around peg brace and one strap around tool tube. Both bags at 90 degrees with rack for if I want to mount up to the rotopax.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Put the bags on. Ran the straps under the seat even though they are sold as throw over bags. Fits like OEM. On the right bag, I used spray adhesive and lined the inside panel in its entirety with Nomex to duck problems with the muffler heat. I also ran a strip of Nomex across the front strap that goes over the muffler. These bags have TW written all over them. 2 straps under the seat, one strap around peg brace and one strap around tool tube. Both bags at 90 degrees with rack for if I want to mount up to the rotopax.
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Glad you like the new gear; great price - some detailed photos of your strap/mounting setup would be great, too. Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Evan couple of ?s
What model are yours? I can't seem to find them in black
Did you use and side bracket with the cycle rack?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Don't remember model. I'll see if says on bag when I get a chance. Using dirtbagz brackets.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will try for pictures this weekend. Albeit, the pros on this site tell me I am doing overkill, I extended my exhaust with a 3/4 inch copper pipe coupler painted black so that the hot exhaust clears the bag. No turn down on this beast. Spits raw fuel right out the back. I will wrap the muffler with header wrap as well as the outside of the bag over the Nomex.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I will try for pictures this weekend. Albeit, the pros on this site tell me I am doing overkill, I extended my exhaust with a 3/4 inch copper pipe coupler painted black so that the hot exhaust clears the bag. No turn down on this beast. Spits raw fuel right out the back. I will wrap the muffler with header wrap as well as the outside of the bag over the Nomex.
mbw what rack are you using and any side racks

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Manracks with rotopax mount built in. I know criticizing the cyclerrack is like a race based intelligence study, but it is too much apparatus for me. I do like/have their front rack. I have little regard for the headlight issue. Just don't ride the bike at night if the rack is full. No side racks which makes the paranoid side of me get out the Nomex, exhaust extension, and header wrap. Probably unnecessary, but I like these bags and do not want to burn up the inside of the right bag.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts