TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20160920_123222 (1024x576).jpg

Yesterday, I took a day off work and went for a ride before the weather changed today. After tonight, most of the mountain trails will be impassible for a while, and quite possibly, until spring.

There's a "road" called Skyline Drive in Central/Northern Utah. It runs north and south for a total of 100 miles from Highway 6 to I-70. There's only a 3-4 mile connecting stretch of pavement, and the rest is dirt! Most of the road is at or above 9,000 ft elevation with the highest point being 10,897 feet.

Here's a link with more information about it, if you're interested in the history.

Because of the distance, I didn't have enough time to do the entire round trip of 200 miles. I had to drive an hour and a half one way with the TW in the back of the '96 Tacoma to get to the trail head.

When it was all said and done, I had ridden 160 miles of dirt over the course of 8 hours with the only stops being to take pictures, eat an apple, and stretch my aching knees and back once I got to I-70. It was a long, but recharging day.

After the first couple miles of smooth graded dirt, you come across this sign.
The fun begins!
20160920_102211 (1024x576).jpg

More pics to come...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was amazing to see how often the contour and composition of the land changed over the miles.
Some parts of the road were smooth packed dirt, and other parts were heavily rutted. Some were narrow, some were wide, some had Aspens, some Pines, some were barren, and some were white!
20160920_152445 (1024x576).jpg

The Fall colors were wonderful to ride through and see in the distance.
20160920_131736 (1024x576).jpg

20160920_110045 (1024x576).jpg

20160920_104813 (1024x576).jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a link to see the entire 100 mile one way route. It's blue colored in the link.

I started at the Fairview summit area since I've already ridden the northern part and didn't have enough time to do the entire thing.

I was glad I had the Clarke XT225 4.1 gallon tank. I made it the entire way without having to worry about having enough fuel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
These are terrific photos. You folks out west really have it made when it comes to places to ride. I wish I could find it but last week or the week before someone posted a photo of their parked TW in the road in a redwood forest. Outstanding photo.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So beautiful, we need more "native surface roads" around here. Wild Bill, Moab was redder in some places and had a lot of sold rock surfaces, called "slick rock." I think every state with any mountains has a road they call Sky Line Drive.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That's a good one! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice post. Sounds like a must ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's about 20 miles from my home, have rode it several times.
If your close to skyline, look up White River. Just off highway 6 at Soldier Summit.
Ssdyle: I'm jealous...you're smack dab in the middle of a plethora of options for trail riding.

Hey, I'd love to plan a ride from my place in Utah County all the way to Moab, but I want to avoid pavement. Once I get to I-70 and Skyline, I don't know what trails or roads I can connect to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Nice ride, love those pictures! Glad someone is enjoying the high country before the snow flies.
Seems like the southern terminus of Skyline is about 200 air miles from Moab, plus one would have to cross that pesky Green River somewhere.:eek: So I guess a trail ride from Moab would unlikely be feasible, especially before the snow melts out above 11,000 ft.:sorrow:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions, Rhodie and Fred.

Google Earth can only take me so far, I've run into too many locked gates that are invisible from above.
I may just have to go exploring.
Moki Dugway would be a blast!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do have some ideas for a route between Moab and Utah County. But it probably won't include Skyline Drive. This is a route that I plan on doing next summer, so I know it's good up to Soldier Summit, from there I was looking at the Benchmark atlas and I'm fairly certain that a route could be found down into Utah Valley from there. I have done parts of this route but not the whole thing. And gps tracks are available.
I would love to do this with you next summer sometime if your interested. Or if anyone else is willing I think it would be a lot of fun.
This would include small sections of paved road like old Hwy. 6, and a short section of the river road, but not too much and it would be a great drive. I'm thinking that it might be done in 2 days but I think I would allow more time for camping and checking out some of the ancient rock art up Nine Mile Canyon. (the largest collection of native american rock art in the world)
Sorry I didn't load the pics in the right order, I'm sure you can see how it goes though.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep! That's what I was hoping you'd have!
Count me in.
I've driven through those areas so many times, but never on the back roads.
That would be a LOOONG but beautiful ride. I would say at least a 2-day-er.

I gotta start making plans. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Think I need to visit Nine Mile Canyon. Always curious as to how good a TV reception those Fremont Indians got with their antennae.;) 0411A500.jpg
Many interesting art styles over the centuries in Nine Mile. Impressive! Screen_shot_2013-03-13_at_10.26.25_AM.png

IMG_1531.JPG
image.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts