TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the highest cruising speed on the highway a guy should go on his TW before it is too hard on the motor? Stock sprockets and all-around stock bike.

Second, has anybody done the entire Washington back country discovery route on a TW 200 and if so was it awesome or too much for the little T dub?

Thanks for your help in advance guys

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
What is the highest cruising speed on the highway a guy should go on his TW before it is too hard on the motor? Stock sprockets and all-around stock bike.

Second, has anybody done the entire Washington back country discovery route on a TW 200 and if so was it awesome or too much for the little T dub?

MaxCruiseSpeedWithAStockBikeIsAbout55MPH.60IsSortOfDoable,[email protected],I'dSuggestChangingTo14/45Or14/44Gearing.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I can cruise all day at 55 mph with a 13/50 setup. The stock TW will cruise all day at 60 mph....(in flat country). Although these speeds, which equate to about 8,000 RPM (1,500 below redline), will not hurt the engine in the short term, they will accelerate wear to some degree, as well as oil consumption. For short highway stints, anything up to redline is not a problem.....the problem is that you aren't likely to get to redline unless down a hill! :p (Redline on a stock TW is about 75 mph on the speedo). If you are going to do this kind of riding most of the time, changing to a 14/45 makes sense at lower altitudes....for me at 6,000 feet, it wouldn't work at all, which is why I have a 13/50.

Although I am not familiar with the Washington BCDR, I have looked carefully at Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Colorado. There was nothing in any of those that would have given me pause, as long as I was not trying to keep up with guys on KTM 650's! (something I would NEVER do under any circumstances! :eek: ;)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did some sections of the WABDR on a CT110, the only challenge was not getting run over on paved roads like hwy 2. The TW would be more than up to the task for putting along. We came across some fast riders on KTMs, I'm not interested in that kind of riding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ride 30 miles a day, 15 each way to go to work. I leave at 6,500 ft and I can go 60/65mph with no problem, I don't feel I'm going to kill my little TW. Now I'm using a 14/47 and it seams better to me than the stock 14/50. I have to say though that I'm 140lb so being on the light side helps!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't have a tachometer so I can't tell Rpm's, but for me anything above 45mph feels a little high in the revs for an extended period of time. I know it's a little piston, but there are still a lot of moving parts (valves etc) in the top end. I'm just the type of person that doesn't like to rev 4 strokes. So if it were me I'd change the sprockets to the rpms at higher speeds.

Also if you think of it from the point of view that running your motor at 8000 rpm's down the highway for an hour vs 4000 rpm's, you've turned your motor over twice as many times and that's twice the possible wear and tear on everything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm running 14/45 gears and like to cruise along at 45. Max about 55. After that it just seems like the rpm are too high. I have had it to 70 and it was wrung out and screaming. My speedo is red after 55 mph. Maybe wide open banshee screaming causes the famous base gasket leak?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
55-65 all the time. For safeties sake though don't hold up traffic. Follow a slow car if on the freeway. They do guzzle a whole lot more gas at full throttle though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I SOOOO disagree with the consensus on the forum....I think with stock gearing, 45 MPH is the upper safe/comfortable limit for extended running. I have no idea what RPM that actually is. I base this solely on my mechanical/riding experience. There is no basis in science here....At above 45Mph the engine is noisey, vibrates and buzzes alot. It just feels like I am ringing it's neck! The real sweet spot is at about 35 to 40 MPH IMO. My normal cruise speed is 35MPH and the bike just feels "happy" at that speed.

People talk about oil consumption and leaking base gaskets....These seem to be the same people who advocate extended high speed running.

This is just my opinion and most people here seem to disagree with me on this and that is OK....It would be pretty boring around here if we all agreed on everything all the time!

·
Registered
816 Posts
one more opinion. I ran my stock motor up to 55 with stock gearing for extended periods. It seemed fine and never had ill effects that I could find. On the 225 I will hold 60 all day with the wide range box and 15-47 gearing. thats just under 7k. I keep an eye on the temps with my trail tech and service it religiously. I like the way is sounds at 45-50 better, but I'ts not a trailer queen so I drive it where I want to. I have done the tri pass with it (over white pass up cayuse pass and back over chinook) and it was fine. I think I could hear the sound three days later though

Personally I would drive it how you want, take care of it meticulously, and should something arise just fix it. these things are stupid simple and cheap to work on.

If you get up some plans to do that ride come find me. You can bet I'd do it on my TW without a doubt.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I SOOOO disagree with the consensus on the forum....I think with stock gearing, 45 MPH is the upper safe/comfortable limit for extended running. I have no idea what RPM that actually is. I base this solely on my mechanical/riding experience. There is no basis in science here....At above 45Mph the engine is noisey, vibrates and buzzes alot. It just feels like I am ringing it's neck! The real sweet spot is at about 35 to 40 MPH IMO. My normal cruise speed is 35MPH and the bike just feels "happy" at that speed.

People talk about oil consumption and leaking base gaskets....These seem to be the same people who advocate extended high speed running.

This is just my opinion and most people here seem to disagree with me on this and that is OK....It would be pretty boring around here if we all agreed on everything all the time!
I agree with you as I already wrote my thoughts above, but every time I hit 35-40mph I find myself thinking why the heck doesn't this bike have a 6th gear?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with you as I already wrote my thoughts above, but every time I hit 35-40mph I find myself thinking why the heck doesn't this bike have a 6th gear?
Both of mine do have a 6th gear, but I am running the equivalent of 14/52 and I could use another gear...Doing a six speed conversion is worth the effort for sure...

·
Registered
286 Posts
How did you do 6 spd conversion, I didn't know it was possible to do that. What's it all about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will swing by the shop when it starts to warm up. I was thinking about doing it in two different trips so I don't ditch kids and wife too long at a time. Maybe a long weekend one moth from Oregon up to Yakima then another long weekend to Canada.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts

35? Do you only ride around your neighborhood or something?

I ride mine ~75ish all the time with no problems yet.. [still super low mileage though- 9000ish]

·
Registered
13,798 Posts

Are you going to ride a lot of pavement?

If you are I would suggest 14/45 or 14/47. Your RPM's will be lower and you will have a more usable 4th gear when you have to downshift. What this means is, you will be able to go a little faster @ a lower RPM in 4th gear with 14/45 (14/47) than you will with the stock 14/50 which will be a lower speed with higher RPM. Put another way, I was able to go uphill 45 mph at 8,000 RPM's with the 14/45 gearing but could only go 40 mph at 8,000 RPM's with stock 14/50 gearing.

Also worth mentioning for me, changing the gearing from 14/50 to 14/45 did not result in a higher top speed. I think you would need a more powerful engine for this to come into play. You would see a top speed difference if you were going from 14/55 to 14/45. I was able to go 65 mph with 14/45 but could only get to 60 mph with 14/55 combo, and at a much great RPM.

Hopefully, this makes sense. It makes perfect sense in my head but what's in my head may not translate that well to the written word! :p Last year forum member old man w/2 many guns & knives had me try the 14/45 combo. I was thinking there was no way I would like this combo but I was very surprised at the outcome which is why I'm even mentioning this to you.

If you want to stay with the stock gearing (14/50), my suggestion for "cruising speed" would be about 50mph. Sure you can go 55-60mph for long durations which would equate to cruising speed, but for peace of mind, I would play it on the conservative side. As you see some even suggest a lower cruising speed but I wouldn't/couldn't ride the TW that slow on the highway.

Might be worth saying there is a difference between max. speed and cruising speed!

Above all else, experiment, have fun, enjoy riding and don't hit a tree, it hurts!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am fairly new to the TW world but I will tell you my experience. I have a 2014 that I have now had for a couple of months. When I got it I felt like 55 was about the max that I wanted to push it, so in experimenting with some different gearing, (I tried 14/47, and a few other combinations) I found that 15/47 is great for me. I ride mostly on the road, not highway and some light off road. I can cruise easily at 60 now and 65 isn't too bad. I probably wouldn't push it much above that for extended periods. The down side to that gearing is that you occasionally have to shift down to 4th on a hill (I'm a big boy, about 260) but , I think it's a much better bike if you mostly ride roads. I will say that you can accomplish nearly this same gearing with just a change of the rear to a 44. 44/14=3.14 and 47/15=3.13. Stock is 3.57. First gear is still plenty low for all but the most extreme conditions, second is great for most hill climbs. I will say that if I were going to ride it exclusively off road, I would probably keep it stock or go even lower. I'm no TW expert, this is just what works for me.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree with the 45mph crowd. 50 is OK, but for me leaves very little room for error if I need to accelerate for some reason. 55 is doable, but for me a few miles to a freeway exit is as long as I would want to run at that speed. 60 makes mine use a niticeable amount of oil, where consumtion for 500 miles is usually a couple of teaspoons, 100 miles at or near 60 is .25 quart (found out one day when I rode with a bunch of guys on MX bikes and had to stay in the throttle all day). interesting thing, 90% of the time I would prefer lower, not higher gearing. second and third are just a bit high for trail work.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I think it depends also on where you live. Where I lived when I bought it at 5800' it would only do 68, so riding it on the highway meant redline all the way. Where I live now at 1100' it would do 76 so riding at 65 all day doesn't seem so bad. I changed the sprockets and now it'll do 80+ so 65 is certainly no big deal. I mean, I don't do 65, I still ride it at redline because racecar, but I figure what's it gonna do blow up? Probably not, and even if it does it has about the simplest engine in production I think, just rebuild it.

You would see a top speed difference if you were going from 14/55 to 14/45. I was able to go 65 mph with 14/45 but could only get to 60 mph with 14/55 combo, and at a much great RPM.
Maybe you went too far? The TW does only have Falabella style horsepower and can only do so much. I imagine you didn't stay with that setup for long?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts