TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the ohv trails at Sam Houston national forest? Looking to make a trip there with the dub . Any trail suggestions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
2020 TW 200
20 Posts
Ride Sabine National Forest Service roads and hunt as well. I understand that Sam Houston has trails set up specifically for atv, motorcycle riding. Have heard they are good

·
Registered
2020 TW 200
20 Posts
Look up Sam Houston atv motorcycle trails. Says they are temporarily closed but does give a campground that appears to be the “beginning of the trail system”. Might help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I haven’t been able to get ahold of any park officials at SHNF . Maybe some of the locals there can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have ridden in some of the Sam Houston Trails but not often enough to really know any of them. They now require a pass to use them.There is a Forest Ranger office near the trail head. It is the next major intersection past 1097 if you are going up old 149, and go right. That road may be 1376 but I don't remember. If I ride my bike all the way out there, only about 30 miles, but I'm already tired when I get there. When I rode the trails some it seemed like crazy tree dodging to me. I kind of liked just hitting the service roads. Some of the service roads seem like you are on a trail since there are huge potholes in some of them.

·
Registered
2020 TW 200
20 Posts
Your right on about riding on National Forest Service roads. W trees down and massive “pits” full of very deep water in places. In other parts of the roads it can be a nice multi mile ride.
Riding these roads is why i bought my TW 200.

·
Registered
2020 TW 200
20 Posts
I have one even on Forest Service roads. Probably. You can pick one up at most cycle dealerships. Call ahead

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
are ohv tags still required on the service roads?
I don't believe an OHV tag is required on the service roads. I think any street legal vehicle is good on the service roads. I don't know if OHV tag would get a 4 wheeler allowed on a service road since it is not a licensed vehicle, I think you would just get a ticket on that one. I'm a cheapskate and I am happy with the service roads most of the time. I need to get me some hand guards at least before I ride in the forest again. A branch or vine grabbing a control is no joke. I have the more streetable tires so it would probably be a blast to slide around the trails.

·
Registered
2020 TW 200
20 Posts
Think Ken is right. The trail system near Sam Houston NF, specific for trail riding requires the tag. Regular National Forest Service roads require a street legal vehicle.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I've been planning a trip down there from Dallas. Hope to do it soon. We could make it a T-Dub meet-up.
I think I would be up for a group ride. Just let me know some in advance so I can tripple check my old bike.

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha TW200, and several more, from 50cc to 1800
1 Posts
i rode them 2 years ago, weekly after work. In fact, I bought my tw, just to ride these trails. lots of fun, the west side trails were open (not the east side), from 1795 to kelly's pond and beyond.
there is a phone number you can call to see if the trails are open - 1 - 888 361-6908 or 936-344-6205 (this is the one I used). I just called, and all trails are open. Call before you go. the trails close for many reasons, esp after rain. Seems like I need to plan a trip to ride the East trails.
Each trail has its own characteristics. Some sandy, lots of humps, it was slow going. Yes, the south side has more sand and mud than the north side. I had a great time riding them. its quite a work out :). Only real issue is trees down, and you are not supposed to go around them, can't cut them.
The Sam Houston Trails Coalition helps maintain the trails and has maps : http://samhoustontrails.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/map_west.pdf. They do lots of work, esp on the south side, and have work days if you want to help.
I have ridden on all the west side trails.
There are three trailheads, kelly's pond (south), 208 trailhead (middle), and northwest trailhead (north). Kelly's pond is the most busy, and has camping. Be careful during deer season. I like the northwest the most, but it was on my way home, and is the least used. I used to ride the trails till dark, then the service road back to my vehicle.
You need 2 passes, the state OHV (from TPWD?), and the national forest (yearly available from the ranger station, and from nearby dealers) or daily at the trailheads.
To ride on the service roads, you need no passes, but must have a licensed vehicle (they are roads).
I think I averaged about 7 miles per hour when riding on the trails. And I wrecked many times in the deep sand. But had so much fun.
I have since changed jobs, so not up in that area much, but live 45 minutes away, and might be interested in a meetup.
I will try to answer any more questions

David

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be up for a group ride . Just depends when . Hard to find time this time of year with holidays coming up.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
i rode them 2 years ago, weekly after work. In fact, I bought my tw, just to ride these trails. lots of fun, the west side trails were open (not the east side), from 1795 to kelly's pond and beyond.
there is a phone number you can call to see if the trails are open - 1 - 888 361-6908 or 936-344-6205 (this is the one I used). I just called, and all trails are open. Call before you go. the trails close for many reasons, esp after rain. Seems like I need to plan a trip to ride the East trails.
Each trail has its own characteristics. Some sandy, lots of humps, it was slow going. Yes, the south side has more sand and mud than the north side. I had a great time riding them. its quite a work out :). Only real issue is trees down, and you are not supposed to go around them, can't cut them.
The Sam Houston Trails Coalition helps maintain the trails and has maps : http://samhoustontrails.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/map_west.pdf. They do lots of work, esp on the south side, and have work days if you want to help.
I have ridden on all the west side trails.
There are three trailheads, kelly's pond (south), 208 trailhead (middle), and northwest trailhead (north). Kelly's pond is the most busy, and has camping. Be careful during deer season. I like the northwest the most, but it was on my way home, and is the least used. I used to ride the trails till dark, then the service road back to my vehicle.
You need 2 passes, the state OHV (from TPWD?), and the national forest (yearly available from the ranger station, and from nearby dealers) or daily at the trailheads.
To ride on the service roads, you need no passes, but must have a licensed vehicle (they are roads).
I think I averaged about 7 miles per hour when riding on the trails. And I wrecked many times in the deep sand. But had so much fun.
I have since changed jobs, so not up in that area much, but live 45 minutes away, and might be interested in a meetup.
I will try to answer any more question
David
I have a lot in Hidden Forest near the trails. You are really familiar with the area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts