TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TW
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
23,157 Posts
Looks like a very nice adventure and a good base camp. Imagine three days could easily turn into three weeks exploring The Swell.
More neat pictures and a little story could entertain those of us who are trapped home.(y)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tried. The gov has blocked off many of the easily accessible mines.

Fully recovered, thanks. The sand only took me down once this trip. How's the knee?
Knee is still sore but going to PT weekly. Still on blood thinners until end of June for potential clotting issues. No riding bike until end of June or cutting wood. Wife has me on short leash! Currently touring Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Parks barely open due to a lot of snow.

·
Registered
2021 TW
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like a very nice adventure and a good base camp. Imagine three days could easily turn into three weeks exploring The Swell.
More neat pictures and a little story could entertain those of us who are trapped home.(y)
The real star is "The Hondu", an arch located high up on the nearby sandstone cliffs. The Muddy river runs through the valley and there is a jeep trail you can follow next to the river and make a complete loop around Tomsich butte. That trail has some side spurs to more mining areas. The creek is actually pretty clear and it was nice to lay in after riding.
Cloud Mountain Sky Plant Bedrock

Brown Sky Bedrock Natural landscape Geological phenomenon

Sky Plant Bedrock Mountain Natural landscape

Plant Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal Natural landscape

·
Registered
23,157 Posts
Some years ago we had a good sized group TW ride based a little more to the north and ended up along the Muddy one day at a similar looking mine and airstrip.
You folks in Utah have so many great ride destinations, no wonder we sneak in to play every year.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Definitely

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
1987 TW200
7 Posts
I've canoed that Muddy Creek from the butte to the airport. The water only flows enough every couple of years to do it. It was awesome, canoeing through a slot canyon with class 2 rapids/boulder chokes. If you google "the chute of muddy creek" you can find descriptions and videos of it.

I've never had my TW in the swell, but would like to sometime.

·
Registered
2021 TW
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've canoed that Muddy Creek from the butte to the airport. The water only flows enough every couple of years to do it. It was awesome, canoeing through a slot canyon with class 2 rapids/boulder chokes. If you google "the chute of muddy creek" you can find descriptions and videos of it.

I've never had my TW in the swell, but would like to sometime.
I rode down to Hidden Splendor mine and the air strip one afternoon. I've never gone down the "chute" but I've read about it in Kelsey's guide book. Canoeing the Muddy would be incredible. It was only running 4 - 6 inches or so.

·
Registered
23,157 Posts
Only 4" of water in the Muddy when we were there so I rode in it like a kid splashing in a mud puddle.
Big picture for those who haven't visited yet: The Swell is like a long north south reef rising up out of the terrain for dozens of miles blocking easy east-west travel.
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Mountain Motor vehicle

The Muddy is but one drainage that cuts though or sneaks around the Swell. The few passages through created historic migration routes for man & beast so one can find artifacts and rock art from various Native American cultures over the millennia.
Bedrock Wood Terrain Formation Outcrop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts