TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to meet up with friends (all have ATV's) at Sandlake, OR dunes in mid February . I have never taken my TW on/in sand! Anybody have experience in sand with there Tw? I have a stock rear tire with a Kenda 5.10 front tire. Any words of wisdom....such as borrow an ATV:confused:? Seems like the TW should be able to float along? I'm going regardless but just want to know what I'm getting into .

·
Super Moderator
17,935 Posts
Air the tires way down.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sometimes it helps to lower your tire pressure. Best to float on top with speed but there is a learning curve turning.
If you really like your TW, borrow/rent a quad. Sand gets everywhere chain, swingarm bushings,seals, brakes etc. Slogging through
sand is also gets 'em hot. Most quads have oil coolers and fenders to funnel air at low speeds.
Above all have a great time.

·
Registered
20,166 Posts
Go ahead since you seem committed. You will be disappointed in how well it floats but will likely have a great time irregardless. Low air pressure , maybe 8 psi, weight back, maintain momentum, hope for wet sand, read the dunes as lee slopes a bit looser and have fun.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A skinny front tire will handle better in the sand. A friend and I went to Moab a few years ago and I was running a 5.10 shinko sr244 and it floated all over the place. His stock tire felt much better and tended to carve instead of float. What I learned is that when the front starts floating around and the bike feels likes its going to wash out then nail the gas until it gets better. I never went down but it did get all weird on me a few times. I wouldnt want to ride it in the sand dunes. Sand is the only place that I dont like the fat tire better.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Everyone is giving you superlative advice, obviously from experience. It seems counter-intuitive, but hammering it is indeed almost always the right fix to any problem in sand. The difficulty is sometimes you need a framing hammer and find you are riding a tack hammer.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If that sand is as soft as Mich. sugar sand forget it............. Rent or borrow a quad............ That would be what I would do... I've tried it...... Now out west we had better luck with that tighter sand. OMM.

·
Super Moderator
17,935 Posts
You can get through the sand with the TW, but if you haven't done this before, you will find that after picking up your bike 30-40 times you will be exhausted, so, you may want to have someone bring a spare ATV after all. ;)

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Do it! You won't learn unless you do. After trying it, then you can decide if this is up your alley!

I've gotten more comfortable riding sand river wash's, and other sandy area's, but this place intimidated me on my first visit. TW sank in the sand when parked out on the road and was hard to get going again because of the lack of power for the TW, and that wasn't even the deep part of the sand. Later I went out and test rode in part of the sand and decided that if I was riding, keep on the throttle, don't let off much, and try not to stop.

Funny this thread came up. Last night, wife and I discussed going back to the dunes to have some fun. Knowing the ATV will be best, I think I'll do better on this trip with the TW as I have more experience. That and the wife's ATV can help pull me out if I get really stuck. You've got buddies on ATV's so that should help.

Road wasn't even that deep and I had a hard time getting moving again. But it was FUN!

Wasn't so fun for this guy who drove his car down in it! He had already called a tow truck when I asked him if he needed help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It looks like it could be a lot of fun. I know the TW is not a dune buggy and do not plan on trying to climb dunes. I have not been to this rec area but it looks like there will be a wide variety of terrain to choose from, I just may not be able to ride in some of the same areas the rest of the group rides. In February on the west coast there is a pretty good chance it will be wet sand which no doubt will help. Here is a link to where this is. Hey, if nothing else I can just enjoy the beach, fly a kite and maybe borrow a friends ATV:D
Sand Lake - Oregon Motorcycle and ATV Trails

·
Registered
20,166 Posts
That looks like good place to go with friends Jon. Sand does not look excessively loose and as you say rain moistened sand will help firm things up slightly. I would try to stop for breaks atop dunes if you can make it to the top. When stuck I have un-assed and walking next to bike tried slowly gently rebuilding some momentum until hoping back on to avoid immediately digging in.
Take and share with us a photo or two of the inevitable sand nap your TW will take. That way we can laugh at your expense while secretly wishing we were there with you having fun.
And of course a good fresh water rinse when you get home is a good idea. I am jealous already.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Well I have taken the TW in deep sand you spend a lot of time putting your feet down to keep the bike up, so have good boots on so you don't break your ankle. not good for the clutch either. now when I had a quad the sand was a blast I would say use the proper tool for the job.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
1 - 20 of 103 Posts