TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I went on our longest TW ride of the year(ever for both of us on a TW) on sat up the south Maine seacoast. What started off as a trip to go get breakfast in Ogunquit turned into an all day adventure. We started out at her house in Kittery and rode the seacoast from Kittery thru York, by Nubble Light and up into Ogunquit where we had breakfast. From there we continued north to Perkins cove where there are a bunch of little shops to go into. I also saw a TW parked outside a restaurant at the cove and wonder if it belongs to a member here. From there we continued up the coast thru Kennebunk, Kennebunk Port and all the way up to Old Orchard Beach. After lunch and an ice cream at the beach we headed inland for the ride home. We totaled a little over 100 miles on the day on ~3 gallons of fuel between the two bikes. We(she more then I) also got a lot of stares from guys jealous of my GF riding a bike and the sheer awesomeness of the TW. I even had one guy at a gas station trying to offer up his car and Amex in trade for her TW for a day.

Then comes what i call the delusional HD rider. On the way back home we were riding down Rt 236 in N Berwick Maine when a group of HD riders cape up behind us. At the time we were in a 55 zone going ~60mph plus giving it just about everything the TW has to offer. These guys seemed content to stay behind us for a while while we just cruised along. then one of them passed us only to get stuck behind a car going slower than we were. At that point we were in a HD sandwich and once the car turned off it was back to 60+. After a few miles the other two gutless noisemakers decided to pass us and one of them looks over at me with the most smug look ever and waves bye like was some sort of feat if motorcycle superiority to pass a TW 200. It was so funny i'm still laughing about it. I wish we had another stop light so i could have asked him if he was proud of himself for being able to pass a TW 200 with its thundering 10 HP:p. This was the only time all day i wish i had been on my Duc so i could have taught him a lesson.

Overall it was a really nice, very scenic ride that the TW was suited perfectly for. The towns have a ton of traffic and slow speed areas that would have been super frustrating on my Ducati( it does not do slow well) but were a pleasure on the TW. Anyone up here in the NE area if you want a great low key ride, this is a good one.

Since this was my longest ride ever on a TW i have a list of things that i want to do now to make this type of trip even better. Another cyclerack for her bike is a must and im going to order one very soon. The other is the seat, that thing after about 50 miles is a torture device, i need to do something about it either an cushion type deal or a seat concepts kit.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
That sounds like a wonderful day in the saddle other than the saddle sores afterwards. Fantastic that the two of you can share a day riding together. I,and probably everyone else who saw you, am jealous.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My girlfriend and I went on our longest TW ride of the year(ever for both of us on a TW) on sat up the south Maine seacoast. What started off as a trip to go get breakfast in Ogunquit turned into an all day adventure. We started out at her house in Kittery and rode the seacoast from Kittery thru York, by Nubble Light and up into Ogunquit where we had breakfast. From there we continued north to Perkins cove where there are a bunch of little shops to go into. I also saw a TW parked outside a restaurant at the cove and wonder if it belongs to a member here. From there we continued up the coast thru Kennebunk, Kennebunk Port and all the way up to Old Orchard Beach. After lunch and an ice cream at the beach we headed inland for the ride home. We totaled a little over 100 miles on the day on ~3 gallons of fuel between the two bikes. We(she more then I) also got a lot of stares from guys jealous of my GF riding a bike and the sheer awesomeness of the TW. I even had one guy at a gas station trying to offer up his car and Amex in trade for her TW for a day.

Then comes what i call the delusional HD rider. On the way back home we were riding down Rt 236 in N Berwick Maine when a group of HD riders cape up behind us. At the time we were in a 55 zone going ~60mph plus giving it just about everything the TW has to offer. These guys seemed content to stay behind us for a while while we just cruised along. then one of them passed us only to get stuck behind a car going slower than we were. At that point we were in a HD sandwich and once the car turned off it was back to 60+. After a few miles the other two gutless noisemakers decided to pass us and one of them looks over at me with the most smug look ever and waves bye like was some sort of feat if motorcycle superiority to pass a TW 200. It was so funny i'm still laughing about it. I wish we had another stop light so i could have asked him if he was proud of himself for being able to pass a TW 200 with its thundering 10 HP:p. This was the only time all day i wish i had been on my Duc so i could have taught him a lesson.

Overall it was a really nice, very scenic ride that the TW was suited perfectly for. The towns have a ton of traffic and slow speed areas that would have been super frustrating on my Ducati( it does not do slow well) but were a pleasure on the TW. Anyone up here in the NE area if you want a great low key ride, this is a good one.

Since this was my longest ride ever on a TW i have a list of things that i want to do now to make this type of trip even better. Another cyclerack for her bike is a must and im going to order one very soon. The other is the seat, that thing after about 50 miles is a torture device, i need to do something about it either an cushion type deal or a seat concepts kit.

shit you're right up in holliston? I'm in Franklin, right down the road from Rosewood in Bellingham. My first place I lived when I moved out this way was in Holliston, use to stumble to casey's on the weekends.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yep, i'm on the Medway side of Holliston not too far from Stoddard park. Casey's, i haven't been in there in years......
small world. only a few miles apart. my frist apt was on the corner of norfolk and franklin, red house.

find any good trails recently? I've been down to franklin forest a bit but woudl love to hear of other places (aside from wrentham/foxboro)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I just got the do it yourself seat concepts seat I was going to install this past weekend but ended up changing oil on my car and truck I am going to do it this weekend I will take a few pictures and do a post on it, if you do it yourself you save about $40.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
I could make a better seat with a 2X6 and some foam! The ATV cushions from Walmart, Coleman or Sterns are a decent addition but I am sure the seat concept one would be the best alternative.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Sounds like the group of Weekend Warrior Harley Riders I came across on Vacation last weekend in Brown County, Indiana...my wife asks "What's Wrong with those People"? "Penis Envy" I reply..."They have little ones and think riding in groups of 10-15 on a Harley might make them look more like men"....

Mind you these are not your average Harley Rider, or on the other extreme, "Hell's Angles" ...they are weekend riders who dress the part, then come Monday go back to their boring job, sitting behind a desk, until they can "Play" Gang Member again the next weekend. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Hey! I used to feel just like those Harley Wannabees when I pulled my Badass TW up along side of some kids with 125 Hondas and those skinny little tires. Then I would be going down the trail and they blew by me on their rear wheels leaving me in a cloud of dust and flipping me off with one hand.:D

So what? Who really cares if the bike gives you a false sense of dominance and you have a good time riding it. I don't get this whole Harley thing and even less all the extra loud exhausts they add but again I honestly can't get too upset about anyone out for a ride. In states that allow riding without helmets I think it would be wise for some of these guys to at least wear hearing protection.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, I don't know. I love both of my TW's, really love 'em. But I also love all 4 of my Harleys. I know Ronny and Russ did a saddle sore on their TW's, but they are/were way better men than me, no thank you! I did however just run from South Central WA to Yuma AZ, nonstop, swapped a bike for my buddy, slept 8 hours and rode nonstop back. Averaged 47 mpg, wasn't sore or a danger to fellow travelers and never mean mugged a soul on the way. I was wishing for A/C when the temp topped 105 and stayed there.....sigh.
I always try to guard against lumping folks into the same pot based on only knowing one thing about them.
But that's just me.
It sounds like a great ride you had. We are lucky men who's Wife/GF rides with us. Sorry you bumped into someone you couldn't ignore, and sorry he added to a myth to many people believe already.

Bag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts