TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
You got that right, beautiful day here in Wisconsin too.

009.jpg

Went for a ride through Waushara county this afternoon. This is a pic from the top of Mount Morris hills park.

Ended up putting 148 miles on the bike today, and man my butt was sore when I got home, but I had a great time.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got that right, beautiful day here in Wisconsin too.

Ended up putting 148 miles on the bike today, and man my butt was sore when I got home, but I had a great time.
My butt is rated for 100 miles, thinking about getting an aftermarket one to extend my riding range.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I did around 80 yesterday. I tired to find seasonal roads and take them but most of it was dirt roads. Just enjoying the day.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Another great Saturday in the fingerlakes region of NY, 88 degrees and sun mixed with clouds, and best of all, no rain. Did a little exploring close to home, about 62 miles total.

View attachment 7676
Nice Scottie! 62 miles can be done in a little over an hour but with a TW and nice country and good weather I much prefer the 62 miles take all day. We missed about 40 miles of nice seasonal roads on the NE rally ride because we ran out of time and it is just as much fun if you turn around and ride the same trails from the opposite direction.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
"Seasonal Road"....this is a new term for me, what does it mean? How is it different from "trail" or " dirt road" mentioned in same post? Out west we have a few seasonal gated closures on primitive roads on public lands but no special names I am aware of. -thanks, I try to learn something new every day.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
"Seasonal Road"....this is a new term for me, what does it mean? How is it different from "trail" or " dirt road" mentioned in same post? Out west we have a few seasonal gated closures on primitive roads on public lands but no special names I am aware of. -thanks, I try to learn something new every day.
Seasonal use roads are town or county owned and fully legal to ride any registered vehicle on. These roads get no maintenance in the winter and very little in the summer, IE; they remove fallen trees and might dump a load of shale in any wash outs. I have about 6 different seasonal roads that only bikes and 4 wheel drive vehicles can get through and some are 10 to 12 miles long and simply cut through from one paved road to another. Mostly old logging or stage coach paths that are short cuts but take twice as long to get through because of slow travel. None are paved, just hard packed gravel or grass. It is illegal to ride unregistered dirt bikes or ATvs on these roads but any legal vehicle is allowed.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing I've noticed in NY is that some roads will say "Dead End" but if you get to the "End" it turns into an old trail that can go for miles.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Another thing I've noticed in NY is that some roads will say "Dead End" but if you get to the "End" it turns into an old trail that can go for miles.
I label those Renegade Roads. Probably not owned by the state or town so there is no clear right of way. Down here they are usually posted on both sides but there is no way to know who owns the path you are on. Same with the big power lines that cut through my county and go all the way to NY City. The power company owns some of the land outright and just bought the right of way in other places. You can't get permission but the power company never bothers you if you ride it. Land owners who just sold the right of way to the company but still own the land get real hinky about us riding on their lands. Renegade and just don't stop to get caught.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Thanks for the information. I can see why a plated TW or other dual sport is an advantage there for bugs in the teeth two wheel gravel road grinning fun

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Thanks for the information. I can see why a plated TW or other dual sport is an advantage there for bugs in the teeth two wheel gravel road grinning fun
These roads are the number one reason I chose the TW. Too many miles to count and plenty of trees on state owned land to hang my hammock from for the night.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts