TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all- thought i'd share with you all what I saw tonight. Went to Wally world in Newport, Tennessee tonight with the wife and sitting out front was a Honda CBR250 (one of the cool red, white and blue ones)- with Indiana tags on it. Said to the wife " i'll bet he didn't ride that here, must have trailered that little steed down here". Well, when we came out, the guy was on the running bike, his female companion standing there with her helmet on-"gosh, they're riding two up on that" I thought. I go up to the guy and asked him- "you surely didn't ride that down here"..... he replied- "you bet WE did!" He and his companion rode that little bike on the interstates all the way down here from southern Indiana this morning-TWO-UP! About 350mi. or so. Wow! He said between the two of them and their gear (he has a LARGE tank bag and small tail bag on it) it was about a 430lb. load. Unreal! Said he averaged about 60 mpg at interstate speeds, no less. This is a full-size 6' plus guy and maybe a 5' tall gal on the back. It really made my night seeing this young couple doing something I would probably do..makes me feel good knowing the good times aren't all behind us, ending with "our" generation. They will continue with the younger crowd... just on different styled bikes.... Thought you guys would get a kick out of this, I sure did. -Glenn.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
When I was young, a 250 was a medium sized motorcycle and often carried two people long distances. Like my R-26 BMW.
250cc bikes haven't changed in size, the have merely gotten better.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I know a couple probably in their 40s. He rides an FZ6 and she rides a CBR125...yes CBR125 and they do 1000 km days together.....11,000 rpm all day!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I like to ride the TW Commando and do a little razor work around the man parts!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
When I was young, a 250 was a medium sized motorcycle and often carried two people long distances. Like my R-26 BMW.
I'm with you phelonius....when I was in high school and got my R50, it seemed big to me. At that time Honda 750's seemed huge. Even today, small displacement bikes are ridden everywhere in many countries. I think it's a Western mindset thinking we need big bikes and huge SUV's, it's a want more than a necessity. I wish more of my friends realized all the fun they are missing out on as they struggle to ride tall heavy motorcycles while smirking at me on my TW like I'm the one who doesn't have a clue...lol

·
Registered
807 Posts
My girlfriends learner bike was a Suzuki GN125, we called her Nurple. GF lived about an hour from me at the time. Was very common when I would visit for her to say..........lets ride :) We put quite a few miles 2 up on Nurple.

·
Registered
486 Posts
When I was young a 250cc was a small bike, 450-550cc was the middle of the pack and a 750cc was a BIG bike. I only knew od a couple 850 & 1000cc bikes.
But there were no 650cc dual sport thumpers back then. I bought a Suzuki 500, kick start only, brand new for $1,400 in 1982. That I shoulda kept forever!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great thread. I think this is a fitting place to repost this. It was originally posted by forum member r80rt some time ago. Makes perfect sense to me.

Lightweight Motorcycle Travel:

Riding a bike long distances in a manner familiar to our dusty predecessors.

Meaning relatively simple equipment and just enough horsepower to get the job done.

It means crossing state lines on far less than a 500cc worth of propulsion.

It means riding for the sake of riding---almost anything--without worrying about 'keeping up appearances' or having the latest and greatest.

It means going places they haven't. It means having a certain amount of grit, ingenuity, and self-reliance.

It means doing things that some folks sneer at. It means going places they haven't.

It means refining a personal system of travel based on hard experience. It means having a twinkle in your eye. It means being the Gasoline Stranger.

All the 'in front of the bar' posing in the world on a chrome-encrusted-what-have-you, is a sad substitute for surveying a vista you've never seen, or even fixing a decrepit bike in a rainy ditch with a strange creek nearby. Or having to wait overnight for the only gas station to open because it closed at five 5PM.

Lightweight unsupported motorcycle travel means riding a 13 horsepower, 280 pound motorcycle, on a multi-day road trip, without a supply vehicle following behind.

Motorcycles like this encourage a routing bias toward Dirt roads, and two-lane secondary roads when neccessary. In addition to matching their speed capability better, back roads provide a more interesting mile by mile riding environment.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE small bikes. I just thought it was neat seeing two full size adults traveling the interstate on the 250. They planned on doing the Dragon while here (two-up of course). I recommended Monday rather than today (Sunday) to avoid the masses of inexperienced crazies. I do also realize that the majority of riders around the world, do so on 250cc and under.

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's cool! They were having more fun than you know. Don't even need a motor. My neighbor (about 60 now) peddled a bicycle from basically Cincinnati to LA just after high school graduation. He and a pack of buddies decided to do this trip. Only three made it the distance. Insane.

Hard enough on a good road worthy and set up bike. He still peddles some but the hills around here beat him down. I've thrown his bike in the back of my truck a couple of times.

Great story though. Where were they headed? If there is a will there is a way. The interstates must suck on that poor little bike 2 up. Hanging on a K1200S is rough at times (keeping up and getting away when needed = No problem)))). Everyone is doing 80 MPH or so texting and driving like dirt trackers on a good drunk. Scary chit!

Sounds like a nice little adventure they'll never forget. Priceless!

Reactions: TopPredator
1 - 14 of 14 Posts