TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much self debate and inner term oil I finally decided to trade my 2015 TW in. It wasn't an easy decision by any means; however the little T Dub just felt overwhelmed traversing to and from work. The bike struggled mighty on windy days and I couldn't bring myself to punish her as I was in order to keep up with the flow of traffic.

By no means am I bashing the Dub, she's a great bike just a little out of her element when trying to commute safely with folks rushing out of work riding your tailpipe. So, with that being said I purchased a 2016 WR250R, not only can this bike hang with traffic she easily makes it up to 90 mph; I can over take most 4 cylinders on the highway if needed (safely). I only put the Dub on the highway one time and luckily a semi truck was struggling and had traffic moving at 45mph.

It's literally twice the bike and has many features that's hard to resist, i.e. liquid cooling, fuel injection, suspension system and so on. Regardless of all that, this Community/T Dub has been more than awesome! I still log on and browse because there's no better motorcycle form than tw200forum.com. I just wanted to thank everyone that replied/offered knowledgeable advice. THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
After much self debate and inner term oil I finally decided to trade my 2015 TW in. It wasn't an easy decision by any means; however the little T Dub just felt overwhelmed traversing to and from work. The bike struggled mighty on windy days and I couldn't bring myself to punish her as I was in order to keep up with the flow of traffic.

By no means am I bashing the Dub, she's a great bike just a little out of her element when trying to commute safely with folks rushing out of work riding your tailpipe. So, with that being said I purchased a 2016 WR250R, not only can this bike hang with traffic she easily makes it up to 90 mph; I can over take most 4 cylinders on the highway if needed (safely). I only put the Dub on the highway one time and luckily a semi truck was struggling and had traffic moving at 45mph.

It's literally twice the bike and has many features that's hard to resist, i.e. liquid cooling, fuel injection, suspension system and so on. Regardless of all that, this Community/T Dub has been more than awesome! I still log on and browse because there's no better motorcycle form than tw200forum.com. I just wanted to thank everyone that replied/offered knowledgeable advice. THANK YOU!!
I have had my TW200 just over 10 years. Over that time I have considered selling my TW200 too and dreaming of higher engine HP. After riding MOAB last year I was refreshed again loving the TW. Part of the excitement with riding the TW with limited horse power is the feeling of reward that you get when you tackle a line on rock filled trail and get up the trail with a challenge and not excess power. While I totally endorse upgrading to higher performance bike for commuting in traffic I also promote multi bike ownership. Some people have no need for multiple bikes but I like to go by a good friends words on owning more bikes. "It's not the need it's the greed" Actually my friend is not greedy at all, but frugal and lives modestly so he can spend his money on motorcycles, bike trips.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have loved to keep the TW; however, I simply don't have room in either of our two garages. My zero turn and lawn equipment fill the secondary garage and my KingQuad 400, WR250R and our two cars occupy the primary. It was sad to part ways but I'm having a much more enjoyable time road riding the WR. Both are great bikes, but if I had to do it all over I'd still go with the WR; nothing beats a Yamaha TW or WR!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would have loved to keep the TW; however, I simply don't have room in either of our two garages. My zero turn and lawn equipment fill the secondary garage and my KingQuad 400, WR250R and our two cars occupy the primary. It was sad to part ways but I'm having a much more enjoyable time road riding the WR. Both are great bikes, but if I had to do it all over I'd still go with the WR; nothing beats a Yamaha TW or WR!
YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM IN EITHER GARAGES? You have to learn to negotiate and prioritize. My wife and I came to an agreement, Neither of us would get the two-car garage for FOUR WHEEL VEHICLES. We both park in driveway. I get the whole garage for MAN CAVE. All she gets is control over every other room in our house and entire basement, yard and credit cards LOL. Hell I was negotiating to keep my bikes indoors or I threaten bikes in the living room.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

Yep, if you are using the TW as a "Highway" Ride, you are riding the wrong Mule.....these bikes are not designed to keep up with 70+ mph traffic....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, if you are using the TW as a "Highway" Ride, you are riding the wrong Mule.....these bikes are not designed to keep up with 70+ mph traffic....
I never actually got the TDub on the highway, the one time I tried a semi had traffic backed up luckily. My commute to work however is 55mph, even at 60 the Dub felt taxed; the Dub feels much more pleasant at 45 whereas the WR feels comfortable at 70 even 80 mph if needed. Having a 6 spd in the Dub would make a huge difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have a great time on that new bike. My brother has the same bike, and it is very nice bike for dirt/road dual use. One word of caution: that bike had a problem with fuel pumps early on, and once hot, the bike might be impossible to restart for 10-15 minutes or so. We learned this the hard way in the woods. You can wait it out (it never failed to restart, so don't drain the battery trying), or, replace with a new fuel pump (very easy to do - it took us about 20 minutes). Apparently (from my brother's research), the original fuel pump tolerances were too tight, and expansion causes it to seize until cooled. Yamaha has not recalled the fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

If you don't mind my asking what did the dealer allow you on a trade in for a 2015 TW ? thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From the research I've read about that issue Yamaha corrected that in 2014, I've also heard you have to watch the ware pad on the swing arm, the chain will eat through the swing arm if the pad isn't replaced once it nears the end of its life. Thanks for the advice, had I not obsessed over the bike I would have never known about that. Also Yamaha did a recall on the stator, if your brother still has the WR let him know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I never actually got the TDub on the highway, the one time I tried a semi had traffic backed up luckily. My commute to work however is 55mph, even at 60 the Dub felt taxed; the Dub feels much more pleasant at 45 whereas the WR feels comfortable at 70 even 80 mph if needed. Having a 6 spd in the Dub would make a huge difference.

It appears that each "stock" TW is different....with my stock 2014, purchased new, I can cruise along at 55-60 with no problems....have had it at 72 or so, but yes, the lack of a 6th gear is a downer....I know Effanflood says his bike is not that great at 55 or above...seems to me, that each TW might be different...however my first point stands...the WR is more of what you need for a commute ride....the TW is really not designed for that. If, IF, I needed a smaller commute ride, it probably would not be a Dual Sport of any type, but "Hey" that's just me....:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had my Dub going 74 one time, the bike felt highly unstable and the engine sounded and felt taxed. My Dub would get up to 55/60 decently but the amount of engine noise was worrisome. I weigh in at 160-165 and I'm 6ft so the machine preformed well for what it is and felt comfortable at about 45-50 mph, but there's way too many impatient people buzzing by me. The WR is an entirely different experience, there's little to no engine noise at higher speeds, it's balanced/well planted traveling at 70 mph or greater. I'm not sure there's anything a Dub can do better than the WR but offer the rider more confidence due to slower speeds and a lower seat height. Overall the Dub is a great bike but like you said the WR is more of what I need and ultimately wanted at the end of the day. I can't envision myself riding anything but a dual sport and now I feel much more confident riding on the road due do the amount of pickup the WR posses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts