TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title states i came into some siphon sandblasting equipment...4 partially full buckets of black beauty, 2 blasting guns (no extra nozzles other than the ones on the guns), a media hopper as well as some plastic tubing (one gun was attached to the bung on the hopper with a hose, the other gun was attached to a metal straw-type suction pipe with a hose)...the tubing is all kinked so that would need to be replaced...i already have an air compressor which i would like to use if it's feasible...what i'm wondering is if this setup will work?...do i need smaller nozzles?...i'm not looking to do any big jobs with it but it would be nice to clean parts/tools up and paint if needed...

here is my compressor...

here is my newly acquired equipment...

one nozzle is a little smaller than the other...

·
Registered
793 Posts
It will all work just replace all the broken parts. once its together you then can determine if its too much or too little suction or speed then you make adjustments. The media is black beauty. That also might change once you start projects. It could develope heat so on some projects might warp. That is when you have to again change up your media to something that doesn't generate heat.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will all work just replace all the broken parts. once its together you then can determine if its too much or too little suction or speed then you make adjustments. The media is black beauty. That also might change once you start projects. It could develope heat so on some projects might warp. That is when you have to again change up your media to something that doesn't generate heat.

Thanks for the info...i plan on trying it out on some rusted tools that won't fit in my ultrasonic cleaner...i'll have to swing by sears hardware and pick up some new tubing...i should pick up a respirator too...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an alternative to regular sandblasting equipment and compressors, on small projects you can just use a home pressure washer, a special nozzle, and play sand from Home Depot.

Video and nozzle here:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_8520_8520

nice!...i didn't realize this...i don't own a pressure washer but my dad does so if this stuff doesn't work i'll use that as a backup...seems like it would be a pain to clean up though unless you used some type of tub with a filter to catch the sand but let the water out

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I do a fair amount of blasting using equipment similar to what you have but I need to get a blasting cabinet to keep the dust down and recover the media. Luckily I have a local business that rents time on a full range of blasting equipment for cheap. I'm using them until I find a reasonable cabinet.

The most important aspect of media blasting is your health protection. Silicosis (look it up) is an extremely deadly lung disease and a result of using silica sand or beach sand. Even the clothes you wear when blasting have silica dust on them and pose a threat. Black Beauty is mostly aluminum oxide (99% silica free) and works very good at rust removal. No matter what you use, ALWAYS use a respirator. Any kind of media is harmful if it gets in your lungs. Forced fresh air hood is optimal but a quality molded, tight fitting paint type masks will work pretty well. Paper dust masks don't help much at all. Eye protection is also mandatory....either a hood or tight fitting goggles.

The compressor you showed might work for short blasts after it has built up pressure but won't keep up for very long. Generally, blasting requires 12 CFM at about 90-110 PSI to do prolonged blasting with a 5/16" tip (yours look smaller than that). If the pressure drops below 90 psi you're still sucking media but it's not as affective and much is just being wasted. Paint removal still happens down to about 75 psi but you're overworking your compressor and wasting media. Black beauty is expensive and it looks like what you came across is worth about $200 (about $1/lb). My compressor is 10.9cfm @ 90psi and I have to stop once in a while to let it recover.

All that said, there is nothing like starting out with a blasted part to make it look like new. Next you will want to get a little gravity feed touch-up gun to put near flawless finishes on things after blasting. Seems like all aspects of having hobbies are money pits.

Here's a couple of parts I recently blasted.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info!!!
...i was thinking of possibly building a cabinet similar to this http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23694 ...this is a little much but there are some good ideas here too http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/Stuff_Workshop_Sandblaster_2.htm ...i have a little hood/mask but i plan to get a respirator...i plan on doing most of the work outside or in the garage to keep the mess down...i know the compressor i have isn't ideal and i know i will have to take breaks but i won't be doing anything big with it so that's fine...it's just going to be something to clean up parts and tools

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I like that DIY cabinet on the streetfighter forum. Well thought out, sealed, simple and do-able for most anyone. The only thing I would add is some kind of liner for the blast area inside, like white shower stall pvc or something. Blasting will eventually eat away at the wood. A rack of expanded metal or something as a work surface above the bin is handy too. Some people use a shop vac attached to a vent as a dust filter too. I see there are 14 pages to the thread. I'd guess lots of tip are in there. I think I'll make one. Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey, while I NEVER recommend Harbor Freight junk, because 99% of it is just that, I bought a $200 blasting cabinet from them and so far, it is decent for home use. If you are going to blast a lot, a better cabinet might be nice, but if you are like me, only using it on occasion, it would be fine.

IMO, aside from protecting yourself while blasting, which is a no-brainer, the key is using a good compressor. I have a nice Champion 5HP, which is the heart of my home garage shop, and when I blast, it is running almost full time. Any little compressor is going to get annoying really fast if you try to blast with it. Since I don't blast all that much, I use regular silica sand, which I know is bad, and I plan to change it to something more health conscious, but I do wear a good particulate mask when I blast to filter out any dust that might escape my cabinet. If you blast in open air, some sort of respirator is definitely a must, as well as eye and body protection.

Anyway, a sand blaster is a very handy tool for reconditioning parts, or preparing metal for welding, etc. Here's my tank before and after getting ready for paint.

HTH, Bart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts