TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, gave the dunes a shot with my Tdub this weekend, and I didn't do too well. It's mostly me being too old and fat, and not the bike. I ate it 3 times, so before I hurt myself, I went back to riding quads. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tdub, just not on the dunes. That being said, I think if you're young and lighter, you could do OK on the dunes, but at 275 lbs, it just couldn't haul my ass around. I'll stick to trails in the woods, Oregon high desert and the streets.

Long live the Tdub!

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Get a big nasty tire:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm betting that ATV tire will dig in loose sand worse than most and probably be a hindrance. Now mud or loose dirt, it would be king.

Stock tires aired down.... way down, and you'll probably be surprised how well it works in sand.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How far down, I don't want to ruin my tire. Does anyone have a preference for PSI on sand?

Thanks!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Sand requires enough power to make enough speed that the tires plane across the sand. A TW doesn't have enough power to push a 550 pound bike and rider fast enough. Does not matter what size tires motorcycle tires you put on it. Wheelers have many times the contact area of a TW and float on sand rather well. Generally, dune motorcycles are 250cc and up high performance models with double or more a TW's power output. You won't see many adults on smallish bikes riding funes, it just doesn't work very well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sand requires enough power to make enough speed that the tires plane across the sand. A TW doesn't have enough power to push a 550 pound bike and rider fast enough. Does not matter what size tires motorcycle tires you put on it. Wheelers have many times the contact area of a TW and float on sand rather well. Generally, dune motorcycles are 250cc and up high performance models with double or more a TW's power output. You won't see many adults on smallish bikes riding funes, it just doesn't work very well.

Good info.. thanks querty

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very very nice.
Such a beautiful place Tok.

That's what California would look like.... without all the Californians.
I keeed, I keeeed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I guess I won't haul my fat butt out there on the dunes either.

I hit some soft sand the other day, and was starting up a hill. The front wheel went in, and I put my feet down, and they didn't touch.

Not even moving. Plup, Darn things are heavy tipping back up.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Chip, I don't have any riding experience with the Bighorn ATV tire in sand. A member from Australia, Ben Parry, put the Bighorn on so he could ride in sand dunes - so it must work there. I copied Ben, but I needed mine for mud. On the front is a Kenda K779, its a rear enduro tire - works great for my application. Cheers.

·
Registered
908 Posts
On the tire pressure idea...

I noticed that while riding on some sloppy nasty greasy trails, going from 20psi down to 10 psi was an amazing improvement in stability and traction. Not sure how low of psi you can safely go but thought I'd mention it.

I haven't tried my TW on beach sand yet. The sandy dunes in the high Cascade Mountains (Hoodoo / Big Lake OHV area) were a pain in the rear (not enough power)... but I was not aired down either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It works! I tried lowering the pressure and that did the trick, now I can scoot all around the dunes! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What kind of pump do you guys carry, if anything, to blow them up again when you get off the sand and back on the road?

A 12v air pump like from Slime ($10 at Walmart), or a bicycle type hand pump, or do you ride them home partially flat?

·
Registered
527 Posts
What kind of pump do you guys carry, if anything, to blow them up again when you get off the sand and back on the road?

A 12v air pump like from Slime ($10 at Walmart), or a bicycle type hand pump, or do you ride them home partially flat?

I have a foot pump that I carry in the Fat Max I have mounted on my TW. But in all honesty, I'm kind of lazy and have just been riding everywhere with them aired down and have had no issues.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I carry a hand pump, but it takes a lot of time to air a tire. I also carry a CO2 inflator because it will air a tire in seconds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts