TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do you have the capability to recharge this battery while riding?
It was not my plan. I have not looked into the electrical system on the bike. I figured the Bestek would have enough juice for a day of riding.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Adorable pants. :love:
Just kidding. I'd wear them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got out for a ride today to test the modifications. Added the saw this morning and it came in handy.

We had to cut through the log above.

Earlier on in the ride we came to an area I thought made for a good picture.

Doesn't look too hard. Well this was the hardest section today, as the puddles were deep. I thought I was going over the handle bars as I dropped into the first one. Wood was wet and slippery. At least the Scorpa has a short wheel base and is light oh so light that I was able to get through the roots with out too much work. The KTM, well it got hung up a few times.

Canterbury Mannor connector
GPS worked perfect in the woods. I thought it would loose connectivity, but it knew where I was the whole time.

Have I said How much I love this bike!

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
Although it's bigger than the battery your using, I have used my "jump starter" unit to power my GPS stuff on Squirrel as it has a 6-volt system. I just put it in a tank bag and run the cord up to the GPS mounted on the handlebar. You've given me the idea to "manufacture" a more permanent mount for this battery. I am relying less on using a GPS as much as I used to but I still have "need GPS" moments.
Is this T-Ride a 2 or 4 stroke engine? I only ask because from what I can see in the pictures the exhaust doesn't look like it has a typical 2-stroke exhaust chamber. I saw on some older models they used a WR250 motor. What motor does yours have?
The good thing about you having this Scorpa T-Ride is it will save you much-needed energy when you have to ride one of my 200's through a difficult spot.
Even with a lighter more agile bike, I'm still not sure I could have ridden up through that tough spot down at Fred's. I was kind of intimidated by it (i.e. chicken).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Scorpa has a 272 cc 2 stroke Sherco trials motor and is premix. The expansion chamber is in front of the rear wheel and also acts as a mud, dirt, etc guard. I run 100 to 1 optima in it.
Kris, I am riding stuff that made me cringe on the DT or turn back.
We need to take the DT and T-Ride and do that trail I had issues on around your place. You can ride the Scorpa and help me get the DT up the hill that dumped me last time. I might make it this time as I have a gummy tire on the DT.

the hill with the granite slab that a non gummy tire spins out on leading to a few seconds of terror.

the beautiful trail leading up to the steep hill climb. Don’t you want to ride it?

The view as one contemplates do I try the hill climb again.

Reactions: Ken and admiral

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
The Scorpa has a 272 cc 2 stroke Sherco trials motor and is premix. The expansion chamber is in front of the rear wheel and also acts as a mud, dirt, etc guard. I run 100 to 1 optima in it.
Kris, I am riding stuff that made me cringe on the DT or turn back.
We need to take the DT and T-Ride and do that trail I had issues on around your place. You can ride the Scorpa and help me get the DT up the hill that dumped me last time. I might make it this time as I have a gummy tire on the DT.
View attachment 210186
the hill with the granite slab that a non gummy tire spins out on leading to a few seconds of terror.

View attachment 210187
the beautiful trail leading up to the steep hill climb. Don’t you want to ride it?

View attachment 210188
The view as one contemplates do I try the hill climb again.
I do want to ride it. I contemplated riding (or trying to ride it) this year but didn't want to ride it alone. Early last summer I was hoping the Corona would have not exploded like it did as we kept wanting to put together another Admiral Gathering out of Frosty Hollow.
If the Corona continues and the imaginary "Berlin Wall" between the U.S. and Canada is still standing, then I'll try to talk Stig (Kyle) into riding it this next summer with me. When I try the Airline trail again I'm doing it with the XT200 but change the gearing to even more trail-oriented. The XT is about the same weight as your Scorpa but does lack a few ponies. After our Peace Creek Trail adventure with Fred, I put the stock XT200 gas tank back on to lighten the load for the trail. The larger XT350 Clarke tank did or could have come in handy on that ride but I don't really ride more than what the stock tank will give me. It's a good thought until I push it and run out of gas somewhere eh? :LOL:

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Some pictures of the exhaust

exhaust acts as a mud deflector.

other side of exhaust. Always have to take the seat off to get the mud out of this area.

Reactions: admiral

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
I don't know a lot about 2-strokes but is that a rare location for the expansion chamber on a 2-stroke? I've always seen the expansion chamber in the front. Kicker only I'm guessing without a battery eh?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't know a lot about 2-strokes but is that a rare location for the expansion chamber on a 2-stroke? I've always seen the expansion chamber in the front. Kicker only I'm guessing without a battery eh?
To keep it light, kicker only.
No idea, but it works.
We may get snow tomorrow then a sunny day on Tuesday.
Hope to get out and play a bit in the snow.

How are you liking the Duro in the snow?
I found it had traction until the skid plate started acting like a ski.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got out for some winter riding.
Spent a lot of the ride clearing the trail of trees.

Some were too big for my saw so we cut kickers to get over them.
Lots of riders were trail braiding to get around the downed trees.
I bought a BMMC membership to help support the trails.
Bent the shifter trying to get over one tree.

once out of the trees there was a fair bit of snow.

we turned around as it is a tough trail when you can see the boulders.

Fun times, but a bit chilly on the ride back to my place along the road.

A TW with a Duro is fun to ride in this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
Got out for some winter riding.
Spent a lot of the ride clearing the trail of trees.
View attachment 210304
Some were too big for my saw so we cut kickers to get over them.
Lots of riders were trail braiding to get around the downed trees.
I bought a BMMC membership to help support the trails.
Bent the shifter trying to get over one tree.
View attachment 210305
once out of the trees there was a fair bit of snow.
View attachment 210306
we turned around as it is a tough trail when you can see the boulders.
View attachment 210307
Fun times, but a bit chilly on the ride back to my place along the road.

A TW with a Duro is fun to ride in this stuff.
Looks refreshing. I hate ruts underneath the snow but snow-covered boulders ain't no fun either. I haven't even ridden in the snow this year. Probably won't other than the road to the mailbox and back. When I can I'll ride down in the desert.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Looks refreshing. I hate ruts underneath the snow but snow-covered boulders ain't no fun either. I haven't even ridden in the snow this year. Probably won't other than the road to the mailbox and back. When I can I'll ride down in the desert.
The Duro is fun in the snow, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Got out today for a 38km ride. Changed the oil to castrol 15/40 diesel oil and found the clutch was hanging so will change it again and try some ATF. On the real tight corners I like to almost come to a stop with the clutch pulled and ease around the corner using the clutch. It is a trials thing. I also look for the path less travelled and try lines most bikes can’t line up for.
And of course today was another throw back Thursday.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It was a nice day today, but there was a bit of wind and last night there was a nasty wind storm so I decided to start all the bikes, let them run, change the oil in the Scorpa and take some picture of the TW next to the Scorpa.

View of right rear

View of front

Front angle view

Right Side view

The Scorpa is not much taller and sags a bit when you sit on it, otherwise they are pretty similar in size.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
It was a nice day today, but there was a bit of wind and last night there was a nasty wind storm so I decided to start all the bikes, let them run, change the oil in the Scorpa and take some picture of the TW next to the Scorpa.
View attachment 210892
View of right rear
View attachment 210893
View of front
View attachment 210894
Front angle view
View attachment 210897
Right Side view

The Scorpa is not much taller and sags a bit when you sit on it, otherwise they are pretty similar in size.
Sun and no snow in the back yard eh? Looks like summer haha.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sun and no snow in the back yard eh? Looks like summer haha.
Winter comes and goes down here. Had a beer while enjoying the afternoon sun. Tomorrow I ride.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got out today and tackled some nasty trails. T-Ride just goes up and over anything I point it at. I just have to have the nerve to crack the throttle.
Tried a new trail today and will not ride it again as the ATVs can get in from the top. Trail was chewed to s....... almost lost my bike in a puddle, front wheel almost under water and sinking. Another of my favourite trails (Dr. Dementos) has been chew to .... from too many riders who just do not know how to ride in the bush. I use to take the DT on this trail, not anymore. It was still a good ride, but it is sad the the trails are taking a beating.
Here is a pic from the start of the ride.

You can see the damage to the trail from guys who just need to constantly spin their rear tire, either on purpose or because they have the wrong tire pressure an or the wrong tire.
You can’t even see my track in the pic, but you can see my friends.
Looking up the trail.
No more snow.
We did cut a number of trees to clear the trails.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ordered a Tubliss system for the front and some replacements parts for a Tubliss rear system I already have.
They will be going on the bike. Rear wheel does not have a rim lock and I have had to re-adjust the tube as the wheel has slipped.
With the Tubliss system I will be able to run extremely low tire pressure with out worrying about damaging the rims.
I am thinking of running ~ 3 psi on the trails. I will need to run a higher pressure on the road.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I haven't kept up with bikes that aren't street legal much in the last ten years.
So I never even heard of it..
WOW It looks like a great bike , built of unobtainium in the us
Probably a good thing for my financial situation..
I loved my two strokes.
Yamaha dt 250 / 400
husky. 360
Yamaha. Yz. 480 / 250
Maico 250
I would love to have another one
Ktms are just insanely priced and maintenance levels extremely high!!!
When you have some extra time would you please tell us all about this great little bike
that seems to do such a fantastic job for you.
I'm sure the praise of the performance of this bike belongs to the rider as well as the bike..
Mike from NC

Reactions: admiral and ejfranz
21 - 40 of 42 Posts