TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I haven't kept up with bikes that aren't street legal much in the last ten years.
So I never even heard of it..
WOW It looks like a great bike , built of unobtainium in the us
Probably a good thing for my financial situation..
I loved my two strokes.
Yamaha dt 250 / 400
husky. 360
Yamaha. Yz. 480 / 250
Maico 250
I would love to have another one
Ktms are just insanely priced and maintenance levels extremely high!!!
When you have some extra time would you please tell us all about this great little bike
that seems to do such a fantastic job for you.
I'm sure the praise of the performance of this bike belongs to the rider as well as the bike..
Mike from NC
I paid $8k + taxes CND. A new KTM would be close to 12k + taxes.
My friend with the KTM 300 XCW is considering getting a T-Ride. We both use to ride WR250R’s up at McNutt. He got the KTM to be his cheater bike for McNutt. He is faster on his bike on the more flowing sections , but when the going get tough the T-Ride just seems to flow over it and the KTM becomes a pig. On our last ride he took a hard hit trying to follow me over a rooted ledge. I was surprised I made it up and over and stopped to see how he did. Well he did not make it and came to an abrupt stop and fell over. It took us a few minutes to un wedge his bike.
On the tight twisty sections he feels he is faster on the Scorpa and has many option for tracks to to follow.
I am looking for different sprockets for the bike as I have only used 1 gear once and second 3 or 4 times, 3rd gear seems to work best on most trails with 4th being used now and again when I want to go faster. There is a bit of a jump going from 3rd to 4th and a huge jump from 4th to 5th.
The T-Ride can be considered the TW of the 2 strokes. It is a fun bike to ride slow. With the DT200, I was always to busy concentrating on the trail trying to get a line that would work. With the T-Ride, I can look around and actually enjoy the surrounding more.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I paid $8k + taxes CND. A new KTM would be close to 12k + taxes.
My friend with the KTM 300 XCW is considering getting a T-Ride. We both use to ride WR250R’s up at McNutt. He got the KTM to be his cheater bike for McNutt. He is faster on his bike on the more flowing sections , but when the going get tough the T-Ride just seems to flow over it and the KTM becomes a pig. On our last ride he took a hard hit trying to follow me over a rooted ledge. I was surprised I made it up and over and stopped to see how he did. Well he did not make it and came to an abrupt stop and fell over. It took us a few minutes to un wedge his bike.
On the tight twisty sections he feels he is faster on the Scorpa and has many option for tracks to to follow.
I am looking for different sprockets for the bike as I have only used 1 gear once and second 3 or 4 times, 3rd gear seems to work best on most trails with 4th being used now and again when I want to go faster. There is a bit of a jump going from 3rd to 4th and a huge jump from 4th to 5th.
The T-Ride can be considered the TW of the 2 strokes. It is a fun bike to ride slow. With the DT200, I was always to busy concentrating on the trail trying to get a line that would work. With the T-Ride, I can look around and actually enjoy the surrounding more.
Thank you for the review !
I hope they make it to the states one day.
Mike from nc

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I got out yesterday and the Scorpa finally met it's match.
It had snowed the day before and we decided to try a new trail (Smokestack Lightning) which had about an inch of fresh snow at the bottom and it got deeper as we headed up. This is a black diamond trail with root steps that would not be an issue without the snow, but with the snow I just could not get the traction needed before the steps so I was only able to get the front wheel up and had to lift the rear of the bike over. Luckly the bike is lite and with the grab handle I have, not that bad. But, my friends 300 required both of us to get it up many of the steps. We finally had to turn around as I could not see the trail with all the snow. I had a slow motion crash just before we turned around. I put my foot out and it sank through the snow and then sank down into a mud pit causing the bike and I to lie down.
I tried filming with my phone attached to the handle bars, but there was just too much vibration. I Amy try to extract some footage that is not too distorted.

Reactions: admiral

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
It must be tough riding if you had to turn around. Whew!

One of these days I should go at least start the motors on the fleet. The only engine I'll be starting today is the snowblower and ATV/plow. Ugh! Had a riding trip planned for a few days departing tomorrow but snow/rain here and where I was gonna go. Have a new "recon camper" now for short quick trips.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Finally, my tubliss system has arrived.

and with the parts from my last tubliss

I can work on getting it installed. Temperature is supposed to drop to -12 Celsius this week. So, I took the wheels off the Scorpa and will work on installing inside the house.
Hopefully the deep freeze does not last too long.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Ahhh...Come On!!! There's nothing like working on frozen rubber and rims that will freeze to your fingers. ( Say's the guy from Florida) :LOL:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Finally got motivated and installed the tubliss. Linda had to help me get the tires on.
If you watch the video put out by Tubliss, and then go do the install you may feel a bit inadequate. I struggled, she just seems to flow through the installation.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Beautiful day today,
Got out and tried the tubliss. Ran 4.5 psi front and rear once I got to the trail head.
The trail at the start had frozen into an ice stream. Adam got off his bike and walked it along. I stayed on the bike and was able to ride over with my feet down, just in case. Rear tire did not spin. Lots of little Ice rivers on our ride and a frozen tree/root climb which I did not hit with enough momentum so ended up on my butt. It was a 4.5’ climb at 80 degrees. I got the front tire up, but had no traction on the frozen wood so spun out and lost my balance. Resulting in me on my butt and back. Bike stayed on the incline. We turned around at that point. Rest of the ride had some pucker factors when coming around a corner and ending up on an ice sheet.
The tubliss allowed the tires to find traction almost everywhere. We went back to the hill climbs and nothing there phased us. Last time we were there it was more chewed up and was a bit tricky in some spots. Today, the rear tire just hooked up.

We are expecting more snow for tomorrow, but hopefully can get out again in a few day.

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
Beautiful day today,
Got out and tried the tubliss. Ran 4.5 psi front and rear once I got to the trail head.
The trail at the start had frozen into an ice stream. Adam got of his bike and walked it along. I stayed on the bike and was able to ride over with my feet down, just in case. Rear tire did not spin. Lots of little Ice rivers on our ride and a frozen tree/root climb which I did not hit with enough momentum so ended up on my butt. It was a 4.5’ climb at 80 degrees. I got the front tire up, but had no traction on the frozen wood so spun out and lost my balance. Resulting in me on my butt and back. Bike stayed on the incline. We turned around at that point. Rest of the ride had some pucker factors when coming around a corner and ending up on an ice sheet.
The tubliss allowed the tires to find traction almost everywhere. We went back to the hill climbs and nothing there phased us. Last time we were there it was more chewed up and was a bit tricky in some spots. Todaytire just hooked up.
View attachment 211791

View attachment 211792
We are expecting more snow for tomorrow, but hopefully can get out again in a few day.
I wish I could go riding. I'd like the weather to get better down in the valley so at least I could haul down there for some riding but it's snowed down there too these past several days. Take a little while to dry out once the snow melts. Up here, well, I rode the ATV to the dumpster and back...again.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Last weeks ride was not as fun as the tires have lost their magic grip even though I am running 4.5 psi. So time for new tires, but what? as I only have 550 km on them of mostly hard single track. Then I saw this
U
I spent over a hour re-edging all the rear tire knobs (trials tire - too many knobs) and adding sipes.
Yesterday went out for 5-6 hours of riding and the magic was back!
Wet rock that I was sliding all over last week, I was now tracking along on the cambered faces without the bike deciding to swing around and face up the rock.

Some pictures from the day

Easy stream crossing. This is one of the nicer bridges.

another bridge, not too bad, but there are some that scare the .... out of me.

Took the wrong line. Look Mom, no kick stand needed. Luckily the bike is lite and pulled out without too much effort.

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
Last weeks ride was not as fun as the tires have lost their magic grip even though I am running 4.5 psi. So time for new tires, but what? as I only have 550 km on them of mostly hard single track. Then I saw this
View attachment 213254 U
I spent over a hour re-edging all the rear tire knobs (trials tire - too many knobs) and adding sipes.
Yesterday went out for 5-6 hours of riding and the magic was back!
Wet rock that I was sliding all over last week, I was now tracking along on the cambered faces without the bike deciding to swing around and face up the rock.

Some pictures from the day
View attachment 213255
Easy stream crossing. This is one of the nicer bridges.

View attachment 213256
another bridge, not too bad, but there are some that scare the .... out of me.

View attachment 213257
Took the wrong line. Look Mom, no kick stand needed. Luckily the bike is lite and pulled out without too much effort.
It looks damp out there lol. I tried edging a stock TW tire using an old electric kitchen knife. While the cutting part worked I didn't notice any difference in gripe with the "edged tires". Of course, it was the wrong tool for the job and after all, the tire is completely different than your tires on the Scorpa.

...and all this time I thought this was a "Sniper Kit". :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have already went through a set of rear brake pads and they are not cheap, ~ $50 CND for a set of pads. I need to find a better suppler. The OEM are a few dollars cheaper than the EBC ones.
Any ways I digress, I think part of the issue is that the brake does not fully release and that may be do to the design. There is no brake pedal return spring. Today I took the Xingue brake pedal return spring and installed it on the Scorpa.
Drilled 2 holes and

Reactions: Xracer

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Put a new tire on the front, Shinko gummy fat cheater. I did not get it seated properly, but it held air long enough to do 4-5 h of riding the other day.
The tire has transformed the bike. Tire hooks up well in everything I threw at it or what McNutt could offer. Bike handles better on rocky roads inspiring one to go faster. It also carved better in the tight twisties allowing 4th gear speeds.
Got a phone call that my new rear tire is in, Motoz Gummy mountain hybrid. Hopefully I can spoon it on tomorrow and test it out on Sunday.

Lunch break after climbing rock face out of creek.

end of the line, too much snow so we turned around. I was amazed the trials tire climbed the chewed up hill prior to this. But it was at 3 psi and seemed to find traction all day long.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here is a video of one of the black diamond trails on McNutt, not us, but we did it a few days ago. Spiny Norman on McNutt and had a blast. Will definitely do it again.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The Scorpa has new shoes, front and rear now.

Shinko 216MX Cheater Fat Tire 90/100-21

Mountain Hybrid gummy 110/100

I will take it for a Spin tomorrow, when the mountain is less crowded.

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
The Scorpa has new shoes, front and rear now.
View attachment 214065
Shinko 216MX Cheater Fat Tire 90/100-21
View attachment 214066

Mountain Hybrid gummy 110/100

View attachment 214067

I will take it for a Spin tomorrow, when the mountain is less crowded.
Boy, you are continually cheating. First you buy a lightweight motorcycle for the very technical McNuckets Mtn. (cheating) and now a cheating tire, (cheating again). Of course as the old saying goes, "if you ain't cheat'in you ain't trying. If you get caught you weren't trying hard enough"! I hope you'll still want to ride with us "non-cheaters" one day! haha

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Counting the days till I can ride with you and the TW gang.
I am not sure I like the rear tire, may have to play with pressure, ran 5 psi front and rear today. Felt some spin in areas I was not expecting it. Bike has 700 km on it. 2/3 of that is hard riding.

The problem with going up Gordies is you have not warmed up by the first obstacle. So I was very un-graceful going over it. Otherwise, love going up this trail.

Decided to try Tunnel of Shove after doing Spiney Normans. Also did Spiney Normans on the way out as I had to turn around do to too many trees down,

A little bit of a sketchy bridge. I added the tree on the left. Trail was hard to follow as it has not been ridden in a while. Coming off One bridge, I nearly endoed in a big mud bug. Coming back was even more fun. The new tire throws a lot more mud. Linda had to shower me down as I was cover in

Nice bridge crossing on Dr, Dementos.

Looking up the trail from one of many bridges on the trail.

Cut my ride short. Hope I can bend it out again,
4 hours of riding 3.5 hours of it on McNutt.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts