TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to "Canada's largest motorcycle scrapyard" tomorrow to look for a few bit.

Mainly a new tank of the xt225/350 variety. Maybe a ,watching seat Pam for a graph.

Also hoping to grab a longer rear brake arm off a xt350 or similair.

I've called today and he said he has quite a few Yamaha's.

What would you pick off of a pile of old bikes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'd take a measuring tape, some calipers, some tools, a camera, an open mind and a list of everything that bugs you about your bike.

If at all possible I'd take the most important thing, the bike itself. It's a lot easier to tell if that longer shifter or brake arm is in fact gunna work out if you have access to yours. Boneyards usually won't let you return things and once you've bought it, it's yourn.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
May consider looking for some forks, headlights, gas tanks, pegs, skidplates, etc...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Can you buy the whole yard?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hey,

Where is this place? I find scrap yards so hard to come by nowadays in my neck of the woods.
I actually had a conversation with a fella I met not too long ago about this very subject. He was looking for parts for his '70s enduro, but all of the old moto junkyards he used to frequent years ago have closed up shop. I told him to check out ebay, which is at once a great resource and a big driver of higher prices for old and used moto parts. With ebay and the interwebs we've got today, why would a guy let an old junker bike sit in a u-pull-it yard for 20 years when he could take it apart himself and sell it in pieces for much higher prices over the next few weeks or months online?

A big motorcycle junkyard sounds like a pretty fun place to me, happy hunting Braden!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is there anyway you could get me a CDI unit for a 1987? I am also looking for a CDI unit from an 88-00 TW! I will pay you handsomely!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am bribing my bike there so I can only bring back what will fit on my rack. I have my tool kit and a measuring tape. A caliber would have been handy but having the bike there should compensate.

I'm going to Peterborough cycle salvage. I believe its owned with another salvage shop 'Ontario cycle salvage' but they're all street bikes.

As for the suggestions thanks a ton! I'll be looking out for a tank, brake arm, shifter, skid plate.

And if there's tw's I'll rip out some cdi's

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Came back with only a longer kickstand and brake lever. Pretty interesting to see though. Unfortunately it was more a Honda graveyard though. Only 10-15 or so Yamaha dirt bikes but they were all stripped pretty bare.

Found one xt tank except it looked a bit bigger then a 350 and was fairly rusted out. With a pretty gnarly side.

There's one more salvage yard to visit that's not too far away. Maybe in a couple weeks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts